Best Diver Duck Decoys?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Postby Hunten E Guy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:08 pm

if u hunt alot of large oped water, then get the biggest decoys you can find, i have herters magnum goose decoys that are painted up to many different type of divers, and we always have gigantic flocks coming into us
Hunten E Guy
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:01 am

for diver decoys i like the nuemann and bennett plastiduks best. heres there website. there foam filled so they wont sink if they get shot.
http://www.decoy1.com/Ducks.htm
we have a sixty day season here in idaho for cans and pintails.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby teamberetta1 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:48 pm

G&H decoys are the best ever.
teamberetta1
Newb

Postby InTheDecoys » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:57 pm

Quote Anitdae -Although G&H makes a puddle duck decoy, their divers don't have the right proportions. (Width/height vs. length) In heavy wind they blow over. So do Carrylites which are rounded on the bottom.
How do you see they don't have the right proportions. Their CAns are perfect. So are their others. Best decoy on the market for plastics. I have used them in 35 MPH winds and they stand strong. As for Carry-Lites (WEighted Keel) they are the same in 35 MPH winds they stand strong. The only ones that roll over were our flambeau WATER KEEL Bills.
InTheDecoys.... Take em
InTheDecoys
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:00 pm

you can hunt canvasbacks from the season opener(sept. 20) to nov. 2nd which is also our pintail season.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby DucSmoker » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:13 pm

I bought some green head gear snaplock diver decoys and they look so real it is scary.
Jesus Is Lord
DucSmoker
Newb

Canvasbacks

Postby roughboner69 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:41 pm

No one needs to be shooting any canvasbacks if we want any for years to come. There's not near enough to hunt. I had two land in my decoys and passed em up.
roughboner69
hunter

Postby DUCKSLAYER4LIFE » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:40 pm

you can shoot one in MN and have two in possesion. I like herters decoys but flambeau's look good but don't hold up.
DUCKSLAYER4LIFE
hunter

canvasback season

Postby takeem » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:35 am

Unfortunately, across the border in Ontario, Canada, you can take 6 canvasback per day. Which doesn't help the numbers, especially when 400 yards away in Michigan it is one per day.
takeem
Newb

Postby AK Ducks » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:28 pm

its one canvasback a day in alsaka but where I live there aren't very many that come through so your lucky if you get one per year.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby texan68 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:24 am

texas allows one a day only during a late 30 day season at the end of the main season along with pintails
texan68
hunter

Postby 10 ga. » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:39 pm

Ive been collecting old plastic decoys or rubber or what ever I can find for cheap .I paint them all up black and white and just throw out a ton of them I have been even considering doing the jug Idea for number. I will say that I like my herders decoys the best.
10 ga.
DHC Sponsor

Postby texas_quackwakker » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:49 pm

I use Greenhead Gear Bluebills and have had phenomenal luck. I throw out alot though (6-7 dozen). The public water where I hunt is full of divers so I just go with the flow, not too many mallards, woodys, pintails or gadwalls. I have hunted waterfowl for 8 years and have yet to shoot a pintail or mallard....still trying like hell though.

The greenhead gear dekes are relativley cheap ($54.99 a dozen or so) and if I shoot one (if you hunt divers much I dont care who you are, your gonna shoot your dekes) I drill holes in the bottom and fill them with that foam insulation stuff you get at the hardware store. You cant believe how good that works. You gotta try it!

As far as size goes...I want a large spread as opposed to large dekes...seems to work better where I hunt> :salude:
texas_quackwakker
hunter

Postby SLAMMINERIE » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:07 am

ohio allows one a day.for layout shooting i use restele and herters and ghg mags and supermage i run a min of 240 dekes :smile: [/b]
SLAMMINERIE
hunter

diver decoys

Postby Rogue » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:24 am

don't get smaller diver decoys, you want big magnum size decoys so that the divers will see them from a far distance. REdheads, Canvasbacks and bluebills should be magnum size, buffleheads, goldeneye can be standard size. The bigger the better.
Rogue
Newb

greenhead decoys

Postby Rogue » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:27 am

DucSmoker wrote:I bought some green head gear snaplock diver decoys and they look so real it is scary.

greenhead dekes are cheap to purchase, but you will find that they won't last a long time especially the paint, it comes off very easily, try G&H excellent dekes
Rogue
Newb

Postby Rogue » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:37 am

:smile: G&H decoys are the best as far as plastic goes, or you can go with cork, but the paint doesn't last too long on them. I use G&H and have had them for years without painting or replacing, great decoy and worth the money.
Rogue
Newb

Re: Canvasback

Postby Robberwood » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:17 am

AddictedtoQuack wrote:Does anyone know which states allow shooting canvasbacks?

Here in washington we can take one a day for the last 3 months of the season... if u can find them!
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:53 pm

New York allows one per day. Go with Herters 72s. Ive had mine for ten years. They ride high and work great. Ive only lost one head and not because it broke, but because my son shot it off.
State Moderator

Postby athomeruddy » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:07 am

corkers, and also plastiduk dekes are nice.
athomeruddy
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:10 pm

I had a spell to where I sold all of my plastics and went with foams. I had Restles, Herters, as well as alot of the others out there on the market. They each had their ups and downs but weight was a huge factor since we had so far to go in the boats. So then I got on this kick that I could go with better looking decoys and downsize my spread. So I started carving corks and buying E Allens, Blackwater's and such.
I quickly learned that corks are high maintance decoys and that you had to repair any decoy if you wanted it to keep on looking great. When corks get shot, they will take on water, swell and bust if not caught soon enough. I figured there was way too much care that went into them for me, and I still couldn't pull the birds like I did with the big spreads.
Now I started shopping for plastics again. I kinda got spoiled to looking at the realistic looking decoys and didn't want to change that. Greenhead Gear came along and it was the best looking plastic on the market and inexpensive too. I bought a dozen to try out. Despite what I read on the internet I never had any problems out of that dozen decoys and still haven't to this day. So my spread grew with Greenhead Gear decoys. If they get shot I patch them. If they get shot bad enough I throw them away. They are awhole lot cheaper than customs and not near the care and ride just as good as customs. Greenhead Gear is coming out with all sorts of other diver decoys this year and I will be adding those to the rig.

Find a decoy that you like and go with it. All decoys have pros and cons. For me plastics are better for my style of gunning. I have to have something that is tough enough to stand up through the 60 day season herewithout much care. I want realism for myself. If I didn't care about looks I would go with Flambeaus, G&H, or any other plastics on the market. Lord knows I had my fair share of them and they were all good decoys. Pick what appeals to you and go with it. :thumbsup:
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:22 am

I've got GHG divers, I've shouldered the gun more than once looking into the spread with my GHG. But I've recently sold off 5-6 dozen mix bag Mallards and Pintails and have started re-building with G&H puddlers. Expensive, but I think worth it in the long run. Where are you guys finding the G&H divers at? I'd like to see them.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby texan68 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:41 am

cork..... :laughing: maybe if you are Bill Gates. G&H or Herters
texan68
hunter

Postby texan68 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:43 am

In Texas, you can shoot one a day..... along with pintails
texan68
hunter

Postby firebird » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:03 pm

I was glad to see Greenhead Gear added redheads and canvasbacks to their exceptional line. Wish they would add goldeneyes too, all in good time I expect. I would use cork but who can afford it?
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting