Boat questions

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

Boat questions

Postby PC76 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:55 am

In the market for my first boat. I wanna hear some of your experiences. Likes dislikes and whatnot. Especially if you feel like you have been ripped off.

Looking for a semi v of some sort. Really like the war eagles with the open setup, but I'm trying to stay under 7 k for a complete setup. Wouldn't mind going private party for the right deal but being inexperienced about what to look for makes me nervous.

If anyone knows a dealer that might have some deals let me know as well. I haven't had that much time to go visit places in person but it looks like the stuff they have listed online is pricey compared
PC76
hunter

Re: Boat questions

Postby drakekllr » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Staying under 7K should be no problem. A 1542 or 1548 should be just fine. A 25 or 40 hp should suit you well also. Depending on where you hunt the most. Right now there are alot of new and used boats out there. A 1548 weldbilt will be around $2200 and a new trailer $900. Add a new 25 tohatsu or etec and you are under $7000. Or you can get a good used motor and come in under $5500. There are alot of options out there. A 1550 low deck edge and trailer will run you a lil over 4400. a bare bones 1548 war eagle or sea ark and trailer will put you around $4000. Lots of good used boats out there for the 3500-5000 range.
Black Ops Duck Calls
Shutting down woods one section at a time
drakekllr
hunter

Postby PC76 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:07 am

Yeah I have been looking, but it looks like everytime I find a decent deal on craigslist it gets sold quicker then I can get a chance to look at it. I am shooting into high gear this week though since i have it off with not too much going on. Any tips on where I could find good used boats? From what I have seen bradford, sunrise, and h20 all want a little more then what the boats are worth.
PC76
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:07 pm

A couple questions first - where do you plan to use the boat - delta, bay, small rivers or lakes.? What are you going to use it for - duck hunting and fishing? How many people do you plan to transport and how much equipment?
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby PC76 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:10 am

Plan on using it in smaller lakes, and possibly in the river. During duck season it will most likely be hauling my 2 maybe 3 people at most, and the dog w/ a limited amount of gear...2 or 3 dozen dekes are gonna be the biggest piece of gear, but I am sure the little stuff adds up to. A good selling point to keep the wife happy would be if the boat could accommodate the family...2 adults, and 2 boys 7, and 16 months (it will be awhile before he gets out in it though) When the family is in it I was thinking it would be a good avenue to get to some of the off the path sandbars to enjoy.

Up in Batesville they had a few real nice 1544 excels set up, but I didnt know if the price was that great, or not. Looks like they wanted in the 8500 range although they were real nice boats. Is this pretty much the going price? I have looked all over the internet, and it looks like pricing is so variable, or it just isn't listed.
PC76
hunter

Postby talltimber » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:23 pm

You might check with Fred at current river marine in doniphan, mo. He's pretty good to deal with and for a smaller dealer he goes through several boats. Both used and new.
I have heard some good things about big river marine in Memphis, or that area anyway. No firsthand experience with them though. Probably will find a better deal buying from private party if you can. Check out the bottom and transom really well and have a mechanic check out the motor first.
talltimber
hunter

Postby drakekllr » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 am

If your not in a motor restricted area jump to a 40 or 50 hp motor. I would suggest going a minimum of 48 inch bottom if you want more of a family friendly boat. Excell's are nice, but they aint cheap. A 40 of 50 hp tohatsu or mercury would be the ticket. 50 hp tldi tohatsu $4795, and find a good used boat to go with it. I've got a buddy who is going to be selling a 1542 war eagle, 25 suzuki, trailer, gas tanks, battery here shortly. boats 2 years old and beleive he will be around $5500. just another option.
Black Ops Duck Calls
drakekllr
hunter

Postby PC76 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:54 am

Yeah the excels were a little pricey, but they are some well put together boats. I surely wouldn't mind hearing about your buddies boat a little more though. Let me know if he is going to be putting it on the market.
PC76
hunter

Postby drakekllr » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:35 am

will do. he is on vacation and will be back this weekend.
Black Ops Duck Calls
drakekllr
hunter

Boat questions

Postby PC76 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:01 am

Any new news drake?
PC76
hunter

Postby drakekllr » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:45 pm

here some pics. he is pretty sure he is gonna sell

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/ ... r/cary.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/ ... /cary1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/ ... /cary2.jpg
2011 1542 war eagle, flat bottom.
1994 electric start 25 hp suzuki. stainless prop. built in gas tank and battery under front deck. tall transom.
Black Ops Duck Calls
drakekllr
hunter

Boat questions

Postby PC76 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:51 pm

Well I should waited on ya got what I thought was a deal. Ended up with a motor that won't stay running and a boat with a 4 inch crack right where the retrieval lanyard hook is. FML. $3500 lesson learned.
PC76
hunter

Postby PC76 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Well got it all fixed up, and now 300 bucks later I have a seaworthy boat that wasnt too bad of a deal since I see some people asking and getting mid 2ks for these yammys. Wish I would of been at this position right after I bought it, but now its time to think about painting it, and building some sort of a bracket to quick attach headlights on the boat. I am thinking of going with natural gear on the paint scheme, but I don't know how well that will go with a do it yourself deal.

Anyone have ideas on a quick attach bracket? I would like no holes drilled for a couple headlights? Thinks something that either clamps longwise kinda like that car thing the club design I already have a decent spot light, and have the plug for it installed, but headlights will be nice for those places ya set the dekes up w. the boat.
PC76
hunter

Postby jdr » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Buy the Stix River kit in Natural Gear, money well spent. If you need some pics of the boat I did shoot me a PM. Its not a hard process at all if you have a couple of buddies that can help you flip it over!
jdr
hunter

Postby PC76 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:21 am

Pm'd ya but never heard back. Interested to see how it turned out, and how well it has held up. I been spot painting my boat with rattle can hoping that it would keep the bare spots from taking on any corrosion, but it pretty much scrapes right off when anything rubs it. Did ya prime it? How about taking the previous paint off. I have a pro spray kit in my garage just waiting on time, and ideas.
PC76
hunter

Postby jokey » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:00 pm

kem 400, 1 gallon, 5-6 rattle can brown, quart of self etching primer, wash it good, get any paint that coming off off it with some roungh sand paper and hit it a time all over so the paint will grab on. get on ebay and get some stencils from bigdave92, and do it ur self..... easy to do :thumbsup:
jokey
hunter

Postby gomersnerd » Thu May 17, 2012 6:53 pm

you said semi vee. you wanted a modified vee. check the differences.
gomersnerd
hunter

Postby PC76 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:27 am

gomersnerd wrote:you said semi vee. you wanted a modified vee. check the differences.

Thanks for noticing...sorry that my nomenclature was off..got what I needed though thanks for the help.
PC76
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting