Layout Boat recommendations

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6, jamesmc

Layout Boat recommendations

Postby scduckhunter101 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:37 pm

I've been looking at getting a one man layout boat for a while and was looking for recommendations from guys that have them. I've been reading a lot of the older threads about layout hunting on here. Any advice would be appreciated!
scduckhunter101
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Layout Boat recommendations

Postby tgs » Sat May 20, 2017 4:01 pm

I only have experience with Core Sound Layout Boats in NC I have the two man X2 model, great boat, very stable, plenty of toe room for big feet and light enough to be retrieved and deployed by one person. I imagine the X1 model is just as impressive.

Here are pictures of it in action.

Last edited by tgs on Sat May 20, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Sat May 20, 2017 4:45 pm

I have an MLB. It's healed up pretty good for being at least 15 years old. MLB is no longer in business, but Tony Homer owns the molds and is making them.

If you're tall, don't buy an MLB.
If you have large feet, don't buy an MLB. (I've got 10.5 boots on my waders and they are a snug fit in there.)
It is not as comfortable on your back as one of the $1500+ layouts.

But It has a very low profile and only weighs 80 lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Sat May 20, 2017 7:41 pm

I have the older style Core Sound layout and have used it for about 4 years now. Its been a very good , stable and safe layout. Have killed a lot of divers and sea ducks from it. The boats are built in eastern NC, and are very well built.
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby tgs » Sat May 20, 2017 8:39 pm

I would add that Terry Rose from Core Sound is very easy to do business with.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby don novicki » Mon May 22, 2017 4:17 am

Don't get all hung up on an ultra low profile boat. Most divers will decoy nicely to a boat with a higher profile and won't even notice you in a higher profile boat. Don't get all hung up on a clear or canvas spray shield. The ducks won't care which your boat has. Don't get all hung up on "water slap" because it's just not a big deal. DO get hung up on comfort because laying with your feet splayed to one side or the other, with no ability to change your foot position will be a killer and limit the time you can spend out there. I build my own boats so I don't have ANY experience with buying a commercial boat but if I did I think I would look at UFO. He builds a nice looking boat and has many models to choose from. Lastly, there is a Banks boat at duckboats.net for sale right now which I hear is a really nice boat...... :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting