Anyone hunt Felsenthal?

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Anyone hunt Felsenthal?

Postby logan41 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:15 am

Just wodering how everyone else is doing down there?
logan41
hunter

Postby greenster » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:51 pm

We limited out WED. (3 people) and killed 9 Thurs. (4 people), All mallards but, could have killed limit of woodies easy...
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby logan41 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:26 pm

greenster wrote:We limited out WED. (3 people) and killed 9 Thurs. (4 people), All mallards but, could have killed limit of woodies easy...

Sounds good. I saw the most ducks I have seen down there this year saturday. We had a clown skybusting the ducks that were working our decoys or we have had our limit early.
logan41
hunter

Postby santeerangerman » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:21 pm

I've always wanted to give Felsenthal a try!! Sounds like ya'll got a good number of birds in the area!!

I read that it's alot like Shirey Bay, which used to be my Favorite place to hunt.

What's the nearest town to stay in?
Also, are there any ricefields in the area to hunt? I always like to have a back-up, since it's a 12-13 hr drive tho get there.

Skybusters are the WORST!!! Why hunt the timber, and then shoot like that. That's one reason I dislike the 3.5" guns. Everybody thinks they can kill ducks at 65-70 yards with them. All it leads to are more cripples.
santeerangerman
hunter

Postby logan41 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:45 am

santeerangerman wrote:I've always wanted to give Felsenthal a try!! Sounds like ya'll got a good number of birds in the area!!

I read that it's alot like Shirey Bay, which used to be my Favorite place to hunt.

What's the nearest town to stay in?
Also, are there any ricefields in the area to hunt? I always like to have a back-up, since it's a 12-13 hr drive tho get there.

Skybusters are the WORST!!! Why hunt the timber, and then shoot like that. That's one reason I dislike the 3.5" guns. Everybody thinks they can kill ducks at 65-70 yards with them. All it leads to are more cripples.

I live in El Dorado, Ar it is like a 35 minute drive from my house to the water. If you are looking for a town to stay in I think that would be your best choice, the other towns are really small around it. Crossett, Ar may have a hotel, I'm not sure. There are rice fields to the east of it, but I am not sure about hunting them. I just hunt the timber, or the edge of the timber by the permanent pool.
logan41
hunter

Postby santeerangerman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:47 pm

Hey thanks!!!

Do you know where I can locate a good map of the area?

Like I said, I've never hunted there, so I don't even know where a boat ramp is at.

Thanks again!!
santeerangerman
hunter

Postby logan41 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:54 pm

santeerangerman wrote:Hey thanks!!!

Do you know where I can locate a good map of the area?

Like I said, I've never hunted there, so I don't even know where a boat ramp is at.

Thanks again!!

Here is a link to a map of Felsenthal. It also has a website, you'll need to do some research before you head down.
logan41
hunter

Postby santeerangerman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:55 pm

Thanks Logan 1, but I don't see the link... :help:
santeerangerman
hunter

Postby logan41 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:15 pm

santeerangerman wrote:Thanks Logan 1, but I don't see the link... :help:

My bad..........

http://www.fws.gov/felsenthal/

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/pubs/felse ... untmap.pdf
logan41
hunter

Postby santeerangerman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:43 pm

Thanks Bud!!! :thumbsup:

We are talking about making a trip there in late Jan.

I'll use the contact numbers you sent me to try to get some more info.

Thanks again.

If you ever head this way, let me know. May be able to hook you up on some Redfish........
santeerangerman
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting