For you public land hunters in Arkansas...

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

For you public land hunters in Arkansas...

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:52 am

Just a little public service announcement for next season...

Has this ever happened to you?

You and your buddies bust the heck out of some ducks on some great Arkansas public land. You're understandibly proud given the warm weather and the lack of ducks we've had since the 1999-2000 season. You figure you'll hop on a few different duck forums and show off the day's bag which, IMO, makes for a good way to waste time at work. Just maybe you are a little naive in the ways of the average internet duck scouter or you're just a blabber mouth or you're just an all around nice guy. You accidentally (or maybe not) give out a little too much information about where you're hunting and the next day where you were the only person hunting there are now 30 trucks in the parking lot.

I am a huge fan of internet duck hunting forums. How else other than staring at your feet can you waste hours at work not actually working? I frequent almost every one out there and I think they're a great way to get helpful information on decoys/dogs/guns/boats/etc.

The only down side that I can see of the internet duck hunting forum is cyber scouters. You know... People that go around from forum to forum looking for a post where someone slipped about killing birds in a certain location.

This subject hit home for me the first time last season. The Arkansas River had flooded and created all kinds of flooded timber hunting opportunities which don't come about but every 5 years or so in this area of the state. On another forum a guy who had been hunting the same area as me blabbed the location of where he was murdering some mallards. His loose lips caused what seemed like every duck hunter in this area of the state to storm the area. The morning the guy let his information loose he didn't hunt, but myself and a buddy were there enjoying a nice peaceful Friday morning being the only people hunting the area. The next day after we spent 3 hours keeping wave after wave of people from trying to set up 75 yards away and killing a few birds we went back to the ramp. Where there had only been my truck the day before there were now 31 (yeah, I counted them and got pictures) trucks with boat trailers in the parking lot. Now some may say it is busier on weekends and they would be right. A normal weekend would bring anywhere from 6-10 trucks. Not 31.

The main purpose of my rambling is to remind everyone that hunts public land in Arkansas, or any other state for that matter, to be careful about how many details they give out on the internet. I'm not saying I won't help someone out, but I'm sure as heck not going to give them GPS coordinates to holes (I've seen it) or tell you exactly where I'm shooting birds. Get out and do your own work. If you're coming in from out of state or hunting another part of the state you're not familiar with take a day or two out of your trip for scouting purposes. Don't look for a handout.

If you've read all this and think I'm blowing smoke up your butt take a look around here in the Arkie Forum. There are threads with 5, 6, 7, and 8 replies that have 1,900 views. If you still think I'm full of it and just pulling your chain try posting something on a few forums with specific info. to ducks. If you do.....may God have mercy on your honey holes cause you're gonna need it.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled program...
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby ucaduckhunter » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:14 am

You said it all right there.
If you love something let it go. If it doesn't come back to you then hunt it down, kill it, and eat it.
ucaduckhunter
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:22 pm

:withstupid: Your Dead on.. That’s why If I’m asked by some one who is not close friend I tell them enough information to get lost or on the other side of the county. :mrgreen: but I’m just mean like that but yeller you or white want to know a hunting spot id gladly tell yall in a PM not on public forum. Since where giving out cords to some nice public land here some n33o34.605’ w091o34.965’ go and try it out.. :toofunny:
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

I have always said the same thing

Postby Ducks_ » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:02 pm

I have always said the same thing about too much info.... for christ sakes don`t we have enough outsiders without an invite as it already is ..............Friends are friends and thats fine but lets keep our best kept hunting areas to ourselves!
Ducks_
Newb

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:15 am

Just bringing this back up to the top for the upcoming season. :yes:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Daisycuttin » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:30 am

Excellent point
If ya don't like being peppered, don't set up near my spread..!!!!!

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

Postby Pluckyduck » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:51 pm

I was wondering if you would revive this thing.
Pluckyduck
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:04 pm

Now that I've revived it is it a good thing or a bad thing? :mrgreen:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Pluckyduck » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:40 pm

We're on the same page. If you want a current example the thread on the fuge about turning on the duck faucet had over 1700 views. :eek:

I remember some guy from last year posting up some pics of some greenheads he killed in some timber somewhere between where you are and where I am.

I think he got company ASAP.

I never tell where I am hunting at or intending to hunt. The internet has made it too easy to get "poached" out of your spots.
Pluckyduck

Postby Daisycuttin » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:10 pm

Same thing can be said about the GAS! "Gunshot Assisted Scouting". Wherein some jacka$$ hunting near us, hears what he thinks to be killin going down, and the next morning you find them in or so near that exact spot that you can't hunt it. Being the nice guy that I am :pissed:, I will pull right in and sit down beside ya. On public land i really can't do anything to stop it, so i'll just sit and hunt with them (whether they like or not) they ain't ruining my hunt!
And maybe they won't come back next time. :mrgreen:

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:12 am

Plucky, I know exactly what thread you're talking about. It is a damn shame that some people just can't get out there and do their homework. You know I can kinda sorta understand why someone from out of state or not from that area would do something like that, but it's amazing how many people who live in that immediate area do it.

If someone beats me to my spot then more power to 'em. I'll just get out there an hour earlier the next day. If that doesn't work I'll get out there even earlier. I love hunting public land. I love the competition of beating someone to a blind. I especially love the feeling of being trimmed up and blowing a rooster tail at 3:00 in the morning racing somebody. :yes: :yes: :yes:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Daisycuttin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:47 am

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

or send

Postby Total duck » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:39 am

Or send them to a place that is over populated !!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats my rule of thumb :thumbsup:
The internet has always been like that "something for nothing" syndrome./....... so lead to the wrong watering hole and all is good!
Total duck
hunter

bty

Postby Total duck » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:43 am

That was my old post Ducks_ ya`ll baned me for cussing outsiders he he
Total duck
hunter

Postby big savage » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:25 pm

I'll post up about where we are poppin' 'em at, but I'm not about to give out the lat and long to any tom **** or harry. I usually hunt with my cuz, and we do all our own scouting. We might trade a hunt here and there, but usually thats only with people we know from around the area...people we KNOW can keep their mouths shut.

I might specify the town, or lake, but I'll be darned if I'm going to go through the he11ish conditions you talked about in that first post.

If I had half a vengeful brain I'd have left most of the boat trailers and vehicles without valvestems (no need to slash tires when you can just yank out or cut a valvestem).

If you brag too much, you're bound to get company.
If it hops, it drops. If it flies, it dies.
big savage
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:03 am

big savage wrote:If I had half a vengeful brain I'd have left most of the boat trailers and vehicles without valvestems (no need to slash tires when you can just yank out or cut a valvestem).

If you brag too much, you're bound to get company.

WHy are you people so EVil?
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pluckyduck » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:23 pm

I'm with Greenster, that is a little extreme, but I know where you're coming from.
Pluckyduck

Postby big savage » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:10 pm

I guess it kind of hits home with me because of people basically freeloading. They are usually either too lazy or stupid to do their own scouting so they hop on the net and bounce from forum to forum trying to inch in on someone who has worked in the off season to get a few decent hunts in, and gave out a bit too much info by mistake.

Not for nothing, but I have also noticed that most of the areas that get yapped about around here, and subsequently flooded by cyberscouters, are usually trashed in no time. Spent shells all over the place, trash, cans and bottles all over the place. I don't mind hunting around others, I just want them to leave the wetlands the same, or just a little better than when they came in.

And while I would have wanted to...and have been tempted to..flatten every tire in the lott, I would not. There is nothing moreChildish or lame* than messing with a mans property.

* edited By Greenster
If it hops, it drops. If it flies, it dies.
big savage
hunter

Postby Pluckyduck » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:03 pm

Now that I have figured out how to work this new GPS with maps I got I am tempted to post up some locations for these cyber cowboys that are too shallow to launch anything more than a canoe.

And if you're canoing, rapids are good right? :thumbsup:

The only reason that I haven't is I wouldn't want someone to do that to me if I drove all the way from way afar off just to show up at a rocky river that MIGHT get a shot a wood duck.
Pluckyduck

Postby greenster » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:56 pm

Plucky you just told them your plans :toofunny:

go for it..

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smoke on the water » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:01 pm

Daisy,

Could you send me a PM with some GPS coords? You make it sound like I should drive over. Kind of confused cause when I looked the other day all I saw was coots, but I will take your word for it.

BTW, the wind and storm last night even blew the coots out.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way
Smoke on the water
hunter

Postby Daisycuttin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:23 am

Of course :mrgreen: First bend down toward your feet, the make a 90 degree turn toward the rear, then go slightly north, then insert head in cave. Plenty o ducks in there. :umm: :umm:

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

Postby Smoke on the water » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:14 am

Why heck daisy that just ain't right. Just took you for the neighborly type the way you was a talkin.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way
Smoke on the water
hunter

Postby Daisycuttin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:26 am

hhahaha :laughing: Very neighborly indeed. Need an egg? check. need a cup o sugar? you got it. Borrow the wife for the weekend? why not. Want honey holes. ummmm no can do. Happy to take ya most any time though. :cool:

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting