Concealment

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, brassass, whisperin' duck

Concealment

Postby jtwodrff » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:01 am

We will be hunting in rice this year, and over the past couple of years have tried different methods of covering our pits. When we used to hunt out of above ground blinds we just used tree limbs and cane, and that was fine. Since we have been in pits, we have mostly used rice stubble or different marsh grasses, depending on the crop that was planted. What do ya'll think is the best all around method of covering a pit in a rice field? Would tree limbs piled on a pit look too out of place?

Thanks
jtwodrff
hunter

Re: Concealment

Postby dmadden7070 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:37 pm

I'm actually in a similar situation so I'm interested to see what other people say as well. We usually just use a combination of cane and rice stubble.
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby steve-o » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:44 pm

you may try posting this in the do it yourself forum or even the boat blind forum, so there is more traffic and opinions for your question. maybe even the field hunting forum. I'm not saying you should not have posted here. just trying to help you out.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Concealment

Postby Arkiewaterfowl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:03 am

Rice stubble is the best, but the pattern of how you do it is the trick.

Say there's tall stubble around the pit, get chicken wire, bend it in a wavy fashion, go somewhere around the field, get whole root systems of stubble, and make it look like its standing up.

Say there's blowdown rice and the field was all cut on the ground, try and find a dry spot in the field, or go before they flood, take a rake and rake some of the fine chop and put a hefty layer on the blind.

Same for if the field was rolled, lay all the stubble in one detection.

One year we had a burned off field and it burned to the blind, we took black spray paint and painted the top of the pit, and just put a few pieces of stubble to break it up.

Someone might have better advise that works for you, but this is the way we've always done it and killed ducks.
Arkiewaterfowl
hunter

Postby rivershark » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 pm

We used that artificial grass mat stuff. Works good and is pretty durable. The chicken wire is also a good thing as previously stated. We've used pvc pipe for framing and then stretched like a max 4 camo material over it then cut and zip tied rice stubble to the chicken wire we laid over the camo material. Its easy to flip out of your way for shooting.
i dont know who you are or where you're going, but its a race to get there!
there are 3 things that make or break a friendship: politics, religion and duck hunting
rivershark
hunter

Postby Docball » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:50 am

i generally try to use what's there with wire or decoys string to secure it. i have used the artificial grass and it only looks good if you drag it behind a truck for a mile or so. The grass is generally lighter than rice straw so I'll mist black paint on it to make the colors match. Hope this helps
Docball
Newb

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting