CONWAY ARKANSAS

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

CONWAY ARKANSAS

Postby THIN MAN » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:18 pm

I'm trying to work out a short trip to conway later this yr to visit my sisters. My question is this... is there any public land in that area to duck hunt? Not asking for anyone's " honey hole" just if there is some where. My brother in-law deer hunts on private land but doesn't duck hunt nor knows anything about it, so i'm outta luck with help on that end. I'd rather not hire a guide, just free lance. I have'nt done any research since the trips not set in stone. I would offer to trade a hunt , but hunting in my neck of the woods pretty much sucks! Any help would be appreciated!

THIN MAN
THIN MAN
hunter

easy

Postby Flyingbrass » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:41 pm

I have hunted lake conway with good results about 15 years ago.
Flyingbrass
hunter

Postby ucaduckhunter » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:00 pm

There won't any WMA's open (if they are there won't be a lot of water if any) be this year. Game and Fish is draining the lake for maintainence. This will effect Pierce and Dix Creeks (the portions of the lake you can hunt on) and Bell Slough WMA.

To be honest with you, I lived there five years and was never impressed with the lake or Bell Slough.

I recommend going east. Northeast, East, or Southeast.

www.agfc.com

Click on the hunting link and follow it around to public hunting areas for waterfowl. Should give you some ideas. Also there are the Federal places.

Good luck
If you love something let it go. If it doesn't come back to you then hunt it down, kill it, and eat it.
ucaduckhunter
hunter

Postby ARDuckBuster » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:32 pm

UCA What about Harris Break? Never hunted there but have drove past it. It is what about 30 min west of Conway?
ARDuckBuster
hunter

Postby ucaduckhunter » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:14 am

ARDuckBuster wrote:UCA What about Harris Break? Never hunted there but have drove past it. It is what about 30 min west of Conway?

Harris Brake is close to Conway and it usually holds water. I don't go for the following reasons.

1) It is CROWDED and I mean bad.

2) It is full of boat ramp scouters (the ones that wait until you leave the ramp, follow you, and then set up fifty feet away).

3) Skybusting is more popular than Razorback football.

4) Overcrowding pressures the ducks away quickly, but that doesn't stop people from coming, crowding you, and skybusting.

I'll go to the river before I go to Harris Brake. If the weather is too bad for me to be on the river then I don't go. If the rain comes in and you got to make a choice I would say Bald Knob or Point Remove.

There will be a few places to hunt around Conway. I am afraid that the closing of Bell Slough and the Lake will push those people on to the only close public areas I would hunt. I am living in Bryant this year. I will be going anywhere but Conway. I'd recomend the same to you.

As a sidenote, I don't know what they are going to do with that walk in hunting behind the Lake Conway dam. Its probably not going to get flooded this year. That won't be a loss cause it has rarely been any good anyways (only when all the college kids are gone home for the Christmas Holidays and wasn't really good then).

Good luck where ever you go.
If you love something let it go. If it doesn't come back to you then hunt it down, kill it, and eat it.
ucaduckhunter
hunter

Postby sigep538 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:28 pm

Hi i am from the area. I just got in to duck hunting and I have a few spots but you can look north to Ed Gordan it seems to be very hit and miss but can be good
Be men for if we are not men we canot be brothers. Fall 96
Teal 5
Canada 1
Ruddy 1
Gadwall 2
Ring-necked 4
Canvasback 1
Mallard 1
Spoonie 2
tree rats 15
doves 1
dragonflies 2
Deer 1
sigep538
hunter

Postby THIN MAN » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:52 pm

Thanks for the info fellas! Looks like I should try to hire a guide since this trips going to be kinda short. Thanks again!!

THIN MAN
For we were born yesterday,and know nothing,
because our days on earth are only a shadow.

JOB 8:9
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:25 pm

ucaduckhunter wrote:
ARDuckBuster wrote: (only when all the college kids are gone home for the Christmas Holidays and wasn't really good then). .

Always trying to make the younger generation feel bad......

:toofunny: :tounge:
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting