Stuttgart, AR

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

Stuttgart, AR

Postby richardb44 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:43 pm

I have an off the subject question about Stuttgart,,, we were there the week after Christmas, first time every going, and I notice alot of places that had closed down, Dont know alot of the history of Stuttgart but was wondering if Stuttgart was at one time a booming economy. No disrespect of anykind intended, just noticed alot and was looking for some info, seemed like a real nice place to live. Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.
richardb44
Newb

Re: Stuttgart, AR

Postby chris_k » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:11 am

Same here. Traveled there last year thinking it was going to be a pictoresque little southern town with a lot of duck history. It's not.

Lots of crack houses, prostitution and sketchy stuff going on.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby mvpblower » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:26 am

chris_k wrote:Same here. Traveled there last year thinking it was going to be a pictoresque little southern town with a lot of duck history. It's not.

Lots of crack houses, prostitution and sketchy stuff going on.

no from my standpoint. loved the people and had a great time. butch is the man
THERES MORE TO LIFE THAN DUCK HUNTING.....BUT NOT WHILE IM DUCKHUNTING
mvpblower
hunter

Postby rabbitdundied » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Dude it is the Mississippi River Delta. It is as poor as the Appalachians except with black people instead of hillbillies.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Postby ArkansasRobertson » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Look at it this way. It takes about 1farmer to farm 1000 acres of rice. He leases out his land to duck hunters in the fall. The whole town is based off of these two things. When duck season isn't going on, all the rich folk leave with their wallets...and rice is all thats left.
ArkansasRobertson
hunter

Postby Edge » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:36 am

you don't know very many farmers, the farmer that I lease from makes a hell of a lot more than I do.
Edge
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:54 am

rabbitdundied wrote:Dude it is the Mississippi River Delta. It is as poor as the Appalachians except with black people instead of hillbillies.

That's about it...
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:57 pm

I think it might be a pattern or something but from my observations every town on the Mississippi is like that. At least all the river towns up here in my area and everywhere south are.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby Ztkirkpatric » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:47 pm

Believe it or not theres a lot of money moving through that little town... Most of the farmers your talking about have a pretty good net worth... The Delta is a poor area of the state... But you've got classes just like anywhere else, in the delta there isn't a middle class... You've got your farmers, and the guys that work for the farmers... Stuttgart is a great place, farming is just like any industry, if their product isn't bringing in as much money, and its costing them more to do what they do... Then they cut back... Just like you and I.
Ztkirkpatric
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:58 am

You city boys will never understand
Park Duck
hunter

Stuttgart, AR

Postby Shotgun wg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Yes Stuttgart is just like the rest of the delta. There is a middle class in Stuttgart unlike the true delta towns. There is industry there unlike most delta towns. As far as delta towns go Stuttgart is a thriving community with a booming economy. It contains jobs and opportunity that isn't available in most delta towns.. I feel that most people that were not raised on a farm however have no idea as to the wealth of a farmer or the lack there of. Where u may have a 401k or some other retirement plan a farmer has all his wealth tied up in equipment and maybe the land he grows his living from. A down turn in farming could turn all he worked for into pocket change to most of the folks that pay the high dollar rent on a blind in his field. I am sure some of these farmers would be broke without the rent on these blinds.
Shotgun wg
hunter

Stuttgart, AR

Postby Arkiewaterfowl » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Stuttgart is rich in agricultural delta history. It don't look like it till you live here. Yes, some of the town is run down crackish, but this town revolves around 2 things. Duck hunting and rice production. Spend more time here and you'll love it. Out of towners never understand.
Arkiewaterfowl
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:17 pm

Arkiewaterfowl wrote:Stuttgart is rich in agricultural delta history. It don't look like it till you live here. Yes, some of the town is run down crackish, but this town revolves around 2 things. Duck hunting and rice production. Spend more time here and you'll love it. Out of towners never understand.
To me...Stuttgart and Blytheville are both like going back into a time warp. It appears like the downtown in Blytheville hasn't changed in 50 years. Stuttgart's the same way and is very cool. I like these places the way they are. The Hawk's in Blythville is something you have to check out if you're a serious waterfowler. Not as nice as Mack's but has "flavor" that you just don't get anywhere else.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:46 am

If you think Stuttgart is a time warp you should go to Jonestown, MS.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby dmadden7070 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:34 am

I grew up down in Stuttgart and moved up to Jonesboro when I was 10 or so. It's a great town historically and it will always be the Mecca of the waterfowl community, but I remember growing up there were parts of town that you had to avoid. (Let me clarify, I don't mean this racially at all) We went to a church on the Northern side of town (if I remember right) and one night a man got shot over near that side of town. I'm not saying it's all that bad, but Stuttgart just doesn't have anything to draw young families and businesses other than the hunting industry. And without other incentives such as safer upscale communities or better school system the town will likely continue it's decline in the off season. That's just my two cents, and remember I was a kid when I lived there so take all I say with a grain of salt. Personally I have always loved the town and always will. It's just a matter of convincing the non-hunting community that it is a great place to be.
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting