Northwest Arkansas Duck Hunting

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Northwest Arkansas Duck Hunting

Postby dmadden7070 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Hey guys, I just moved into the Fayetteville area to attend college. I grew up in Northeast Arkansas hunting out of pits and over on the cache river. It doesn't seem economical to go back every weekend for hit or miss hunting, and I would like to hear about the hunting in this part of the state. I don't own a boat so Beaver Lake is out of the question for the most part, but I do have a couple dozen mixed decoys and I'm not bad on a call. Looking for hunting buddies, either from on campus or around the area. Also looking for advice on the public land around here. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Re: Northwest Arkansas Duck Hunting

Postby GMC57 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:56 am

I was in the same boat last year except i moved from oklahoma. I can tell you your best bet will be learning some areas just across the border. There are some marshes and other areas about a hours drive from here. PM me if you want any other information.
GMC57
hunter

Postby jimmyscott » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:39 am

You're not going to get spoiled on duck hunting in NWA like you would in NEA. That said, check out Frog Bayou (Alma, AR) and Kerr Reservoir (Sallisaw, OK). There are walk-in places at each of those. This part of the state is right in between two flyways (Central and Mississippi). I think the birds we see in NWA are mostly Central flyway birds. Therefore, the more west you go, the better off you'll be. Or, go south to the Arkansas river. Some Central flyway birds use the Arkansas as a travel corridor, and they take it all the way to east Arkansas. (That's why Stuttgart and the surrounding areas are so bountiful; because they get most Mississippi and some Central flyway birds.) If you'll spend a little time on google earth checking out the Arkansas river, you'll find areas that water gets backed up. Some of those areas have walk-in possibilities (hint: I already mentioned two of those locations.). When the weather gets so cold that ponds freeze up, head to any river or creek (hint: You shouldn't have to travel very far.). If there is running water, you'll probably see the ducks. My best mornings in NWA have been when the temperature is below 15 degrees. That should be enough information to get you started.
jimmyscott
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:29 am

jimmyscott wrote:You're not going to get spoiled on duck hunting in NWA like you would in NEA. That said, check out Frog Bayou (Alma, AR) and Kerr Reservoir (Sallisaw, OK). There are walk-in places at each of those. This part of the state is right in between two flyways (Central and Mississippi). I think the birds we see in NWA are mostly Central flyway birds. Therefore, the more west you go, the better off you'll be. Or, go south to the Arkansas river. Some Central flyway birds use the Arkansas as a travel corridor, and they take it all the way to east Arkansas. (That's why Stuttgart and the surrounding areas are so bountiful; because they get most Mississippi and some Central flyway birds.) If you'll spend a little time on google earth checking out the Arkansas river, you'll find areas that water gets backed up. Some of those areas have walk-in possibilities (hint: I already mentioned two of those locations.). When the weather gets so cold that ponds freeze up, head to any river or creek (hint: You shouldn't have to travel very far.). If there is running water, you'll probably see the ducks. My best mornings in NWA have been when the temperature is below 15 degrees. That should be enough information to get you started.

Thanks! I'll be sure to give it a try this season.
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:18 am

Has anyone tried to the Southeast of Lake Sequoyah or is that all private land along those streams?
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby desnadog » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:28 pm

It is still in city limits by the bridge before Elkins. The cops will run you off! The other side where the White River flows into the lake is all private. If you can get permission I'd love to hunt there! I tore em up until the cops ran me off!
desnadog
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:01 pm

I'll definitely look into that. Do you know who owns that land on the White River?
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby desnadog » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:13 pm

I sure don't. I'm not above knocking on some doors to find out though!
desnadog
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:55 pm

From the sound of things it may be a worth-while effort
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby Cutem52 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:15 am

I go to the University also and live right off campus. Right next to Walmart on campus. I am from around Alma about 45 minutes away and have a lot of knowledge of the area. We should get together.
Cutem52
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:35 am

For sure. You live in those apartments right outside the entrance to Garland parking garage?
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby poorshot » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:17 pm

I go to school in Fayetteville, grew up in Bentonville. Pretty much a die hard hunter and always looking for new people to hunt with. Unfortunately hunting isnt really good unless it super cold. Have to drive at least a 1.5 hours to get to the numbers. Hit me up if you want to get together and try to kill something.
poorshot
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:45 am

There is a little run off the arkansas river southwest of arbuckle island that looks like it would hold ducks. anyone know if that is public or private?
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby PintailKiller » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:58 pm

dmadden7070 wrote:There is a little run off the arkansas river southwest of arbuckle island that looks like it would hold ducks. anyone know if that is public or private?

All the area around Arbuckle Island is private...The south side of the river is not really worth it anyway unless it gets REALLY cold (like 2 years ago when the river froze over) and the river gets up...even then, the people who own it are pretty strick about who they let on it (usually only family memebers)
Here comes two singles...
PintailKiller
hunter

Postby SCS22 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:16 pm

I'm in the same boat man. I've got some decoys, normally hunt with buddies in South and NE Arkansas too far of a drive for me every weekend. Y'all PM me and we can all get together
SCS22
hunter

Postby IH_Scout80 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:42 pm

All the area around Arbuckle Island is private...The south side of the river is not really worth it anyway unless it gets REALLY cold (like 2 years ago when the river froze over) and the river gets up...even then, the people who own it are pretty strick about who they let on it (usually only family memebers)

The area south of the main island is shown as part of the Ozark Lake Cooperative WMA (see link below).

PintailKiller- have you been stopped down there by the landowner or a GW?

I'm with you dmadden7070- looks pretty ducky.

http://www.agfc.com/resources/maps/FrogBayou_d.pdf
IH_Scout80
Newb

Postby PintailKiller » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:14 am

IH_Scout80 wrote:

The area south of the main island is shown as part of the Ozark Lake Cooperative WMA (see link below).

PintailKiller- have you been stopped down there by the landowner or a GW?

I'm with you dmadden7070- looks pretty ducky.

http://www.agfc.com/resources/maps/FrogBayou_d.pdf

If you can access it from the river you can hunt it. If your talking about crossing the little levee/jetties back in the creek towards Yoestown, you cannot. If you can access it by four-wheeler (over aforementioned levee) then it is considered private property. Remember, the Corps owns up to a certain elevation (which basically means you can hunt the bank of any part of the river...you just cannot cross land and hunt. I've hunted there 4 or 5 times in the last few years and been checked 2 or 3 times...Hope this helps! Good Luck
Here comes two singles...
PintailKiller
hunter

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:50 pm

I've talked with the farmers down there preseason a few times and they are very friendly but always make a point to say there is no hunting allowed. Now if the river gets up and you can float your boat over the dikes it's all yours but in that case there is already a ton of flooded areas and the hunting will be anyone's guess. There is also a few guys that lease those ponds to the SW of that area right against the levee. They do some shooting and I've always tried to figure out who they are and how to get in but no luck so far.

Best bet for these early season ducks around here is put in some windshield time and find them. I've been hunting around here for seven years and have yet to find any guaranteed good areas. It varies greatly with weather and water conditions.
UofAduckman1987
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting