Afternoon duck hunting

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Afternoon duck hunting

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:36 am

Anybody know of any wma's where you can hunt in the afternoon. I know most of them you have to stop at 10 or 12
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:54 pm


Re: Afternoon duck hunting

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:07 am

Also i was thinking about the Arkansas river, i figured you can there since it isnt a wma. What are the rules for hunting the river, where you can and cant hunt? Boating regulations as far as where you can legally take your boat? Where I'm from anywhere you can take your boat with out getting out, you can hunt. Just wanted to give it a look and change up from the flooded timber
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:54 pm

Afternoon duck hunting

Postby PC76 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:18 am

There are some places on the river I wouldn't mind hunting either. Interested to see what some of the lesser known laws are. I know hunting by a residence is illegal around roads, but is there any kind of other restrictions that are for the AR river? I found a killer spot that had geese but due to work I missed opening day and someone slaughtered them in the spot. Found a few floaters close by the next day.
User avatar
PC76
hunter
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:39 pm

Re: Afternoon duck hunting

Postby steve-o » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:38 am

I asked a GW that i know well about where you are allowed to run boats. he told me "with in the main banks of a river".
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
User avatar
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4704
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: Afternoon duck hunting

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Yes but what about oxbows and such that connect to the river, this seems to always be a grey area no matter where you are. All I've heard about is people goose hunting the river, any ducks? Are there any WMAs you can hunt in the afternoon? Sorry for all the questions, im an out of stater but have hunted Arkansas many years on my own, mainly the cache and have always done well. This year I want to make more trips but can only go a couple days at a time this year. Hunting the cache it usually takes us a couple days to get on them. Being able to hunt in the afternoons would make it much more worth it. Im not gonna pay a guide, that takes the fun and skill out of it.
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: Afternoon duck hunting

Postby brassass » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:56 am

you cannot hunt ducks on public WMAs or NWRs past noon, most you have to be out by either noon or 1 if you are duck hunting. Some wmas but not nwrs you can hunt all day the last 3 days of duck season.

I don't know which river you are talking about but if the water is navigable, meaning barges and what not run it, you can hunt in the water on pretty much anything the water touches so long as it is accessible from the main channel, once you touch the bank that is different story. I have heard something like 100 feet is corp owned but i would stay in the boat in the water for safety.

If the water is not navigable, i.e. the cache then unless there is NWR/WMA on one side the landowner owns everything to the center of the river. if there is nwr on one side and private on the other and you want to hunt the river, then do not let anything touch the bottom on the private side otherwise it is considering trespassing.

If in doubt, hunt somewhere else, straight from a fed green jeans himself
User avatar
brassass
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:46 am
Location: central arkansas

Afternoon duck hunting

Postby Luladucks1 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:10 pm

You are supposed to stay inside the normal water lines, meaning, if the river comes up and creates navigable water into private property then it's still private property and u will be trespassing.
You kind of need to know where the normal water levels are or you can get in trouble pretty quick.
User avatar
Luladucks1
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Afternoon duck hunting

Postby steve-o » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Luladucks1 wrote:You are supposed to stay inside the normal water lines, meaning, if the river comes up and creates navigable water into private property then it's still private property and u will be trespassing.
You kind of need to know where the normal water levels are or you can get in trouble pretty quick.

This is what I was trying to say
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
User avatar
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4704
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: Afternoon duck hunting

Postby cannon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:58 am

Corps says "inside the high water mark". That doesn't mean the highest point it ever floods, but rather the highest of its normal pool. As for things you run into from the river, brassass is dead on the money. IF its accessible from the river, you can access it and navigate through it freely. HOWEVER, if a decoy weight, boat anchor, the skeg from your outboard, or your foot makes contact with the underlying soil, you're trespassing. If you tie off to a tree or any other structure that is in contact with the soil below the water, you're trespassing. Essentially, you can motor through, but you can't tie off and hunt.

On Navigable waterways or corps owned property, you can hunt any islands or other outlying strips of land that naturally occur inside that high watermark. If the Corps of Engineers in Memphis, TN, lists a stream as navigable, the fed's control and that rule is constant. If, however, it is NOT specifically listed as a "navigable" waterway by the Corps, it is reserved to the state and the adjacent landowner holds title to the centerpoint of the streambed, just like Brass said.

Interestingly, as Brassass mentioned, the Cache River is the ONLY stream specifically mentioned by the COE as a "non-navigable" waterway, as they apparently wanted to clearly point out that there need be no controversey over whether it was private.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
User avatar
cannon
hunter
 
Posts: 4436
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Re: Afternoon duck hunting

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:35 pm

cannon wrote:Corps says "inside the high water mark". That doesn't mean the highest point it ever floods, but rather the highest of its normal pool. As for things you run into from the river, brassass is dead on the money. IF its accessible from the river, you can access it and navigate through it freely. HOWEVER, if a decoy weight, boat anchor, the skeg from your outboard, or your foot makes contact with the underlying soil, you're trespassing. If you tie off to a tree or any other structure that is in contact with the soil below the water, you're trespassing. Essentially, you can motor through, but you can't tie off and hunt.

On Navigable waterways or corps owned property, you can hunt any islands or other outlying strips of land that naturally occur inside that high watermark. If the Corps of Engineers in Memphis, TN, lists a stream as navigable, the fed's control and that rule is constant. If, however, it is NOT specifically listed as a "navigable" waterway by the Corps, it is reserved to the state and the adjacent landowner holds title to the centerpoint of the streambed, just like Brass said.

Interestingly, as Brassass mentioned, the Cache River is the ONLY stream specifically mentioned by the COE as a "non-navigable" waterway, as they apparently wanted to clearly point out that there need be no controversey over whether it was private.


Not to try and argue with anyone, but here is what I have heard. The judge in woodruff county told me he would convict anyone in his court charged with trespassing in this manor. His claim, and he is a landowner, is that you cannot hunt land that is private. He also went on to say that he had gotten into several disagreements with GW's on this subject.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 13667
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Afternoon duck hunting

Postby talltimber » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:19 am

I used to argue this point, hunting private during a flood, but I was wrong in that. After more research it became clear. Not what is always practiced, or enforced, but if it ever came to court I'd say a guy had better just go ahead and get out his billfold.
User avatar
talltimber
hunter
 
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:18 am
Location: SEMO


Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ByersFarm and 8 guests