Planning a trip

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Planning a trip

Postby Makinitrain » Tue May 01, 2012 11:32 am

Hey guys, I'm from Wisconsin and was planning a trip down to hunt in Arkansas next year and was wondering when the best time to make the trip is and when the season dates down there? Any feedback would be great
Team 1038
2012- 2013
Bands: 3
WI:
ducks: 147
Geese: 78
Makinitrain
hunter

Re: Planning a trip

Postby WTN10 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:36 am

No ducks in Arkansas. They're all in South Carolina.

Sent from my superior Motorola X for your edification.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby rabbitdundied » Tue May 01, 2012 9:47 pm

Season is normally from Mid November until the end of January. The dates change yearly and will be released sometime this summer. Go to AGFC.com to see. I would recommend January as the time you came. Oh and spend the money on a guide if you are going to hunt public land. You will not regret hiring a guide. They get paid to know where the ducks are and how to hunt them. I recommend a timber hunt if you have never had the experience of seeing ducks dropping through the trees. There is nothing that compares.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Postby Makinitrain » Wed May 02, 2012 10:14 am

Thanks for the advice
Team 1038
2012- 2013
Bands: 3
WI:
ducks: 147
Geese: 78
Makinitrain
hunter

Postby TonkaDuk » Wed May 02, 2012 4:09 pm

rabbitdundied wrote:Season is normally from Mid November until the end of January. The dates change yearly and will be released sometime this summer. Go to AGFC.com to see. I would recommend January as the time you came. Oh and spend the money on a guide if you are going to hunt public land. You will not regret hiring a guide. They get paid to know where the ducks are and how to hunt them. I recommend a timber hunt if you have never had the experience of seeing ducks dropping through the trees. There is nothing that compares.

Careful!!!...guiding on public land (WMA) is illegal.
TonkaDuk
hunter

Postby chris_k » Thu May 03, 2012 5:12 pm

You don't need a guide to do well in Arkansas. Just print out some WMA maps, find some holes and scout them out before hunting them. Read your WMA regulations. GPS is a plus.
It's not hard. Find a hole with ducks, set up the next morning there, tell the ducks what they want to hear, and shoot them in the lips. It doesn't take much to kill ducks in AR. You won't regret your trip. Arkansas hunting is awesome.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby steve-o » Sat May 05, 2012 7:28 am

I wish it actually was that easy chris.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rabbitdundied » Sat May 05, 2012 3:11 pm

TonkaDuk wrote:
rabbitdundied wrote:Season is normally from Mid November until the end of January. The dates change yearly and will be released sometime this summer. Go to AGFC.com to see. I would recommend January as the time you came. Oh and spend the money on a guide if you are going to hunt public land. You will not regret hiring a guide. They get paid to know where the ducks are and how to hunt them. I recommend a timber hunt if you have never had the experience of seeing ducks dropping through the trees. There is nothing that compares.

Careful!!!...guiding on public land (WMA) is illegal.

Seriously? I thought guides could guide on a NWR. I they can there is no need in being "careful".
rabbitdundied
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Sat May 05, 2012 4:22 pm

We have never had that hard of a time killin ducks in arkansas and we went when it wasnt that good last year.idk maybe its bc we r from florida and are use to not killing but a few birds a day at times.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Tue May 08, 2012 7:01 am

As said above season dates are usually set the first week of august. Public hunting can be very good, but with it comes a lot of hassle. Private land can be really hit or miss, but the good places are good no matter the weather or water levels.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting