Question about Duck Hunting Leases/Public Land

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

Postby quackhunter99 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:07 pm

Hey yall,
I've got a couple questions. Me and some of my hunting buddies are looking to get a lease somewhere in Mississippi or Arkansas. We would like to do the type of lease where we get to choose when we hunt and how we hunt it basiclly. Pits do not already need to be in place but that would be a definite plus. Our main concern is that we do not want to lease through an outfitter/ leasing service that will rotate us through different blinds and determine what we do. We just want a field with a hunting history that we can be sure will be flooded. I understand that we will likely not be able to find one for this season, which is why we are already trying to secure one for next season. My dad used to do this sort of lease up around claypools and is trying to get in contact with his guy, but is having trouble contacting him. If yall can help me figure out where we can start to look for these leases, any advice on what to look for and what to avoid that would be great. Feel free to PM with any advice/ help you can offer me.

My second question is this. My friends and I are students at Ole Miss this year and are trying to figure out the public land oppertunities in area since the chances of finding a lease for this season are slim. We are all expirienced duck hunters with all necessary gear and knowlage to get duck. The only problem is that we are new to this particular area and dont really know where to go or how the public land up here works. Im NOT asking for any of yalls spots and anything like that, because i have my own spots back home i wouldnt give up. But if anyone could just point me in the right direction so we can start to do some research and scouting that would be amazing. We are bring our boat up in a week or to and we would like to start some scouting. Once again, a PM with any information would be greatly appricated

Any way yall can help me and my buddies that would be amazing. We are missing our season back home and its killing us because we live for ducking hunting. Most of us were in the blind while we were still in dipers. If yall can give us some good enough info on public hunting or a good lead on a lease, id be willing to take you on a hunting or fishing trip if your ever passing through my neck of the woods back home. Thanks.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby steve-o » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Question #1 can't help you. Sorry.
Question #2 www.agfc.com.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Question about Duck Hunting Leases/Public Land

Postby dmadden7070 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 pm

I'm from the Jonesboro area and I'm at the University of Arkansas now. I know some people that had a lease like that at clay pool as well where they killed quite a few ducks. Cache River between Jonesboro and Newport is good if you can catch it right. Also, you may look into Bayou De View. There are some timber hunting areas there that can be spot on. There is one area in particular that is literally across the road from a well known club and has a similar set up. With any public area you'll probably have to beat the crowd. If you go Southeast Arkansas Bayou Meto is probably the most well known duck WMA in the nation. It's what gained Stuttgart it's fame. Black River is farther to the north. I would definitely look into google maps and find marked wmas or use the agfc website like he said.
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby PC76 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:56 am

Google Earth and prepare to waste some gas.
Last edited by PC76 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC76
hunter

Postby Ole Cypress » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:50 am

Good luck Bro. Call AGFC and get yourself some maps. No ones gonna throw you a bone. We all had to do,the same. See ya at the ramp!
Ole Cypress
hunter

Postby gomer snerd » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:36 am

Dave Donaldson and big lake might be better this year with the new regulations.
gomer snerd
hunter

Postby steve-o » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:08 am

don't hold your breath gomer

steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby chris_k » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:43 am

www.mdwfp.com and www.agfc.com has all the information you need for now. Get your licenses, check out hunting opportunities in those websites and go scout. It's a long way from lake jackson bud ... Time to put some work in.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks for the websites yall. Thats been a huge help. Im not usually the one asking for the advice so this is kida weird ha. Me and my buddy have already spent 3 tanks of gas scouting the last few weeks and will likely use another this weekend. And yeah chris im a long way from home. But i enjoy the challenge. See yall out there
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby rabbitdundied » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:35 pm

So does your cocker spaniel retrieve ducks pretty well?
rabbitdundied
hunter

Postby gomersnerd » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:23 pm

steve-o wrote:don't hold your breath gomer

why not??
gomersnerd
hunter

Postby steve-o » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:01 pm

I read something about a lawsuit in the paper a couple weeks ago. I thought it might keep the blinds from coming down. Haven't heard or read anything since. Are they indeed gone?

steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackhunter99 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:21 pm

rabbitdundied wrote:So does your cocker spaniel retrieve ducks pretty well?

Actually he is a Damn good duck dog. He's trained just like our lab, hand signals and everything. And he works upland birds too. He hunts right along side my dads black lab.
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby rabbitdundied » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:26 am

quackhunter99 wrote:

Actually he is a Damn good duck dog. He's trained just like our lab, hand signals and everything. And he works upland birds too. He hunts right along side my dads black lab.

I have a female Cocker that is horribly gun shy. I trained her just to give me something to do. Mine is a very smart dog and like you said can do hands signals and the whole nine. After I trained her I tried several methods to get her accustomed to guns and shooting but to no avail. I will very likely get a Boykin when she passes.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:25 pm

Yeah I had a friend whose spainial did the same thing. My dog never had any problem with it.
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby chris_k » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:43 pm

rabbitdundied wrote:
quackhunter99 wrote:

I have a female Cocker that is horribly gun shy. I trained her just to give me something to do. Mine is a very smart dog and like you said can do hands signals and the whole nine. After I trained her I tried several methods to get her accustomed to guns and shooting but to no avail. I will very likely get a Boykin when she passes.

I thought this thread was going somewhere else ...
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby rabbitdundied » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:15 pm

chris_k wrote:
rabbitdundied wrote:
quackhunter99 wrote:

I thought this thread was going somewhere else ...

Not everyone on this site is a jerk.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting