Season to date

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Season to date

Postby arkyduckboy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:35 pm

cannon wrote:
arkyduckboy wrote:What is that, a 2188 in the background? :up:

Good looking pile of ducks

Sho'Nuff! And a worn-out 2188 at that.

Man I'm good. Followed one of the and 2 2388's all harvest with a cart.

Yall keep up the killin! If your ever in Stuttgart hollar, beers on me. :up:
arkyduckboy
hunter

Re: Season to date

Postby quack-n-stack » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:57 am

Cannon You guys still not seeing many mallets? Any new birds in last couple days?
quack-n-stack
hunter

Postby jc_182002 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:04 am

like i have stated above, the birds are all shot off what little water is standing down here and the days of 1 duck per hour are here again!! :mad: Maybe this will change with some rain chances at the end of the week, i hope anyway
jc_182002
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:15 am

quack-n-stack wrote:Cannon You guys still not seeing many mallets? Any new birds in last couple days?

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! They are, however, THANKFULLY, moving off the night feeding pattern. We finally started seeing birds today. To put all this into perspective, we have killed, as of this morning, 228 birds during the 15 days of season. Of those 228 birds, EXACTLY SEVEN have been mallards. And No, before someone asks, this is not normal. Typically 40-65% are mallards.

I'm just thankful for the clouds that got the birds to stirring during the daylight hours again. Never thought I'd hear that thought coming from my lips, but if it hadn't been thick all night, we'd have shot a specklebelly and left pissed again this morning.

I sure am lookin' forward to some red-legs showing up. The birds we have are getting pretty tired of looking at my spreads.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby broutdoors » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Two of us have been 8 times and killed 78 birds and 48 have been mallards. This has been our best season for mallards this early in the year in a long time. I like shooting the big ducks but come supper time give me a mess of teal wrapped in bacon and some fried tators. :smile:
broutdoors
hunter

Postby Curl tail » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Mainly it has been 3 of us, but everyonce in a while 4. We have limited every day and the total so far is 225. Full mallard limits with Gadwal/Pintail/Widgeon make up the remainder. we even killed a Gadwal drake/Mallard drake cross. Too torn up to mount. No bands yet. No teal or sky carp yet. So far, this season has been fruitful. Lots of new water now so we will see what this weekend brings. Warm weather ain't helping any.

Curl
Curl tail
hunter

Postby broutdoors » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Killed another 8 mallard limit yesterday but it seems like there were a lot of ducks high. We did kill some new birds and it continues to be a good season for me and my hunting buddy. We have now killed 101 birds and 66 of those have been mallards. We have been on 11 hunts this year and thats a 9 bird average per hunt.
broutdoors
hunter

Postby jc_182002 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:04 am

here is a little something i have been working on this year. Slowly starting to get more and more birds down this way. Maybe we can finish strong. I need a few more mallards and one more pintail to fill in some spots.

pic frame by jc_182002, on Flickr
jc_182002
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:49 am

Our present headcount is 819. We were hopin' to make 1,000 . . . ain't lookin' like that's gonna happen.
cannon
hunter

Postby jc_182002 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:41 am

[quote="cannon"]Our present headcount is 819. We were hopin' to make 1,000 . . . ain't lookin' like that's gonna happen.[/quote

nice! we are not quite that far sitting at 257 for now. It died a little after Christmas but is picking up now and quaity of ducks have inprove 10 fold!
jc_182002
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:25 am

jc_182002 wrote:quaity of ducks have inprove 10 fold!

You can say that again. We typically average between 500 & 600, but I've been carrying out bigger groups this time.
cannon
hunter

Postby Humpbackshooter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:37 pm

We're sittin about 300 also. This past weekend was like "where did they all go?"
1 gad. on Thursday
1 susie on Friday
1gh, 8 smilies and 2 snows on Saturday
20lbs of Crappie, hush puppies, ff , home made fried pies and bub lite on Saturday nite
6 smilies and 1 snow on Sunday with a broken fan blade on the 700.
If we hadn't the crappie on saturday nite, this weekend would have sucked.
Then the storm front came through last nite. So I hopen that it didn't push all the birds out.
Cannon, save us a few and let-em fly south of I-40.
As always, the your pics are great!
Hump.
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Humpbackshooter wrote:W
Cannon, save us a few and let-em fly south of I-40.
As always, the your pics are great!
Hump.

I don't think you've got to worry about that! They've been beatin' us all season this year. We've killed a mess of 'em, but we're waaaaaaay off on that mallard harvest. The last week or so, on the other hand, its looked a lot more like normal around here, so I'd say expect good things for the closing weekend.

Go get 'em boys!
cannon
hunter

Postby broutdoors » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:27 pm

Have seen more Mallards in the last 2 days than we had seen all year south of Augusta on cache river. The last weekend should be a slam dunk. Birds have really started wanting the thicker timber.
broutdoors
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:13 am

Here's to one more for the history books, gents. :beer:

We're tired and weary, and we've spent our "huntin' & fishin'" funds down to the last pennies. Our widows are pissed, our kids have forgotten our names, and our dogs are the only ones left that really feel like they've seen us since November. Its payback time. Time to settle up with the wife & fam. Time to get that truck washed, and maybe a few articles that are still standing up under their own power in the corner. Time to fix that leak in the pipe under the sink. Time to get the feathers out of the garage, make a few ball games, and even show up for Sunday School on time. Yup, time for us to go back to being husbands, fathers, and participants in society.

Now, before you forget where you put it all, get busy cleaning all that crap up and start getting ready for the next opener . . . only 284 shopping days left before we get to do it all again.
cannon
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:41 am

Amen, sir cannon! Been cleanin' out the truck and puttin' away the stuff myself. To next season! :beer:
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:14 am

Forgive my tardiness. Havnt been on here in a while... Finished the season with 1001! Best season ive ever had. Not trying to gloat but I am still proud and its now April. LOL
All Public (4 states)
57 Hunts
17.6 ducks per hunt avg.
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:46 pm

DC KILLER wrote:Forgive my tardiness. Havnt been on here in a while... Finished the season with 1001! Best season ive ever had. Not trying to gloat but I am still proud and its now April. LOL
All Public (4 states)
57 Hunts
17.6 ducks per hunt avg.

NICCCCCCEEE!!!!! We were swinging for the fence on breaking 1k, but we ran out of gas before the closer. Congrats!

How' that Central Arkansas hunt go?
cannon
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:05 am

Appreciate it... Well anywhere close to 1000 is a hell of a season in my opinion...
Yea the last week of the season was one of the toughest for me. Almost a screeching hault as matter of fact. And the central arkansas trip didnt pan out near like we planned. Long story... we got on birds.... Scouted and found a hell of a hole... come to find out it was the same hole rumored to have killed 80 somethin mallards in one morning the previous week. And judging from the amount of hulls and cripple tree limbs I didnt find it hard to believe... But to our luck, we got beat to it the next morning and had to share it with a couple of jakelegs that I swear blew party kazooos and couldnt take a hint to put them up.... The next morning the birds were gone, along with the little bit of flooded woods that was left. Still a fun trip though. Some quality bird watching and scaring. LOL But did manage to get on some geese one afternoon. Need to get together sometime and warm some barrels
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:02 pm

DC KILLER wrote:ANeed to get together sometime and warm some barrels

You said it.
If you make it up this direction next round, I'll make sure there's a clear spot in the blind.
cannon
hunter

Previous

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting