new greenhead gear decoys

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

new greenhead gear decoys

Postby suskiedrake » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:18 pm

I have heard that GHG has come out with new oversized canvasback and black duck decoys this year but have yet to see them update there site with this. Does anyone know if there is truth to this?????And if so if they are one the market yet???
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby firebird » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:59 pm

I saw them in Mack's Prairie Wings catalog. They have a website at www.mackspw.com or call1-800-229-0296. I'm sure the other major catalogs will have them as well but that is the only one on my doorstep so far.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:25 am

Thanks there they are I see they also put out Eurasian widgeons this season.....I was really hoping for buffleheads and goldeneyes but the cans will giving my spread a little more color........
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:10 pm

I love GHG.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby texan68 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:42 pm

those redheads look great, but I wish they came in the Lifesize series.
texan68
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:51 pm

i dont use oversize. :umm:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby texan68 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:25 am

Gooseboy wrote:i dont use oversize. :umm:

:thumbsup:
texan68
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:56 pm

Its time for science :thumbsup: alright lets learn how ducks see . (A biologest told me this) ducks can't tell size much like many other birds so a larger decoy is just that much more for a duck to see while if youlike more numbers and want to fit as many decoys into your boat/pack as you can you may not want the mags but other then that mags are better then standered size dekes
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:06 pm

I personally saw the Canvass backs at a show a month ago. They look awesome. And the oversized is not really that much over size. I actully think they are close to life size myself.

but the dekes look nice. :thumbsup:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby firebird » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:41 pm

I bought a dozen of them. Compared to the canvasbacks I have mounted in my home they are much larger. I wish they had painted up some hens as well. I am experimenting doing it myself with good results. I took some on a dog training afternoon and they float nice, very realistic looking and outstanding visibility. Time will tell about the paint-jobs and durability. I only shoot one or two bull cans a year but am excited to set these out on an overcast day with alittle wind and see what I can do.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby pitboss » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:32 am

am planning on adding both the cans and redheads to my rig this year... some good looking birds :thumbsup:

jeff
pitboss
hunter

Postby easternshorehunter » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:13 pm

just saw the cans and blacks at the store and they are simply amazing
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:29 pm

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby suskiedrake » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:40 am

I got myself a dozen on Saturday and they are smokin!!!! I just hope the paint holds up I have had some GHG's that didnt. There was an Avery pro-staffer at Cabelas when I got my Cans, and he did tell me that goldeneyes are definitely on table but they ran out of time this season same on the buffies. But they have been getting alot of feedback on those two speices, so keep the pressure on guys we should have them next season.
Jayson Wilt
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Team Strait Meat
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby diverduck » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:13 am

They are good looking decoys but I dont like the snap lock keel.
diverduck
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:48 pm

I hear you there with the keel , but I have never lost one yet and I hunt some serious current on the river
Jayson Wilt
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Team Strait Meat
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby smitgonhunting » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:12 pm

I got this off the net- if anybody wants to give it a try.....The first step we took was to try and find a product that would give the decoy paint a protective finish without a lot of glare. After spending a considerable amount of money and trying a lot of products, we found a product that has worked extremely well for us to provide a protective finish without a tremendous amount of shine or glare. (One thing to keep in mind about real ducks on the water, on sunny days they give off a natural sheen because of the water and feather oil, so don't be too concerned if you have some shine to your decoys. It will look natural on the water.) The product that we use is: Krylon 1311 Matt Finish that can be purchased at most Wal-Marts and home improvement stores.

Typically we will spray our decoys with 2 coats of the Matt-Finish but if these are decoys that will get a lot of abuse (i.e. carried in bags, tossed into boats) we'll give them up to 4 coats. Last year, Jeff M sprayed some new Avery life-size and over-sized mallard decoys with 4 coats and carried them in bags and threw them in boats and when we recently checked them they had only minimal chips and paint rub off. Once we have the original coat on we will then respray the decoys each year before then season begins.

Im going to give it a try. anybody else who gives it a try let me know.
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue."
smitgonhunting
hunter

Postby firebird » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:35 am

I tried the GHG mallard feeders this week and was amazed how good they looked. I was in light wind and they move really seductively. I haven't had them in strong wind yet but love the look and the bobbing motion.
firebird
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:03 pm

diverduck wrote:They are good looking decoys but I dont like the snap lock keel.

What in your opinion is wrong with this design. IMHO...it's the best on the market.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby diverduck » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:50 am

when hunting big water using 20' of line you have no room for your line on the keels. The ones that I have used seem to come off about every third use. That is my opnion. I like the puddle ducks in GHG but if I am looking for quality divers I go with G&H or Herters. I like the swivel heads which help to lock my weights in place. GHG there is always a big ball of mess in my decoy bag.
diverduck
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting