New to the Area

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

New to the Area

Postby apg36820 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 am

Hello everyone,

I am currently living in central missouri and love the duck hunting here. there are alot of oppurtunites for good public land hunting. I am graduating college in december and will be relocating to northwest arkansas for a job. I dont know anyone down there that will be able to take me with them or point me in the right direction. I am looking for any advice, help, or insights you are willing to give me. Maybe a few people to tag along with. i figured DHC is probally the best place for me to ask. im not wanting anyones secret honey holes just some friendly advice.

Thanks,
apg36820
hunter

Re: New to the Area

Postby rivershark » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:56 pm

Don't know about the west but I hear the Arkansas river is pretty good.
i dont know who you are or where you're going, but its a race to get there!
there are 3 things that make or break a friendship: politics, religion and duck hunting
rivershark
hunter

New to the Area

Postby Arkiewaterfowl » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:11 am

Fayetteville area has lots of small good hunting spots.. Have to put in the effort and you'll find them.
Arkiewaterfowl
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:45 am

I'm new to the area as well. Just moved up here for college from northeast arkansas near jonesboro. Hoping to find some decent areas around here so I don't have to drive home every weekend to kill ducks. Not looking to kill limits every day, but a few ducks here and there would be great. I've heard mixed reviews about frog bayou and beaver lake. They say FB isn't bad, it's just extremely crowded. And I don't have a boat so BL is sort of out of the question. Any advice?
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

New to the Area

Postby Arkiewaterfowl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:14 am

Stay away from frog.. I quit hunting there 3 years ago. Worst crowding issue you'll ever face.. White river on the south side of beaver and east of Fayetteville is good walk in
Arkiewaterfowl
hunter

New to the Area

Postby Arkiewaterfowl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:15 am

Also the Illinois river south of Siloam springs is excellent
Arkiewaterfowl
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:46 pm

Arkiewaterfowl wrote:Also the Illinois river south of Siloam springs is excellent

Thanks! I'm hoping to spend next Saturday scouting areas around here, just to see what is doable without a boat. Either river sounds promising, the only issue is retrieving ducks without a boat or a dog. Is Frog really that bad? And is there any public ground to the southwest of FB WMA that would be usable? Thanks again I really appreciate it. I would love to tag along with anyone around here. I can supply a couple dozen mixed decoys and I'm not terrible on a call.
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby gtlegs » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:33 pm

Opening morning two years ago we showed up early to get a good spot on a small hole at Frog Bayou. The water hole coudn't be more than 10-15 acres. By LST we counted 17 trucks at this hole. That was the last day I hunted there. You can kill ducks there, but be prepared to be crowded. There are some public DU holes in the Dyer bottoms but they are hit and miss. You can find Corp. property around the Mulberry River bottoms that you can walk in and scratch out some ducks. Most of the better places you will need a boat to hunt. But, if you come down around the River Valley be prepared, it's always crowded and not many birds to share. If you are willing to drive a ways, there are some good spots over in Oklahoma as well.
gtlegs
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:11 pm

gtlegs wrote:Opening morning two years ago we showed up early to get a good spot on a small hole at Frog Bayou. The water hole coudn't be more than 10-15 acres. By LST we counted 17 trucks at this hole. That was the last day I hunted there. You can kill ducks there, but be prepared to be crowded. There are some public DU holes in the Dyer bottoms but they are hit and miss. You can find Corp. property around the Mulberry River bottoms that you can walk in and scratch out some ducks. Most of the better places you will need a boat to hunt. But, if you come down around the River Valley be prepared, it's always crowded and not many birds to share. If you are willing to drive a ways, there are some good spots over in Oklahoma as well.

Well crap. Frog Bayou looked promising, but if the crowding is that bad I'll probably have to look around a little more. Is it any better if you can get in later in the season and avoid crowds or are they always there? Also, if anyone needs a hunting buddy give me a pm or email at madden7070@hotmail.com. I would be happy to contribute decoys and calling. Thanks again for all the help you guys have been.
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:40 pm

looking at the map, there seems to be some promising potholes to the southwest of the actual WMA. Is any of that public land or is it all privately owned?
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby gtlegs » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:23 pm

PM sent.
gtlegs
hunter

Postby cannon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:53 am

Don't be afraid to rock the Beaver. Lived there for a while. You get dirty looks, but all the land inside the high-water line is Corps and open to hunting. Sure, they're residents, but they're still ducks.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby dmadden7070 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:02 am

i'm probably going to look into just buying a boat so I can hunt Beaver and some of the rivers around here.
dmadden7070
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting