Best Diver Duck Decoys?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Best Diver Duck Decoys?

Postby Diver Danner » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:28 pm

I'm thinking about ditching all of my cheapo diver decoys and go to a smaller more realistic spread. Any suggestions?
Diver Danner

Cork Duck Decoys

Postby AddictedtoQuack » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:53 pm

If you want to have decoys that last, you gotta go with cork. They hold up forever and look nice when painted.
AddictedtoQuack
hunter

Canvasback

Postby AddictedtoQuack » Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:28 pm

Does anyone know which states allow shooting canvasbacks?
AddictedtoQuack
hunter

dekes

Postby Mallard Man » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:21 pm

I would go with G&H they are the best!!
Mallard Man

Re: Canvasback

Postby KP » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:31 pm

AddictedtoQuack wrote:Does anyone know which states allow shooting canvasbacks?

If I recall they have a 30-day season in Iowa.
KP

diver dekes

Postby CANEMAN » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:51 pm

I agree with Mallard Man. G&H or nothing. I wouldn't even consider Herters. I've had trouble keeping heads on em. :wink:
CANEMAN
hunter

Postby waterfowlfool » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:34 pm

I think here in florida it will be opened aaina nd Im going to Md. and the guide says theres a great chance there as well ...Good luck
waterfowlfool

Re: Best Diver Duck Decoys?

Postby waterfowlfool » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:37 pm

Diver Danner wrote:I'm thinking about ditching all of my cheap diver decoys and go to a smaller more realistic spread. Any suggestions?
Go cork, Herters fall apart and simply dont hold up. Greenbhead gear.com came out with cheap but great looking plastic deeks with removable keels I got some their nice, G&H are awesome PLASTIC deeks but man plastic...but with the plastics you shoot them their gone. Save up and go cork ..cant go wrong ! Later
waterfowlfool

Diver Decoys

Postby Ohio Guest » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:45 am

I just bought a layout boat for hunting divers this fall. Does anyone have suggestions on what size decoys to use. I bought some of the lifesize though some people seem to be getting the magnum and super magnum. I thought the larger ones would spook the duck at close range. Please send any ideas. Thanks
Ohio Guest

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:07 am

You can shoot 1 per day in Michigan, provided you eat it quickly as you cannot have more than a couple in possesion.

Postby michgnhntr » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:45 am

"YOU CAN SHOOT 1 PER DAY IN MICHIGAN"
michgnhntr
hunter

Re: Best Diver Duck Decoys?

Postby michgnhntr » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:47 am

Diver Danner wrote:I'm thinking about ditching all of my cheapo diver decoys and go to a smaller more realistic spread. Any suggestions?
I USE HERTERS DECOYS, THE MAGNUM SIZE AND ARE MADE OF SOLID STYROFOAM, I HUNT THE OPEN WATERS OF SAGINAW BAY IN MICHIGAN AND THEY HAVE PERFORMED FANTASTIC FOR ME.
michgnhntr
hunter

Postby Blockduck » Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:37 pm

The bottom line is that a piece of wood panted with a black-white-black paint scheme will pull divers. I personally don't worry too much about what my decoys look like as I have been pulling ducks with them for years. Looks are mostly for the hunters' liking. JMHO
Blockduck
Newb

Best diver decoy

Postby blacklab25 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:03 pm

I would strongly suggest using Herter's Ultimate or Burlap decoys. They are alot cheaper than cork and lighter. The paint holds up pretty good. I bought 2 dozen plain and painted them myself for about $115 a dozen for the ultimate magnums. They are solid styrofoam with a hard plastic shell. As with any diver hunter, the decoys will get shot, and they hold up extremely well. The advantage of painting yourself is you can make more drakes than hens which works out alot better. Look into Cabela's for the prices.
blacklab25

Postby remington man » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:28 pm

yes.. Loiusiana allows one MALE per year
remington man

decoys

Postby diver danner » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:47 am

I sugeest that u buy a brand of decoys called green head gear they are not expenseive and there durabule
diver danner

Postby noway » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:04 am

Does anyone know which states allow shooting canvasbacks?

You can hunt Canvasbacks until Dec26 in the state of FL quanity of 1.
noway
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:48 pm

i would go with the armored herter decoy or the burlap thats the way to go but if u got the money it seems that everyone says that the corks are the best
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby montanaquackers » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:26 pm

KP wrote:

If I recall they have a 30-day season in Iowa.

Montana allows the harvest of one canvasback from opening weekend (last weekend in sept. or first weekend in oct.) until the very beginning of december. this past season cans closed dec. 2, and opening day was oct 4. these dates were good for the part of the state the falls into the Pacific flyway. The portion of the state in the central flyway opened oct 4 and closed nov. 11 allowing the harvest of one canvasback also. The same dates and limits held for pintails.
montanaquackers
Newb

Decoys

Postby Anatidae » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:09 pm

Although G&H makes a puddle duck decoy, their divers don't have the right proportions. (Width/height vs. length) In heavy wind they blow over. So do Carrylites which are rounded on the bottom. Foam or cork decoys have the edge when it comes to divers. You can shoot the birds when they are flying through the decoys without sinking them.

We have moved to super Mag foam decoys and foam filled plastic decoys. The greenhead Gear decoys are the best looking production decoy on the market, but they are too small for big water hunting. Fred Zink did a great job on the paint this time. Foreget those who say use all drakes. Market hunters used 50/50 ratio.

We hunt the Great Lakes from boat blinds and layout boats and have learned what has been best for us over the years.

Anatidae
Anatidae
hunter

Postby Jeepman:-) » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:05 pm

WA allows killin Cans, as for the dekes I have to agree with the Herters. I have about 3 doz divers and love the burlaps but cant seem to find them anymore. The other armored herters are also nice but stay away from the photo enhanced ones, they are not very durable
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of HIGH EXPLOSIVES!
Jeepman:-)
hunter

Postby 20gauge24 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:09 pm

CA alows canvasback killing only one though
The worst duck hunt is the best day of work.
20gauge24
hunter

Postby rivrduk » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:31 pm

For an inexpensive diver decoy pant a black wing patch on a white bleach jug. I have had the best luck with using the 2.5 qt jug. I don't know if the cap comes in any other color than red. My wife only buys the red cap blech jug, pant it white. After jugging for Divers in the Winter, I take the jugs to the Catfish in the Spring.
rivrduk
hunter

Postby Layout » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:36 pm

I use herters, McCords, and Toledo's. :thumbsup: The Toledo's are bulletproof litterally speaking. Use as many blocks as you can. Sometimes you can get away with 60 or so and still bring in divers. We usually go with around 90. What kind of layout did ya buy?

Yep 1 can in Mi.
A ton of lead anchors

- Long live the retired "duck bus".
Layout
hunter

More White showing the better

Postby MinnDuck » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:07 pm

I have experienced dekes with more white especially on the back off the deke like bluebill dekes with a good patch of white or canvasbacks are great.
MinnDuck
hunter

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting