Dave Donaldson WMA

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Dave Donaldson WMA

Postby satguy1963 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:58 am

I am a Missouri hunter who is trying something different this year. I was wanting to know how crowded Dave Donaldson is during the week? I have a new phowler 18ft with a 36hp prodrive. Its closer for me to hunt this area as it is the duck parks in Southern MO. I do not want to know your honey holes just some access info as I will be coming thru Poplar Bluff and down thru Corning. At what point up to opening day can you scout out the area? I just don,t want to be the new guy in the area barging in on someone elses hunt when birds are flying. If anyone has info on how the area works, like courtesies, how far apart folks usually are ect.
Thank you
Mike
satguy1963
hunter

Re: Dave Donaldson WMA

Postby SouthernRoots » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Your not going to get much help out of the good ole boys that have hunted there all their life. You can't blame them. Bottom line is your going to have to do your homework just like everyone else. It's a big place and the best advice I can give you is just go hunting. Your going to have to burn a precious few mornings at first. hunt, watch where the ducks are going, and try to get close to them without getting shot. With the lack of rainfall in AR this year who know how the flooding situation is going to be on any of the WMA's. Also, public means public! In my experience if you come up on a good looking hole just throw out your decoys or hunt decoys that are already there. If anyone shows up to hunt then you have three choices: you leave, they leave, or you hunt together! I have made some life long hunting buddies by hunting decoys that where left by someone hunting "my" hole. We hunt together every year now. Good luck
SouthernRoots
hunter

Postby steve-o » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:57 pm

if you have to come through poplar bluff, how is duck creek not closer?
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Dave Donaldson WMA

Postby talltimber » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:29 am

Draw area, not a guaranteed hunt unless you have a reservation.
talltimber
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:40 pm

I dont mean to hijack your thread but stevo how long have you hunted dd jw
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Dave Donaldson WMA

Postby steve-o » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:15 pm

Never been there jack. I have been to duck creek, but it wasn't for hunting. Just in the area so I stopped in. Which is more than I can say for dd.

steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 am

Wher in AR are you, Steve?
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby steve-o » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:22 am

Batesville

steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:26 pm

Ahh . . . I've got family over there. "Watkins". So I'm guessing you to be a white river guy?
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby satguy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks southern roots for the info, Steveo asked why I dont hunt duck creek. The birds are sporadic there and it has been under reconstruction for a couple of years and still not done. Otter Slough has 60-70 parties a day trying to draw for 30 spots. My favorite hunting is in the timber anyway. Duck creek is an hour and 40 minutes drive and otter slough is 2 1/2 hours which is the same as DD.
Phowler Extreme 1856
Prodrive 36hp
Avery Quickset blind

If it ain't broke don't fix it
satguy
hunter

Postby steve-o » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:24 pm

cannon wrote:Ahh . . . I've got family over there. "Watkins". So I'm guessing you to be a white river guy?

as far as hunting I am a black river guy from Jacksonport to Rainey Brake. You have to remember Batesville is still in the hills. On the coldest nastiest days you can easily kill ducks on the White near Batesville. Other than duck hunting I am a White River guy.

satguy wrote:Thanks southern roots for the info, Steveo asked why I dont hunt duck creek. The birds are sporadic there and it has been under reconstruction for a couple of years and still not done. Otter Slough has 60-70 parties a day trying to draw for 30 spots. My favorite hunting is in the timber anyway. Duck creek is an hour and 40 minutes drive and otter slough is 2 1/2 hours which is the same as DD.

I forgot about Otter Slough, but understand the draw problem. (SEE ARKANSAS. WE DON'T WANT A DRAW SYSTEM.) I have worked a lot over the past years in the Dudley, Dexter, Sikeston area. There have been ducks everywhere. It is like the ducks know that Missouri's season goes out and Arkansas' is still in, or there is a giant net stretched across the state board keeping the ducks in Missouri.

steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Dave Donaldson WMA

Postby talltimber » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:59 pm

You're not kidding there. When you guys are closed, we can tell, without looking at a calendar.
talltimber
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting