Down East gang rig decoy setup

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Re: Down East gang rig decoy setup

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:02 am

I like the looks of this, especially in stormy weather where the birds really pack it in tight.
Does anyone have a source for a reasonably priced netting material they have used.
Everything online is too light or too pricey.
Wondering if it is better to make one big @$$ net or a couple smaller nets so it can be up or downsized with situation.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:08 am

If I recall, I bought from Memphis Net and Twine.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby fishwater » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:55 am

i'm working on my net rig now (i have a 1" mesh shrimp net). i'm not sure what would be the best way to attach my decoys to the net and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. i was thinking about crimping a 2' piece of 300# mono to the net using a crimping sleve (like rigging a loop in a piece of leader material i use for offshore fishing) and then crimping a swivel to the other end to attach my decoys. not sure if the metal sleeve would cause a problem with tangling in the net or not. let me know if you have any ideas or thoughts. thanks in advance.
fishwater
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:36 am

fishwater wrote:i'm working on my net rig now (i have a 1" mesh shrimp net). i'm not sure what would be the best way to attach my decoys to the net and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. i was thinking about crimping a 2' piece of 300# mono to the net using a crimping sleve (like rigging a loop in a piece of leader material i use for offshore fishing) and then crimping a swivel to the other end to attach my decoys. not sure if the metal sleeve would cause a problem with tangling in the net or not. let me know if you have any ideas or thoughts. thanks in advance.

heavy duty zip ties. make sure they are solid plastic, the ones with metal will rust out. zip tie both ends of the decoy keel directly to the net. you do not want two foot lines going down to the net, that would be a tangled mess
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby dankoustas » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:52 am

I have heard of this type of gang rigging, but never saw it done. The finished product looks great and rolled up it doesn't look like too much of a hassle. My mind is racing with ideas as I type this :yes:
dankoustas
hunter

Postby gangrig25 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:11 pm

and yes, they can and will get tangled.
use very small mesh the smaller the better.
gangrig25
hunter

Postby shell drake » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:20 pm

No you dont want 2 feet of mono but about 6 inches works great.To short to get tangled and you dont have to move the net around when the wind shifts like you do with the ties.
shell drake
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:58 pm

Are these nets mono shrimp nets or cloth?
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby fishwater » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:12 am

WSUWESTON wrote:Are these nets mono shrimp nets or cloth?

mine is a soft nylon (i think). could be linen, i'm not sure. got it from some discarded net from a shrimper/friend of mine.
fishwater
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:33 am

WSUWESTON wrote:Are these nets mono shrimp nets or cloth?

they are nylon shrimp trawl webbing
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby fishwater » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:48 pm

so how many dekes do you put on the net and how many gang rigged when you put out your spread? i have 6 doz bluebills and 1/2 doz oversized buffies. just wondering what would be the best way to arrange my set up with that number. of course i'd like more...
fishwater
hunter

Postby herpin1579 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:16 pm

How does this work in below freezing temps. I am looking for an easy and effective way to put out 8 dozen coots in a tight wad. But I fear that below freezing temps would turn the net and blocks into one giant block of ice
Mike Brown
Bowfishing Association of Illinois director
herpin1579
hunter

Postby pootz79 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:03 am

Dunk/Soak the net if it freezes solid
Pat M
"Pick a pup like you would pick your next best friend because that's what he will become." --Pete McMiller
pootz79
hunter

Postby herpin1579 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:17 pm

I am from n. IL so shrimp nets are hard to come by. I am thinking about using some pond netting or a couple minnow seines. I am not sure how well the seines will work with the 1/8" mesh. I plan on have the coots super tight so I'm thinking the black net will be ok
Mike Brown
Bowfishing Association of Illinois director
herpin1579
hunter

Postby hunterg » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:23 am

fishwater wrote:so how many dekes do you put on the net and how many gang rigged when you put out your spread? i have 6 doz bluebills and 1/2 doz oversized buffies. just wondering what would be the best way to arrange my set up with that number. of course i'd like more...

I've got 4 1/2 dozen blue bills on my net now and will be adding another 2 dozen for this season. I'll probably add another two dozen blue bills as singles. The picture has 2 nets tied together (due to lack of anchors) and 110 dekes on it. Don't tie 2 nets together b/c its a cluster f!!k for sure.

Just put the buffies all to the side as singles.
Attachments
ducks.JPG
hunterg
hunter

Postby dankoustas » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:19 am

Need some input, I have been on the Memphis Net website along with a few others and I cannot figure out what to buy for a net. Atlantic Fishing and Gulf Supply is a company I have ordered stuff from before, but just too many choices, and all over the board on pricing. If anyone can tell me exactly what they bought, how much and from who, it would be much appreciated. I am thinking I need something 12 foot x 10 foot or thereabouts.

Thanks in advance.
Dan
dankoustas
hunter

Postby hunterg » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:04 pm

dankoustas wrote:Need some input, I have been on the Memphis Net website along with a few others and I cannot figure out what to buy for a net. Atlantic Fishing and Gulf Supply is a company I have ordered stuff from before, but just too many choices, and all over the board on pricing. If anyone can tell me exactly what they bought, how much and from who, it would be much appreciated. I am thinking I need something 12 foot x 10 foot or thereabouts.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

Got mine from Harris Net Shop in Atlantic, NC. Not sure if theyll ship.

Harris, Roger Net Shop Inc

141 Old Cedar Island Road
Atlantic, NC 28511-9722
(252) 225-5821
hunterg
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:31 pm

hunterg wrote:
dankoustas wrote:Need some input, I have been on the Memphis Net website along with a few others and I cannot figure out what to buy for a net. Atlantic Fishing and Gulf Supply is a company I have ordered stuff from before, but just too many choices, and all over the board on pricing. If anyone can tell me exactly what they bought, how much and from who, it would be much appreciated. I am thinking I need something 12 foot x 10 foot or thereabouts.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

Got mine from Harris Net Shop in Atlantic, NC. Not sure if theyll ship.

Harris, Roger Net Shop Inc

141 Old Cedar Island Road
Atlantic, NC 28511-9722
(252) 225-5821

they will usaly ship stuff. tell them how big you want it and what you're going to use it for, they'll know what you need
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby fishwater » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:09 am

here's what i came up with (so far). i zip tied a swivel to attach my dekes to the net. GHG has a line clip on the front of their keels that i used a grinder to file off 'cause it snagged the net really bad. the net isn't square (a freebie from a shrimper friend of mine) which, with the right anchors, hasn't seemed to be a problem but i'm not sure if the ducks will have a problem with it. we'll see. we have 8+ foot tides here in GA so i'm not sure how to rig the net to keep that lead block from "drowning" (or if it even matters).
Attachments
water.jpg
grind 2.jpg
grind 1.jpg
land.jpg
fishwater
hunter

Postby dankoustas » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:23 am

fishwater wrote:here's what i came up with (so far). i zip tied a swivel to attach my dekes to the net. GHG has a line clip on the front of their keels that i used a grinder to file off 'cause it snagged the net really bad. the net isn't square (a freebie from a shrimper friend of mine) which, with the right anchors, hasn't seemed to be a problem but i'm not sure if the ducks will have a problem with it. we'll see. we have 8+ foot tides here in GA so i'm not sure how to rig the net to keep that lead block from "drowning" (or if it even matters).

Looks like a great set up, thanks for the pics :thumbsup:
dankoustas
hunter

Postby decoycarver0205 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Is it necessary to tie both the front and back of the decoy down? How would you do it with herters or homemade blocks that dont have tie offs on both ends of the decoy?
decoycarver0205
hunter

Postby G.B. Jack » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:55 pm

That would be the biggest cluster $)(; in the world in my boat, my hands, and the bay
G.B. Jack
hunter

Postby rjbadfish » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Great idea and some great pics so far. Thanks to all who have posted input.

Assuming that you used a 6" piece of mono on a swivel to the decoys and achored the corners of the net well, How would this kind of rig act during a tidal change? I know I could not attach both ends of the decoys to the net but will it still become a tangled mess? We deal with 10 foot tides regularly up here. Seems like I would be out several times during a tide drop, adjusting the anchors?
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Postby fishwater » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:16 am

rjbadfish wrote:Great idea and some great pics so far. Thanks to all who have posted input.

Assuming that you used a 6" piece of mono on a swivel to the decoys and achored the corners of the net well, How would this kind of rig act during a tidal change? I know I could not attach both ends of the decoys to the net but will it still become a tangled mess? We deal with 10 foot tides regularly up here. Seems like I would be out several times during a tide drop, adjusting the anchors?

assuming you didn't have your decoys too close together and anchored only on one end, i'm pretty sure they would swing and turn to face the tide change. now as far as the net goes, i'm not sure. i used a folding grapnel anchor when i first put my net out with an 8+foot falling tide and they didn't hold at all. so i got a few 2.2# claw anchors like this:
http://www.shopsoundboatworks.com/legac ... gaclan22lb
which are only $9 and they hold great down here in the mud. it actually held my 19 foot carolina skiff in that current with no chain. so i have one of these on 4 corners of my net and i bet they would hold through the tide. only one way to find out tho...
Last edited by fishwater on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishwater
hunter

Postby fishwater » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:18 pm

here's some pics how i rolled my net up. i put a tarp on top of my decoys then rolled up the decoys with a ~14' foot piece of 1 1/2" thick walled PVC and used rope to tie the roll up so i could carry it easily and put it in the boat or in my truck. i rolled it out and splashed it today and it was easy with no tangles. probably over-kill, but just an idea i thought i would share. might make it easier to deploy in the dark.
Attachments
2011-10-12 13.19.22.jpg
2011-10-12 13.16.45.jpg
2011-10-12 13.08.26.jpg
Last edited by fishwater on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishwater
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Diver Duck Hunting