Split Zones

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Split Zones

Postby ucaduckhunter » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:35 pm

Nobody here is griping about the zones?
If you love something let it go. If it doesn't come back to you then hunt it down, kill it, and eat it.
ucaduckhunter
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:04 am

Still trying to figure out what you talking about, Can you explane?
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:45 am

I'm not griping for two reasons... First, I'm still in shock that the AGFC would do something that stupid and, second, because I'm waiting to see how it affects hunting in my area. I have yet to see a map of the zones either.

greenster, from what I understand the AGFC passed something so that there is now a NE zone in Arkansas. What this means is that in the NE zone the season will start a week earlier than in years past and close a week earlier as a result. From what I've heard the NE "zone" really isn't just the NE part of the state, but extends pretty far south.

When is the AGFC going to realize that we're not MO?
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:18 pm

It's not really going to bother me a bit anyway. but if I had a say so the South zone would start 1-2 weeks later than the north any-way. with only 1-2 weeks it would not effect the Pairing up like the game and fish say. most of the AGFC bio will tell you they start pairing up in early JAn..which is B.S.. its more like Early FEB even though in late jan you see a few paired up. blah I could ramble all day but I'm not.

So no I dont care one way or the other about the zones, and plus us Griping is not going to change a thing.

Sorry for typos
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:36 pm

I know this is off topic, but I see pairing up starting the first week of January with about 75% of the birds we see in the last week of the season paired up. For what it's worth. :getdown:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby ucaduckhunter » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:54 pm

From what I saw in the paper the zone runs from approximately 65 north down to Conway, through Little Rock and along I530.
If you love something let it go. If it doesn't come back to you then hunt it down, kill it, and eat it.
ucaduckhunter
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:56 pm

Yeller your like the third person I heard from the west side of the state talking about the pairing up.. i've never hunted that part of the state but I had a guy hunt with me and the end of dec like the 30 or so and said he seen a few paired up already...maybe something good to research..

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:18 pm

greenster, I'm just wondering if we don't get quite a few birds from the Central Flyway and maybe that's why they're already pairing up.

Personally, I really don't get the importance of the whole "pairing up" thing. I'm not a biologist, but to me it doesn't make sense. A drake mallard is going to gang rape every hen that walks or flies by anyway. I think mallards pairing up is being taken way too seriously.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:05 pm

when they pair up the hens and drakes will stay together untill the nest is ready and the eggs are layed. it is not necessary for the drakes to mate, they only do it for reproduction. after they are paired up they head to nesting grounds, if a ducks mate is killed they will not find another mate (usually) but the unpaired mallards will show up to staging area about a week later then the paired ones.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting