Best Shot to use for divers mostly redheads and cans

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6, jamesmc

Best Shot to use for divers mostly redheads and cans

Postby Zscher33 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:11 pm

What is the best shot and shell size and brand to use for diver ducks mostly redheads and canvasbacks. I know these ducks fly a lot faster and in crossing patterns then compared to mallards and puddlers which decoy into a spread. Just moved to the Florida panhandle and have never hunted divers before.
Zscher33
Newb

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Best Shot to use for divers mostly redheads and cans

Postby Smith » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:58 am

Diver hunting is just about all I do anymore. Same rules apply as with any other ducks. Get them close and hit them hard. If they're flying faster you just need to lead them more. I use red box Federal Premium from Rogers. 3" #3's. They seem to shoot well from my gun. (old 870, fixed full choke) I can't tell you how they'll shoot from your gun. My best advice for how to keep cripple loss to a minumum is (A): Don't take long shots. And (B): Maintain the ability to close the distance to a downed bird quickly to finish him off.
Smith
hunter

Postby boatguy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:49 am

Smith wrote:Diver hunting is just about all I do anymore. Same rules apply as with any other ducks. Get them close and hit them hard. If they're flying faster you just need to lead them more. I use red box Federal Premium from Rogers. 3" #3's. They seem to shoot well from my gun. (old 870, fixed full choke) I can't tell you how they'll shoot from your gun. My best advice for how to keep cripple loss to a minumum is (A): Don't take long shots. And (B): Maintain the ability to close the distance to a downed bird quickly to finish him off.

X2

I too use 3"#3s 90% of the time... on cans,,,, Id use #2s before I reached for #3,,, but like Smith said, shot placement is the key... :fingerhead:
Lead, Follow, Or Get The Hell Out Of The Way!!!!
boatguy
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:18 am

3 inch #3's is my main choice of shot, saying that I been using Heavy Metal the last couple of years and it has been dropping them like rocks for me at least.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby jeffro9023 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:38 pm

Zscher33 wrote:What is the best shot and shell size and brand to use for diver ducks mostly redheads and canvasbacks. I know these ducks fly a lot faster and in crossing patterns then compared to mallards and puddlers which decoy into a spread. Just moved to the Florida panhandle and have never hunted divers before.

Diver ducks decoy just as much as puddle ducks do ESPECIALLY redheads, man they are dumb. Redheads are a great duck to have around for a novice hunter. With that said I use 3" #2 and 2 3/4 would work just as well. Set the decoys right and you shooting them feet dangling at 20-25yds just like any other duck. :thumbsup:
jeffro9023
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting