bay of green bay

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

bay of green bay

Postby jreigh » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:48 am

I am looking to get into open water hunting on the bay. I have a skiff, and a 16 foot boat. How would i go about setting up the 16 foot boat to hunt on the bay? Type of blind? Is layout better than a boat blind?
jreigh
Newb

Postby rbach270 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:18 am

I hunt lake winnabago pretty often and think that the same set-up would work well in the bay ( there almost right next to one another). What I have done was took 1 inch emt conduit and made a bar that extends about 3 feet from the gunwhale of my boat (a fifteen foot mirrocraft). I took camo netting and cabletied it to the bar so that it hangs down and touches the water. I also wrap netting around the front and back of the boat so that is has walls of netting all the way around it. I don't have any roof becuase divers come in so low I don't need one. I seems to work well I've had bluebills, cans, bufflehead, and goldeneye within 10 feet of it, they don't mind until I start pulling the trigger.
rbach270
Newb

Postby jreigh » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:04 am

Thanks for the tip. I have thought of that, but didn't know how the ducks would react. Do you hunt in open water on bago, or you hunting the shoreline somewhere? I am only a block off the water and have never hunted there. We have some land on green bay that we can either hunt off shore, or go out further. We have good luck either way. Email me directly if you want. jreigh@new.rr.com
jreigh
Newb

Hunting "Bago"

Postby rbach270 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:19 am

I grew up on the north shore so I've hunted both the shoreline and in open water. I now hunt only in open water. Ricker bay, Cowlings bay, and sometimes in front of Neenahs lighthouse, or jefferson park on the north end. What I would suggest to you is in front of Menomenee park (1000') feet out or any other place on the lake where thier is a rock reef in a wind broke bay or in front of a river outlet. Divers feed on the zebra mussals on the reefs and find it quite normal to be around boats and be on reefs. Bago gets little to know hunting pressure and if more people hunted this s.o.b it would be better because it would push the ducks around. Anyway I go to school in point now and did not open water hunt at all last year but the hunting seems to get good in the end of october and in to november until the ise freezes. Divers will not leave the lake until every last bit is frozen so if you can come in from the river and reach open water 1000' out you will have a great shoot. Bluebills, bufflehead, goldeneye, some cans, most likely a nice hooded merg. for the wall if you don't already have one. Anyway if your out there and you see a a mirro painted battleship grey with the name "Goodbuy Bluebill" on the transom that me, pull up and say hi. Oh, I think I am going to hunt the east shore this year, all those man made sand pike reefs should hold ducks. Stay in touch it would be nice to get your weather reports and exchange info.
rbach270
Newb

Postby chase83 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:30 am

Where can you get good maps of the areas you speak of online .... I am from Waukesha-Milwaukee area and have hunted West shore once but got a new boat that would like to do some open water hunting on Winni in..

It is a 17' Deep V with a fully covered custom Popupblind. I would like some advice on where to open water hunt in a boat out there...

Thanks for the help maybe I can help move some Birds around for you...

What can you reccomend
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby gilliesuitdan » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:19 pm

Hey guys, just joined today! I am new to manitowowc, wi and looking for local diver locations. I have heard the bay around Green Bay and Suamico may have some of the best diver shoots there are. If anyone can provide more specific data about areas near manitowoc, I would really appreciate it. I have hunted Wyalusing state park/ mississipi flyway(south western Wisconsin) for 10+ years and is getting over run with sky busters and blind jumpers, not to mention a high percentage of teal and woodies - not my preference, but still a fun hunt! Holler back if you get a chance! Thanks!
Dan
Hey Lets go hunting!
gilliesuitdan
Newb

Postby Layout » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:17 pm

Well I'm a newbie here but I ain't new to the diver hunting and layout shooting.

We gun divers up here in Menominee, Mi. before they get to you guys ha, ha. Yep, the northern part ot Green Bay :thumbsup: . From my experience the boat blinds out on the bay look like "skyscrapers". I've also hunted out of them. You can't beat a layout boat in open water like the bay. Especially for divers.

The only downfall is weather. The wind kills us up here. We can only hunt on North, West, or NW wind days or else we'll get our asses kicked.

We hunt a mile out in the bay in 17' of water :eek: .
A ton of lead anchors

- Long live the retired "duck bus".
Layout
hunter

Postby jreigh » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:51 pm

When you are laying out, is there a person designated to the tender boat? How many guys do you hunt with? How do you decide when to take turns?

Me and my friend just drag two skiffs out from shore, anchor them and put the decoys out around us. We do not have a chase boat. We have to chase them by paddle. Even with two boats anchored in the decoys the birds keep coming.
jreigh
Newb

Postby Layout » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:36 pm

There is always at least 1 man in the tender boat. The man in the tender boat always has his eyes on the hunter in the layout.

We also carry 2 way hand held radios for communication. We usually hunt with 3 guys.

We take turns based on weather and the amount of shooting each hunter gets. If it is real cold out, we may rotate hunters in the layout boat every half hour or so.

You guys actually paddle after crippled divers :eek: I can sometimes barely get there in time to finish them off with a powered tender boat.
A ton of lead anchors

Layout
hunter

Postby jreigh » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:20 am

paddling is good excercise! We have yet to loose a bird on the bay, but i am sure sooner or later it will happen. How many deeks do you guys use? Is there a certain pattern that you stick with? Do you use mallards,ect or do you just use divers? We use approximately 60 deeks and only 18 are divers. They seem to come in pretty good, but would more diver deeks bring in more ducks?
jreigh
Newb

Postby Layout » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:25 pm

We usually run 80 blocks, but if the birds are really decoying good we'll go down to 60 blocks. All of my decoys are on main lines.

Are spread is set in the form of a giant "V". The layout is positioned towards the end of the "V". The opening in the "V" is where the birds usually start to land, giving us a 15-35 yard shot.

If there are mallards or blacks in the area, we will attach one mallard deke at the end of each main line. That is usually enough to coax them in for a landing.

We also carry a white flag in the layout boat. That helps pull birds from far away distances. More decoys is not always better. We try to get by with the least amount, but I have set out over 100+ blocks before. If you are killing birds with 60 dekes why bust your butt to put out another 40 or so. In the layout boat we hardly ever have a problem decoying birds. We also kill geese out of it too.

I have all my diver blocks painted black and white. All black heads and a brite white bodies. Some decoys I have painted all white, they seem to have more attraction and flash to them painted that way. :thumbsup:
A ton of lead anchors

Layout
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting