early season wood ducks

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

early season wood ducks

Postby rivershark » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:03 am

I know Tennessee has an early season wood duck hunt and I believe Louisiana does as well. So my question is, has Arkansas ever had an early season wood duck hunt? I've been hunting in Arkansas my whole life and started hunting with my grandpa 20 plus years ago but never payed attention to the seasons or limits in my early years, "just get in the boat" or "shoot that duck" was the only guidance I had in those days. My other question would also be, if Arkansas hasn't had a woody season but surrounding states currently do, what is the likelihood of getting one or at least getting it purposed to the game and fish?
i dont know who you are or where you're going, but its a race to get there!
there are 3 things that make or break a friendship: politics, religion and duck hunting
rivershark
hunter

Re: early season wood ducks

Postby ShootinDrakes » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:29 pm

It's not very likely that Arkansas will adopt an early teal/woody season. From what I understand (excluding teal) if any ducks are pursued, it counts toward our USFW mandated 60 day duck season. So, if we include 2 weeds of woody season to coincide with the teal season it's going to mean 2 weeks less of duck season. No one around here is going to want that. Most people are still trying to push for a later, longer season than what we have now. Again, impossible since USFW won't let a duck season go past the last Sunday in January (I think it's the last Sunday).
ShootinDrakes
hunter

Postby rivershark » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:14 pm

Ohhhh... never really thought bout the federal side. I smell what your stepping in.
i dont know who you are or where you're going, but its a race to get there!
there are 3 things that make or break a friendship: politics, religion and duck hunting
rivershark
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:26 pm

What ShootinDrakes said. Just say no.
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:36 am

I live in Louisiana and have never heard of any early Wooodie season unless you mean teal season. Haha. i have seen people slaying woodies thinking they are teal.
AaronR
hunter

Postby PC76 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Well there is a bunch of them. Although one of the true treasures of duck hunting that I have found so far is getting a nice big Woodie Drake. I wish I would of gotten the guy from my avatar mounted he was a heck of a bird.
PC76
hunter

Postby Duckslayer19 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:18 am

Wood ducks are legal in Tennessee during early teal season, but I'm not sure about louisiana. I know Mississippi and Arkansas do not allow it due to federal regulations. Tennessee was grandfathered in somehow when regulations changed in the past.
Duckslayer19
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:29 pm

Tennessee, Kentucky and Florida has the early Wood Duck season but only a 5 day season.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting