No more blinds

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

No more blinds

Postby grahmcracker » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:11 am

Whats yalls opinions on the motion to do away with the blinds on the saint, and big lake, and to do away with leaving deeks out all season? How would yall vote on these ideas? I personally would vote to pass the decoy motion but keep the blinds. I think if you are the first person to the hole and put your decoys out that would solve alot of the problems with fighting over public holes. Of course there will still be those who think they own every tree in the hole. What yall think?
grahmcracker
hunter

Re: No more blinds

Postby timberdoodle » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:41 pm

All blinds on wmas should be burned.Also dont go for cleaning out holes and claiming them.Shouldnt be able to clip a single branch.No guides either,If you cant kill ducks in timber without a guide and a blind you should take up another hobby.
This post will probably rile up a few but whatever.
timberdoodle
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:35 pm

timberdoodle wrote:All blinds on wmas should be burned.Also dont go for cleaning out holes and claiming them.Shouldnt be able to clip a single branch.No guides either,If you cant kill ducks in timber without a guide and a blind you should take up another hobby.

what he said they should do that all over the state that would elminate alot of problems
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Burn 'em all, as well as any dekes left out overnite. Ya want it a little more private... lease somethin'.
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

No more blinds

Postby romeocadet08 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:55 pm

It will really be a shame if this passes. I've spent many mornings over the last decade in the blinds at BL ....some mornings ended with full limits of mallards and some weren't but all were very memorable.

Its just absolutely awesome to sit in some of those blinds and experience the hunt. To think about all the hunters before me and the decades and decades of history each blind has is worth the hunt, regardless of what your game strap looks like at the end of the hunt.

I've had some bad experiences and some great experiences with the "owners" of the blinds. At no point, have I or anyone with me been anywhere remotely disrespectful towards the owners. I've been run off several times. Some of those times I've been immediately threatened and other times its been nothing more than a handshake and a apology from both of parties and a "good luck" exchanged upon leaving.

As a OOS hunter, I understand that I am a "guest" in someone's stomping grounds and I am completely fine with that. BL is a huge place with many acres of huntable water. Hell, some of the best hunts I've had ,as far as killing, have been standing in thigh deep water...hundreds and hundreds of yards from the the closest blind with nothing more than a half dozen decoys and a jerk string.

I've also formed several friendships with some of the owners that have lasted for years. In fact, it's some of those very owners that call me, here in SC, and let me know that I need to head West with the mutt and gun.

That being said, it is what you make it!!! I know that SC hunters are one of the very least-liked crowd in AR because of the actions/attitudes/lack of morals, ethics, and sportsmanship that some have chosen to show while out there. In my years of venturing out to hunt the great state of AR I have always strived towards one thing and one thing only...and it's not to kill birds, but to respect what y'all have to offer and the resource that y'all are blessed with. And in every way possible...not just the hunting opportunities but everything from the people, culture, and heritage of AR.

Looking forward to mashin on some green this year..... T-minus 100 days and counting
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby rivershark » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:20 pm

I for one haven't had personal encounters with the blind craziness, but I am for being able to clean out already established holes. The reason for that is the fact that in a few wmas the agfc clean certain boat lanes out. Only a select few in the wma I hunt. Now if there is only a handful of spots cleaned out, the under growth removed, your looking at over crowding these areas.. this is a very common thing, and very dangerous. What I believe to be a good way to solve this would be to implement a weekend for those who will, go and clean a spot with hand tools, limb saws and clippers, no power tools. There are plenty of places that would make nice honey holes if not for the little buck brush that clutters holes up. Now with that being said, one should also understand that does not make that "your" spot. I would definitely get discouraged if someone was sitting in a hole I cleaned out but that's the risk you have to take and I would understand that. As far as the decoys go, take or leave them or leave them. I don't mind packing in a bag of decoys but I also like the fact I can roll right up in a hole with decoys already set. But like cleaning a hole, if I leave them out, thats a risk I've got to take. I would much rather go old school with the decoys and do away this spinners on public land. But that's soley based on personal preference. The thing that bugs me is that people feel a sense of self entitlement to a hole that their grandpappy found in the 70s. But the road goes both ways. Unethical hunters and just plain ole pricks take the fun out of the sport.
i dont know who you are or where you're going, but its a race to get there!
there are 3 things that make or break a friendship: politics, religion and duck hunting
rivershark
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Might seem sad to some to see things change, especially if their family has "owned" a blind on public ground for some time. But time changes things. Most farmers once let people hunt just for askin'. Now you've got to outbid a doctor or a guide service from out of state. Won't say it's good nor bad, just changed. Public ground is public ground, and a little more crowded than it once was. Would guess it would be fair to leave the blinds, even build more, if people favored a draw system like some other states have. How else could it be fair for everyone? I know, it's not about fair... it's about tradition. Forget that. Burn 'em all. :lol3:

Honestly romeo', percentage wise, have not met any more inconsiderate hunters from SC than anywhere else. Probably seen a lot more local yahoos, truth be known. Just met more fellas from SC. It's the sheer number that kills ya. :wink:

Good luck huntin' in our great state, and hope ya make many more great memories.
quackerattacker
hunter

No more blinds

Postby romeocadet08 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:52 am

You are right about that!! The number of SC plates I see out there during the season is amazing. Several years ago we chased the birds all over the state and when it was all over and done with we ended up hunting the last 4 days in Felsenthal and did DAMN well...killed our 3 man mallard limit all 4 days within 2hrs of legal....first time I've stepped foot onto Felsenthal since '04

That year, we spent 11 days out there before Christmas and 14 days after the 1st of the year...so roughly "half" the season...we saw over a dozen trucks at Felsenthal or in Crossett that had SC plates. I've never seen so many SC tags in a single season out there as I did that year. If I remember correctly, it was around 30-40 tags in the 25days I spent out there!

I'm fortunate enough to have a job that allows me to do a lot of traveling during the season. I guess shift work does have a few "perks"!!! On a normal year I make the annual hike to ND, NE, KS, MS/AR. I have hunted MO a handful of times but that's about it. Out of all the states....ND and MS/AR are the most overrun by SC hunters. It won't be long before KS is thrown into the discussion as well. Word about duck killing travels faster than wildfire in SC!!!!!!!
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby jimmyscott » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:24 am

quackerattacker wrote:...Would guess it would be fair to leave the blinds, even build more, if people favored a draw system like some other states have...

What are the pro's and con's to a draw system? Why won't AGFC implement that system? Seems like it would work.
jimmyscott
hunter

Postby jdr » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:33 am

FUG a GD draw system...I don't want to stand in line at 4 in the morning just to be turned away cause there are not draws left...get real.
jdr
hunter

No more blinds

Postby jimmyscott » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:34 pm

Aren't there some states who draw out blinds for a season or for a predetermined time period? I'd like to see a system where we put in for a draw early in the year with our individual preferences. Applicants list their three top preferences; indicating which WMA, blind number, and week they prefer. Winners would receive blind number and coordinates, and they would have the blind for an allotted week (Thursday through Wednesday). If you draw a permit, you pay a permit fee. Permit fees pay for upkeep of the blinds. If you don't draw, you earn a preference point for the next year. Any blind left unoccupied after 7 a.m. is open to hunt.
jimmyscott
hunter

No more blinds

Postby gr8white » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:11 pm

jimmyscott wrote:
quackerattacker wrote:...Would guess it would be fair to leave the blinds, even build more, if people favored a draw system like some other states have...

What are the pro's and con's to a draw system? Why won't AGFC implement that system? Seems like it would work.

We use a draw system in MD....it has some serious flaws. You can go on any MD hunting forum and read pages of the big fluster cluck we have here dealing with the draw system.
gr8white
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:20 pm

timberdoodle wrote:All blinds on wmas should be burned.Also dont go for cleaning out holes and claiming them.Shouldnt be able to clip a single branch.No guides either,If you cant kill ducks in timber without a guide and a blind you should take up another hobby.

x2...Just because somebodies granddaddy back in 1940 hunted in a spot, doesn't mean that the grandson has the right to run other people away from that spot.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby jdr » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:09 pm

jimmyscott wrote:Aren't there some states who draw out blinds for a season or for a predetermined time period? I'd like to see a system where we put in for a draw early in the year with our individual preferences. Applicants list their three top preferences; indicating which WMA, blind number, and week they prefer. Winners would receive blind number and coordinates, and they would have the blind for an allotted week (Thursday through Wednesday). If you draw a permit, you pay a permit fee. Permit fees pay for upkeep of the blinds. If you don't draw, you earn a preference point for the next year. Any blind left unoccupied after 7 a.m. is open to hunt.

This is a piss poor idea. For one, I like to scout for ducks and hunt the area accordingly. If I am locked into "blinds" before season starts, I could end up screwing myself.
jdr
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:27 pm

In any event, the proposal passed. Whether you agree or disagree with AGFC's action on the issue, I think we can all agree that this decision dramatically alters generations of tradition in these areas. To that end, I'd say stay classy. Some people will be elated, and others will be extremely disappointed. Whichever side of the coin you fall on, be respectful.

To gents whom will now be able to hunt in places where they couldn't, congrats. For those who are losing a piece of genuine heritage in those WMA's, my condolences. It is what it is . . . make the best of it.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby quackerattacker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:57 am

Sadly, there will be some old fellas quit huntin' over it. Had a friend do so last year when he lost his on the Francis. Sad day indeed for some.
quackerattacker
hunter

No more blinds

Postby romeocadet08 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:17 pm

cannon wrote:In any event, the proposal passed. Whether you agree or disagree with AGFC's action on the issue, I think we can all agree that this decision dramatically alters generations of tradition in these areas. To that end, I'd say stay classy. Some people will be elated, and others will be extremely disappointed. Whichever side of the coin you fall on, be respectful.

To gents whom will now be able to hunt in places where they couldn't, congrats. For those who are losing a piece of genuine heritage in those WMA's, my condolences. It is what it is . . . make the best of it.

"Post-of-the-year" material right there. Could not have said it any better. Thank you

:golf clap:
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:55 pm

There was a guy in a lawn chair with a sign at the entrance to the nature center today. Best I could tell the sign said "The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission is burning our heritage" I almost went back and took a picture but I don't care that much. :thumbsup:
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby texashunter » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:24 am

LITTLE ROCK – Permanent blinds on two northeastern Arkansas wildlife management areas will be removed before this year’s waterfowl season. Commissioners with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission unanimously approved a plan to remove the blinds on Big Lake and St. Francis Sunken Lands WMAs. The vote came today during the Commission’s monthly meeting. Permanent blinds are not allowed on any of the state’s other WMAs.

Last year, AGFC Director Loren Hitchcock stopped the practice of sportsmen accessing and manipulating habitat on Big Lake, St. Francis Sunken Lands and Dave Donaldson Black River WMAs. The practice is not allowed on any other state WMA.

The blind removal plan will allow hunters, who claim a blind, the opportunity to remove the blind and any personal equipment between Aug. 30 and Oct. 14.

Hunters would first be required to obtain a blind removal permit from the AGFC. The free permits will be available beginning Aug. 20. To acquire a permit, contact the Jonesboro regional office at 877-972-5438 Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.to 4:30 p.m.

The removal process allows specific types of vehicles and equipment to be utilized in the removal process. The permit points out that no habitat degradation will be allowed on the WMAs.

Beginning Oct. 15, the AGFC will begin dismantling the blinds.

Decoys also will no longer be allowed overnight on the three WMAs.

For the 16th consecutive year, Arkansas will have a 60-day hunting season for waterfowl.
texashunter
hunter

Postby william costa » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:28 pm

well i assumed if people keep acting as they owned the hole and runnin people out of them this would happen.they did it to themselves.feel sorry for the ones that went by first come first serve though.I myself have been forced out of a hole at big lake.was there way before the others and was in a boat blind respecting their blind and personal property. they insisted on coming in and getting in their blind screamin creating a dangerous crossfire situation.we left for safety reasons.i figured it wouldnt take long before agfc stepped in.its a shame fer some but,well deserved for others.
william costa
hunter

Postby ArkansasRobertson » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:20 pm

im for a lottery draw at 3 am day of hunt. no arguments...no fights...no claims...

The duck hunter population is getting too big and needs to be micromanaged...

Its just how it is....aint the 50s anymore where the holes are all to yourself
ArkansasRobertson
hunter

Postby Coy B » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:37 pm

I am lucky to have a wife that likes to duck hunt and the last time we were at Big lake we were stopped by 2 federal wardens as we were coming out and were ask over and over if we were harrassed by any other hunters we explained we only hunted small openings and did not set up on anyones decoys. He explained that it was first come first serve and we were welcome to hunt any left decoys. We have our own and told them we were there to enjoy the hunting not to cause any trouble. He told us then they were going to do away with the blinds and leaving decoys out. He said that a few people in the area and a few more places in Arkansas were the reason because of there attitude. We enjoy coming to hunt and hope we will always have the opportunity to hunt Arkansas. We have met some very fine people in Arkansas C and S
Coy B
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:03 am

If one of the Hated OOSers can post here without taking sniper fire.

We have a draw system in SC for our class 1 public hunting areas. This is one of the reasons you see so many SC hunters in your beautiful state.

Class 1 here is basically all the whistles and bells hunts on public owned property, something us non doctor/lawyer/indian chief types seldom get to experience.

Years ago we used to be able to put in several times a year for $10 per man.

Today each hunter pays $50 to apply for one hunt several months before the season. You can only apply once and only get drawn for one hunt- ONE per year. Hunters must apply in groups of two or three.

Used to be there was a good chance of getting drawn each year, but in recent years it has gone to once every three years. If you are not drawn the money is sent back, but you do get preference points for next years draw. :no:

Because Federal money is involved, the drawings are open to anyone- read OOSers- and we have many out of state hunters apply.

I hope for your sake Arkansas does not do this. It severely limits the number of opportunities available for duck hunters.

Having hunted quite a few areas of ARK both public and private for over 20 years, I appreciate your current system.

Actually loved the idea of permanent blinds being permited and first come use. Was cool to visit and think about the guys that built and loved it. Reminded me of my dads "duck shack" in the 60's here in SC. Never got into hassle with anyone because I did not own it so had no reason to fight over it.

Sad to see them go, but guess that is progress. In 1972 we lost our "duck shacks" in swamp where I grew up, then they outlawed airboats, and this year non moving houseboats are being made illegal, so us old guys keep losing stuff we cherished,but this old guy is not going to stop hunting until the Lord decides it is my time.

Thanks for letting me share my two cents worth.

Peace and leave some for seed!
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 am

Can't we all just get along?
This topic saddens me because apparently the answer is, "NO".

Now this talk about quitting duck hunting because the blind's gone.
The holes are still there. They didn't burn down the whole woods and swamp.
There will still be people fighting over them holes too.

It ain't over. Just no blinds and you can't leave decoys out all season. :crying:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby moneymaker » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:56 am

Missouri hs a draw every 2 years for the river blinds,but all i can say its mediocore hunting at best,blinds are about 150 yards apart at max distance and what ducks do come into these blinds well you got 10 blinds calling all at once and then shooting at the birds when they are 65 to 100 yards out as folks just wanna shoot there gun at a duck,,,,Missouri is not what it used to be as MDC has and will continue to run duck hunting into the ground,Now they have a internet lottery for 3 of the large tracts of land they operate for duck hunting and last year between all 3 areas there was over 72,000 applications for 1400 spots,,,Unreal how our tax money pays for land you dont even get to hunt but 1 time a year if that.
knockemdeadd wrote:how could i put a pricetag on memories made with my son
So can i hunt with you now since i used a qoute from you?hahahahaha
moneymaker
hunter

Next

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting