Down East gang rig decoy setup

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Re: Down East gang rig decoy setup

Postby JGun » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:33 am

Out of curiosity how does the setup work with a dog because I can guarantee first time out my dog or jehlers dog will swim right through the middle to get a bird. Do you tie the birds tight to the net or do you use a couple feet of line so the net sinks?
JGun
hunter

Postby hunterg » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:30 pm

JGun wrote:Out of curiosity how does the setup work with a dog because I can guarantee first time out my dog or jehlers dog will swim right through the middle to get a bird. Do you tie the birds tight to the net or do you use a couple feet of line so the net sinks?

I don't use a dog so I can't help you too much. From what I've been told, dog's are able to swim through it but the way mine was set up this season, I wouldn't let my dog swim through it, just in case. PM Trey and he should be able to tell you.
hunterg
hunter

Postby pootz79 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:45 pm

I read on one of the other posts on this subject that dogs were able to swim through it and even stand on it if you had small enough netting. I still don't know if I like the idea of a dog going through it though.
Pat M
"Pick a pup like you would pick your next best friend because that's what he will become." --Pete McMiller
pootz79
hunter

Postby fishhuntnc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:51 pm

I hunt with dogs and it works fine with them they go right over it becuase the holes are only like half inch mesh or something so a poodle might get caught in it but a cranky old chessie fairs pretty good on mine anyway.It can be waist deep and I can hardly tell that Im walking on the net.My nets are black nylon 20' by 40'(made from old pogy nets) i like the nylon better because it sinks were the some of the poly has a tendancy to float but they both work well and the poly floating doesnt seem to affect the ducks.Also I mix in singles around the net to help break up the square look.Another bonus is that with the mono holding the decoys to the net they seem to ride the water better than the singles in bad weather I guess the weight of the net holds them down.A down side to mono is that you have to be a little more careful faking them in and out of the skiff because the short (7 or 8) inch mono leaders can get wrapped around one another but they are not really long enough to get to tangled.
fishhuntnc
hunter

Postby Adventurer79 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:37 pm

hmmmmm... going to have to try that next year. These guys seemed very content in their tight little group.
Adventurer79
hunter

Postby hunterg » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:41 pm

Check this out. Here is another decoy net that my friend uses.
Attachments
17435_755409850559_11830304_42145181_6111420_n.jpg
hunterg
hunter

Postby freebird134 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Do the ducks not care that all the decoys are in a nice grid?
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?'"
Aldo Leopold
A Sand County Almanac, 1949
freebird134
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:53 pm

freebird134 wrote:Do the ducks not care that all the decoys are in a nice grid?

Nope.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby hunterg » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:34 pm

freebird134 wrote:Do the ducks not care that all the decoys are in a nice grid?

Heck, In Adventurer79's photo, the ducks look like they are in a nice grid too. From my experience with my net, as long as the decoys are spread out to where they are not touching, the birds will fly right on in. Once while hunting, the wind changed and my decoys in the net all floated into each other making the nice spread out net ball up. Nothing would fly in until we fixed it.
hunterg
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:51 pm

No knowing anything about shrimp net, the one I have needs to be stretched in order to get the full size. Is there a different netting we should be using? What happens is when you pull on the corners, the middle compresses a bit like an hour glass. We've thought of putting a couple extra anchor lines in the middle to stretch it out, but would rather it stay in a perfect square without stretching.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Adventurer79 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:02 am

Might take some time but I'm thinking, with a roll of decoy line knotted in all the right places, a few beers and a lazy summer afternoon, a guy could probably make a custom net in whatever shape with a 3 point anchor system built to suit however many decoys you had available. :yes: or maybe not. Am i the only one that thinks of this crap at 3 am? :lol3:
Adventurer79
hunter

Postby freebird134 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:41 am

Adventurer79 wrote:Might take some time but I'm thinking, with a roll of decoy line knotted in all the right places, a few beers and a lazy summer afternoon, a guy could probably make a custom net in whatever shape with a 3 point anchor system built to suit however many decoys you had available. :yes: or maybe not. Am i the only one that thinks of this crap at 3 am? :lol3:

Nope. I thought the same thing. But, I think the advantage of the purchased net is that the relatively small mesh size (probably ~1" openings) prevents the decoys from getting all tangled up in the net, so you can just roll 'em up like a carpet, and unroll them on the lake. Making a net, I'd get lazy and probably have several inches, or a foot between knots. With a mesh size of 12" x 12", the decoys would slip inside and get all messed up. Now, maybe you have A LOT of lazy summers and a few kegs to get you through making a net with 1" mesh or so.... And a lot of patience!
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?'"
Aldo Leopold
A Sand County Almanac, 1949
freebird134
hunter

Postby hunterg » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:57 am

freebird134 wrote:
Adventurer79 wrote:Might take some time but I'm thinking, with a roll of decoy line knotted in all the right places, a few beers and a lazy summer afternoon, a guy could probably make a custom net in whatever shape with a 3 point anchor system built to suit however many decoys you had available. :yes: or maybe not. Am i the only one that thinks of this crap at 3 am? :lol3:

Nope. I thought the same thing. But, I think the advantage of the purchased net is that the relatively small mesh size (probably ~1" openings) prevents the decoys from getting all tangled up in the net, so you can just roll 'em up like a carpet, and unroll them on the lake. Making a net, I'd get lazy and probably have several inches, or a foot between knots. With a mesh size of 12" x 12", the decoys would slip inside and get all messed up. Now, maybe you have A LOT of lazy summers and a few kegs to get you through making a net with 1" mesh or so.... And a lot of patience!

I bought my net and then set it up myself. Took about 2.5 hours to set up the net by running a black rope through the outside (up and down through every 1"mesh and tying it with twine. Adding the anchors and about 70 decoys took some time.
Some friends of mine took about 4+ hours to do there's with the help of some bud light and freezing cold temperatures.
hunterg
hunter

Postby jehler » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:24 pm

JGun wrote:Out of curiosity how does the setup work with a dog because I can guarantee first time out my dog or jehlers dog will swim right through the middle to get a bird. Do you tie the birds tight to the net or do you use a couple feet of line so the net sinks?

why don't we just try it out with bailey the first time, if she drowns......oh well! :lol3:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby JGun » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:29 am

jehler wrote:

why don't we just try it out with bailey the first time, if she drowns......oh well! :lol3:

Good idea send the wife's dog out first. Stupid bitch!

BTW I'm talking about the dog. :yes:
JGun
hunter

Postby ncquackersmacker » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:15 pm

I carve my own foam diver decoys and am looking to build a net rig. I am trying to figure out if I need to put a full keel on the decoys or if I can get by with something smaller and lighter.
ncquackersmacker
Newb

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:03 pm

How about setting it up in deep water? will it work?
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby fishhuntnc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:15 am

Use old lead weights instead of anchors (in deep water)we use bombs.setting anchor is harder in the deep so we use the weights cause u can drag em around till they get pretty tight in the corners.It takes practice but yeah they work good in deep water if set up right.
fishhuntnc
hunter

Postby looseheadsurfer1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:10 pm

That is exactly what i have been thinking about for a couple of seasons now. I am so glad to see it in practice, I have been hesitant to do it cuz I wasn't sure it would work right.

I was thinking about the bird or deer netting @ home depot but thought the gauge might be too light and snap easily. I will look for a trawling net or seine. I have a couple of old 8' cast nets with rotted leading edges, they might get recycled.

But what I have noticed is that some tie the decoys with zip ties and others with a leader of about 8" or so. When deploying which one is easier.

:bow:
looseheadsurfer1
hunter

Postby fishhuntnc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:48 pm

looseheadsurfer1 wrote:That is exactly what i have been thinking about for a couple of seasons now. I am so glad to see it in practice, I have been hesitant to do it cuz I wasn't sure it would work right.

I was thinking about the bird or deer netting @ home depot but thought the gauge might be too light and snap easily. I will look for a trawling net or seine. I have a couple of old 8' cast nets with rotted leading edges, they might get recycled.

But what I have noticed is that some tie the decoys with zip ties and others with a leader of about 8" or so. When deploying which one is easier.

:bow:

The zips are probably easier because the decoys stay tight to the net.My reasons for mono leader are they swing with the wind so they face the wind with out having to move the net around,they can swim with the tide a little so they look a little better,and I trust 300# mono more than 2 zip ties.Like I said as long as the leaders short they might twist around each other little but they wont tangle.Oh and by bombs I mean 25 pound weights If I am in shallow water I use small danforth anchors they dont drag at all.
fishhuntnc
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:44 am

Looks good but Lord that sounds like a tangled mess in the dark with cold hands, jeeees.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:26 am

It doesn't tangle.

But like I said above, in my experience, once you stretch out the corners the middle will curve way in and look like crap. You really need to have anchor lines in the middle of the sides also.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby hunterg » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:40 am

You could put anchor lines in the middle but that may make it more complicated. Keeping this idea as simple as possible is essential to a quick and easy setup. Find the way the current is going and set up so that the long end is facing in the direction of the current. The only times my net crimpled up towards the middle is when we attached another net to it and having two nets attached with only 4 anchors was a bitch. But hey, the birds didn't mind and we limited out fairly quickly.
hunterg
hunter

Postby pitboss » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:37 am

very very nice! i've got a 20yr old goose hunting video where they did that with goose floaters while hunting close to shore on a big lake.

neat!

jeff
capt. jeff coats
pitboss
hunter

Postby Sabre1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:39 pm

Feeding clusters work well. What I do is I still put out long gang lines starting about 50 yards and extending outfrom the boat on the downwind side. And on the up wind side at about 10 and 30 yards off the stern I Throw out individual ducks in a feeding cluster about two groups about 15-20 strong.
Its still rare to get them to commit dead on the boat but I get alot better and closer shots this way.
Sabre1
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Diver Duck Hunting