Duck Hunting Forum banner

snow geese

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  PC76 
#1 ·
I have over 1200 snow decoys shells, socks, and full bodies. Also have 5 layout blinds. What I dont have is a place to hunt them. My proposal is this: you have the geese and land access and are wanting to hunt geese but dont want to spend thousands on decoys. Lets get together. Three people hunting on my side as well as whomever else you would like to have hunt with us. I live in NWA and will travel anywhere in Arkansas.

#6 ·
I wish there was some sort of a listing, or openings for farmers that actually want folks to come push them off their land. My buddies went to several farms to ask about clearing them out, but it was either no answer. Or the owners wife would say that she like to watch them.

#7 ·
PC76 said:
I wish there was some sort of a listing, or openings for farmers that actually want folks to come push them off their land. My buddies went to several farms to ask about clearing them out, but it was either no answer. Or the owners wife would say that she like to watch them.
There is, during the CO season. AGFC has a hotline you can call that details the location of farmers who want hunters to keep snows off their property, or at least that's what they have done in the past.

The problem with letting guys hunt is that there is a general state of retardation amongst those asking. When the people requesting permission to hunt realize that the farmer's North 40 is 1-mile down a muddy dirt road, the hunters automatically assume that they should drive their suburban and attached trailer down that road, cutting 10" ruts as they go. When they're told they'll have to walk, they ask if they can take their UTV, ATV, etc. When the farmer says no, they quit and go home.

I've let people hunt CO season snows on my property before. They tend to trash the place, which means I spend waaaaaay to much on diesel, equipment, and labor trying to fix what they mess up. I'm not saying you're like that, but rather that's the reason farmers tend to say "heck no, stay off my property." For those interested in getting permission from local landowners, tell them on the front end that you'll walk in and out and won't let a single tire touch their property. Add to that the promise that there won't be 15 mountain dew bottles lying around when you leave and you'll pick up your empties, and I'd guarantee that your level of success will increase.

#8 ·
cannon said:
PC76 said:
There is, during the CO season. AGFC has a hotline you can call that details the location of farmers who want hunters to keep snows off their property, or at least that's what they have done in the past.

The problem with letting guys hunt is that there is a general state of retardation amongst those asking. When the people requesting permission to hunt realize that the farmer's North 40 is 1-mile down a muddy dirt road, the hunters automatically assume that they should drive their suburban and attached trailer down that road, cutting 10" ruts as they go. When they're told they'll have to walk, they ask if they can take their UTV, ATV, etc. When the farmer says no, they quit and go home.

I've let people hunt CO season snows on my property before. They tend to trash the place, which means I spend waaaaaay to much on diesel, equipment, and labor trying to fix what they mess up. I'm not saying you're like that, but rather that's the reason farmers tend to say "heck no, stay off my property." For those interested in getting permission from local landowners, tell them on the front end that you'll walk in and out and won't let a single tire touch their property. Add to that the promise that there won't be 15 mountain dew bottles lying around when you leave and you'll pick up your empties, and I'd guarantee that your level of success will increase.
This

#9 ·
Well I can see what your saying. My folks and other have a bunch of cattle land in Missouri. Made the same mistake regarding turkey and deer hunting. The kids came back partied and trashed the area after hours. Needless to say that 350 acres gets almost zero hunting use beside firearm deer. There's about 4 of us that may go and I haven't really been able to for the last 3 years now, since I will be on a military temporary duty from the 5-15 of November.

Thanks for the heads up I will definetly throw that out upfront. I would think alot of folks kinda get turned off by military folks too. Seems like a few gives us a bad rep and unfortunately that's what folks remember.

I will keep on the lookout for that listing though. I wish I knew a little more about crop farming as I would offer a favor also. I understand it takes alot of work, but I am sure there are some small manageable tasks that a owner could use a quick hand with. Fencing and cutting trees would be the norm for where I am from but on a crop I have noticed the need for this would be minimal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.