Divers and decoys ??????????????

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Divers and decoys ??????????????

Postby bubba1 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:00 pm

Looking at hunting diver this year in open water. Question is will divers come into a spread of mallard and pin tail decoyes? That all I have got and spent my fun money on other stuff. I realize the blue bill dekes would be easier to see, put the shiney green head has to help some.

Bubba1
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:01 pm

you need to put a couple divers in there you don't have to have a bunch but if you have some they will come just put the divers off to one side in a group.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby diver-hunter » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:21 pm

yea, you need at least a doz. divers (bluebill, goldeneye, scoter, etc.)....but mallards might work. we never run mallards in our diver spread; now if we are hunting half and half, then we will throw some teal and mallard on one side and divers on the other.
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

You do your thing, I'll do mine...- Montgomery Gentry
diver-hunter
hunter

Postby dav42070 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:47 pm

carrylite & flambeau make inexpensive deeks a dozen bluebill,ringneck,or coot deeks would work or half dozen ghg ringers for thirty $ .
dav42070
hunter

Postby texan68 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:08 pm

NO, NOT AT ALL. How many of you guys sayin you need divers to hunt divers have actually used puddlers for diver huntin. When I first started huntin divers, all I had was 2 doz mallards, and a half doz teal, and they brought in divers great. So no you DO NOT have to have divers when diver hunting, but thats just about all the huntin I do, so I buy diver decoys. :thumbsup:
texan68
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:25 pm

maybe your texas divers are different than our virginians :toofunny:
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

You do your thing, I'll do mine...- Montgomery Gentry
diver-hunter
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:34 pm

I have shot bills over mallard’s decoys; to up your odds pick up a dozen bills it won’t hurt.
Now golden eyes are a lot like woodies they prefer their own kind, they might swing your spread, but if you don’t have any GE decoys out, don’t expect them to stop, and there are exceptions to every rule. Good luck man :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby AK Ducks » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:13 am

you can get buy with only mallards but I wouldn't recomennd it. I hunted a year with only mallards, I got a few but no real good days. try to get some diver decoys but if you can't you'll probablly be fine
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:24 am

Think a lot of it depends on where you are. If you're at the end of the fall migration routes, where birds concentrate for the winter, it will probably work more often than in areas where the birds are just passing thru. I've shot plenty of bonus 'bills over puddler and goose rigs. Was more of being where they wanted to land/swing by as anything else. Never hurts to show a bird some of it's own kind.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:12 pm

I started with clorox bottles with some black on them just to grab there attention. White and black get in usually close enough to hammer at them although I definitely recommend regular diver dekes
Jayson Wilt
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Team Strait Meat
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:31 pm

Ah heck with so many cheap decoys on the market now, why bother with bleach bottles?

IMO Just go buy 2 dz cheap divers or 1 dz real good ones. :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby texan68 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:50 pm

we're talking divers here bro....big water, big spreads. No way I could afford to buy Herters/G&H. Why spend more on decoys, when jugs work equally well???
texan68
hunter

Postby firebird » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:43 pm

Actually the majority of our diver hunting is done on rivers, large or small and what I would consider medium size lakes(reservoirs) where we kill goldeneyes, cans, redheads ringnecks, buffleheads and occasionally bluebills. I use the diver dekes with lots of white on them, my favorites being cans and goldeneyes. We use them on the edges of our puddler spread and draw both. I think the divers help attract puddlers and agree with the above statement that divers will swing over puddle dekes but prefer to land with their own kind.--course thats my part of the country.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting