Divers?

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Divers?

Postby jimmyscott » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:57 pm

I know most of us hunt greenheads. Just wondering if anybody has some tips on finding divers in our state?
jimmyscott
hunter

Re: Divers?

Postby WTN10 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:10 pm

Trade hunts with some cat from the Carolinas?
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:35 pm

There's a hole that divers use in the field I been hunting.
It's not impossible to kill divers in Arkansas.
Nobody does it because for every flock of divers they see they will see 98 flocks of puddlers.
Teal and Mallards and Gadwalls (oh my)
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:12 am

Only place I see divers regularly is when passin' the sewer ponds, usually cans and ringers. If you could gain access near one, ya might get some good pass shootin'. I'd probably prefer shootin' 'em comin'-to, rather than leavin'-from, though. Actually used to do that some mornin's before class in HS. We could usually get one good round o' shootin', sometimes two, before someone showed up to run us off...

... and that's the truth. :yes:
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:37 am

Thus far we've killed 4 Redheads, 2 Hoodies, and 1 Bufflehead in one rice field. Ain't pretty, but we rarely know what they are before we reduce 'em to possession. Seein' winged critters all that's necessary to raise the veritable curtain of steel 'round here.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby quack-n-stack » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:10 pm

cannon wrote:Thus far we've killed 4 Redheads, 2 Hoodies, and 1 Bufflehead in one rice field. Ain't pretty, but we rarely know what they are before we reduce 'em to possession. Seein' winged critters all that's necessary to raise the veritable curtain of steel 'round here.

What? How do you not know what you are shooting before you pull the trigger? Learn duck Identification. Size, shape, color of their bills. Size, color, and markings of their wings. Overall size and flight characteristics along with where their wings are set in refrence to their bodys would go along way!
quack-n-stack
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:33 pm

quack-n-stack wrote:
cannon wrote:Thus far we've killed 4 Redheads, 2 Hoodies, and 1 Bufflehead in one rice field. Ain't pretty, but we rarely know what they are before we reduce 'em to possession. Seein' winged critters all that's necessary to raise the veritable curtain of steel 'round here.

What? How do you not know what you are shooting before you pull the trigger? Learn duck Identification. Size, shape, color of their bills. Size, color, and markings of their wings. Overall size and flight characteristics along with where their wings are set in refrence to their bodys would go along way!

:lol:

Ruh-roh... this should be good. He's hunted Arkansas most days o' the season since the moon was a 'lil bitty thang and there twarn't any stars yet... be gentle cannon, he means well. :no: :lol3:
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:49 pm

quack-n-stack wrote:What? How do you not know what you are shooting before you pull the trigger?

Oh, I should have been more clear. We are typically well-aware of the fact that we were shooting DUCKS before we pull the trigger . . . or we are at least reasonably certain that they aren't people or flying pigs or anything of the sort.

quack-n-stack wrote:Learn duck Identification. Size, shape, color of their bills. Size, color, and markings of their wings. Overall size and flight characteristics along with where their wings are set in refrence to their bodys would go along way!

I think I've got a decent grip on the difference between a mallard and a pink flamingo, but if I have questions, I'll give ya a call.

Just so you'll know, here's how this scenario plays out down here: Its 30 minutes before sunrise, in the fog, in a rice field. In the distance, a small dark blob skirts 14 inches above the waterline 35 yards out from the blind. That's when someone always says:

"Hey Gibby, here come some ducks!"

Instinctively, almost reactively, I reply:

"Ohh, I see 'em. They're on the deck and comin' in hot. Its divers. Smoke 'em."

Then there's the gunfire:

Bang, bang . . . etc.

Then I utter:

"CANNON . . . BACK!"

And someone always says:

"What were they?"

I respond:

"Ducks, I'm pretty sure of it."

The idiot that asked what they were repents and says:

"I know they were ducks, but what kind?"

And finally, I explain:

"Dunno. We'll see when the dog gets back."
cannon
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:54 pm

By the way, how's season comin' along, Bro? I know you love them specks, and God knows we've seen bunches of 'em. Haven't killed but two of 'em (1 of 'em was flyin' with mallards opening day, and the other I dropped from somewhere just under the place where you'd need an oxygen tank to get a breath). All we're seein' is high-flyers.
cannon
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Have managed four limits in a field that hasn't been rolled (tough tough tough). Add a couple curious snows and misguided spoonies and that's it for me. The constant barrage o' gunfire from those hammerin' the early birds has made it a bit tough to work a speck, to be honest. If it didn't happen quick, it didn't happen. Shot most of 'em after about 8:30 or 9. Gonna let 'em set a couple days and hopefully lose a little wariness... then hammer a few before the splits over.
quackerattacker
hunter

Divers?

Postby jimmyscott » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:39 pm

Do you guys think the Arkansas river would be a good place to find em? I live near Fayetteville. I'd like to find some reasonably close. Wondered about Beaver Lake as well.
jimmyscott
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:49 pm

Can't really help since I, nor anyone I know, hunt 'em on purpose, but would say you're on the right track. Just look for big or deep water.
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:33 am

jimmyscott wrote:Do you guys think the Arkansas river would be a good place to find em? I live near Fayetteville. I'd like to find some reasonably close. Wondered about Beaver Lake as well.

Lots of hoodies on the Arkie. An occasional redhead or scaup when the weather is really, really cold. Not a great diver venue. Fish farms would be the place to find 'em.
cannon
hunter

Postby jimmyscott » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Saw some hoodies yesterday on the river and some scaup on Thursday. Would love to see some canvasbacks. Anybody see any Golden Eyes later in the season?
jimmyscott
hunter

Postby rabbitdundied » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:58 pm

I would scout the crap out of the Arkansas River first. Then if no luck I would try, Beaver, Bull Shoals, Norfork, Greers Ferry and Ouachita. I know there are tons of ducks on the Arkansas and Ouachita.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Postby shooter999 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 pm

The Arkasas has quite few. We rigged bluebill decoys off a sandbar island and shot a bunch. It was late in the year .

You get chances on Ringnecks and redheads in some of the rice fields too. Ringnecks are good to eat.
shooter999
Newb

Postby steve-o » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:54 pm

that aboy shooter. you have unknowingly raised one from the dead. be mindful of the dates at the top of each post. this thread hasn't been post in since Dec. 2011 until you came along.

oh and uh :welcome: to DHC
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shooter999 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I'll get the hang of this. DHC is a great forum
shooter999
Newb

Postby rabbitdundied » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Lake Ouachita, Degray, Bull Shoals, etc,

Fish Ponds

Arkansas River, Mississippi River