Duck Hunting Forum banner

Favorite Diver decoys

7K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  walnuts4x4 
#1 ·
I know alot of brands of decoys exist but I own GHG Redheads, Cans, Bluebills and Buffleheads and Tanglefree Migration edition Cans, redheads, Bluebills, and goldeneyes. After a full season of running the Tanglefrees I must say they are a really great decoy! I know they are much heavier than the GHGs but so what I hunt from a boat and they look awesome and are withstanding late season abuse. :thumbsup:

#2 ·
I bought some of the tanglefree GE's this year, they are the only factory made diver decoy I have ever hunted over and I like them alot. They are way to big though, they almost look like little geese sitting out there in a line lol. I have been lucky enough to have a Dad that made about 13 dozen bills,cans,redheads out of blueboard and burlap rapped with flocked heads about 10 years ago and I hunt over them exclusively. I always get complimented on them and have considered actually making them and selling them, it is really not that hard or expensive at all just time consuming. There are some companies out there that sell them if you look into it, however paying 300 dollars for 12 decoys is crazy in my oppinion.

If you have the means and time, I would consider looking into making your own to anyone reading this. It really is easy and is something to keep you "in the game" during the off season . :thumbsup:

#3 ·
I would make the same recommendation as Chris did, make your own if possible. I did designs the tanglefree decoys, but still prefer to hunt over my two burlapped foam decoys. I don't mind the oversized decoys, but lifesize work just as well. I probably will keep hunting with these two for many more years, we've been running them about 6 or 7 years now I think. The tanglefrees and higdons are foam filled which is always a plus for diver decoys.

#5 ·
That is great great advice to make your own decoys but Chasing 2 little girls around, dance practice, recitals, working full time and part time etc. Making them just isnt in the cards. I spent a little extra money on some good quality decoys ( on sale at cabelas 49.99 per six) so 100 per 12 and had gift cards saved up. :thumbsup: I also have a pile of ghg. I was simply giving a kudos to the makers of Tanglefree. My only complaint was that the heads are a bit to dark on the Cans and redheads. They sure didnt seem to mind when they dive bombed the spread :beer:

#12 ·
While I am not heavy into diver hunting I do a little on Tampa bay. I bought quite a few of the cheaper mallards by the dozen when on sale. Since Blue bills are black and white it was easy to repaint them. My decoys look good for spray paint and I have yet to have the blue bills we shot over them every hunt I did disagree with me. I just simply can't see paying $60 for a half dozen blue bill decoys when I can spend $37 on a dozen mallards and 15 minutes of painting.

The ones in the back of the pic we're freshly touched up. The ones in front had yet to be. The blue I used for the bills was a bit bright but it dulls out after it dries. As you can see I've got a mix and random decoys that have been repurposed. I am working on adding about 8 dozen more as we will be doing some layout hunting next year.

#14 ·
WOW! awesome info guys and those decoys look like id hunt over them :thumbsup: ...Honestly, at the end of the day they are ducks, divers arent the smartest out of the bunch so if you have a decent looking spread in a spot they want to be youll get some good shooting in. Awesome spread in bad area? ehhh, you might kill a few. Lots of choices lots of different ways to skin a duck out there. :yes:

#20 ·
Worth your time to check out Traditions decoys-affiliated with ure a duck-I bought a dozen ge decoys. Don't overlook the hens which make a big difference on how a spread looks to ducks. They are tough as nails and ride the waves like battleships. Another company to consider is Banded decoys. Their diver decoys are ultra realistic. I only used mine once this season so can't say how paint stands up but they look and float amazin. They were tough to find "in stock" but maybe next season they will be better prepared. I also love the homemade-always wanted to start carving cork--four kids at my house and two of them starting hunting, barely have time to wipe my nose!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.