T Minus 3 Days & Counting

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

T Minus 3 Days & Counting

Postby cannon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Wish I were ready. Lots to do, not enough time.

Go get 'em, fellas.
Last edited by cannon on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

T Minus 13 Days & Counting

Postby steve-o » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:19 pm

I haven't even started to get ready. I did scout some yesterday. Pintails. Pintails. Pintails.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Re: T Minus 13 Days & Counting

Postby Humpbackshooter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Know what your saying. I haven't even been over to the camp yet. Hope that the other fellows have the the place half ready to go. The ones that have been over, say there is very few birds to look at. Plan on going over Friday & Saturday. Have ya'll got any birds yet or they just "locals" as our farmer calls them.
Hump.
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:19 pm

Humpbackshooter wrote:Know what your saying. I haven't even been over to the camp yet. Hope that the other fellows have the the place half ready to go. The ones that have been over, say there is very few birds to look at. Plan on going over Friday & Saturday. Have ya'll got any birds yet or they just "locals" as our farmer calls them.
Hump.

Lots of ducks right now. It'll be that way till it rains, then they'll be scattered all over creation. I'm running myself to death chasing water right now. I almost waited too late to start prepping a spot where they could stop off for a drink.

Good to hear from ya, hump. Good luck with em.
cannon
hunter

Postby PC76 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Well I am pretty sure I am as ready as I am gonna be....Air Force is sending me to Tx for two weeks starting tomorrow, and I get to come back the evening of the 16th. Probably missed something getting ready, but I have it all set up in the garage ready to pack up, and head out the next morning.
PC76
hunter

Postby jc_182002 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:18 am

this is the "where the hell" season as my wife calls it. i guess all she hears is where the hell is my decoy weights, jerk string, etc etc...... :huh:

Shaping up to be good down this way if you have the water.
jc_182002
hunter

T Minus 13 Days & Counting

Postby whisperin' duck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:48 pm

The guy that owns the farm I'm hunting is running around like a chicken with his head cut-off. Prolly gonna hunt public cause he ain't gonna have it all together!

:lol3: NOT!!! :yes: game one, I'm stoked!
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Humpbackshooter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:31 pm

I like that "where the hell" quote. :lol3: :lol3: I know the feeling. Lucky for me, I just got to load up a few more shell and hopefully that will get me to the frist break. I will say that our farmer is one of the best. He takes care of us. Then again, we try to make it easy on him. If he needs something,( thats not to much out of the ? ), it some how shows up. He likes this time of the year also cause he knows that there is going to be some good cooking going on out at the house (cappie, steaks,red snapper and redfin) and most of the time he can add a little pocket change from the poker games. ( .5,.10, .25, we've got deep pockets. hea-right) :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: We keep him entertained with some of the B.S. that these guys come up with. He must like us- he's put up with us now for going on 20yrs. And I hope it's another 20 too!!!! Cannon, It's time to start up the day to day blog. I always injoy the reading. Check out "Goin South D.C. on facebook. (Thats my blog)
Hump.
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Humpbackshooter wrote:Cannon, It's time to start up the day to day blog. I always injoy the reading. Check out "Goin South D.C. on facebook. (Thats my blog)
Hump.

I'll take a look at that.

Farm has kept me so busy that I haven't even posted the dove season pics. Save a few of those birds for us, bro.
cannon
hunter

Postby cannon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:25 pm

cannon
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:36 pm

can't beat a big ole mess of gadwalls. looks like you're in for some good shooting opening day :thumbsup:
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby steve-o » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:52 pm

I spotted hollywood :grooving: You shoot them first, right cannon?
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:14 am

steve-o wrote:I spotted hollywood :grooving: You shoot them first, right cannon?

Absolutely. I'd place money that the first bird that goes Titz- up on cannon's place is ole Mr. Hollywood himself.
cannon
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Looking good Cannon. I just sent a nice cooler back your way. The Heron and I are running around trying to get it all together. We've got plenty of birds and will have 1700 acres of water be next wednesday. I'm planning on saving the rest for later in the season.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby cannon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:38 pm

ByersFarm wrote:Looking good Cannon. I just sent a nice cooler back your way. The Heron and I are running around trying to get it all together. We've got plenty of birds and will have 1700 acres of water be next wednesday. I'm planning on saving the rest for later in the season.

Geez. I wish I could say that I had 70 acres wet. All I've got is the bottom side of a field here & there. 1700 acres . . . You've been busy, bro. I bet it's hard to sleep at night over the commotion in your fields.

Good luck with 'em. My bro in law will be stoked about the cooler.
cannon
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:37 pm

let the countdown countinue...8.....we have water and plenty of ducks...more pintails than we can remember. zillions of gads, teal, mallards, and of course the elusive northern shovler. there was a 160 acre field this week that you couldnt get another speck on. and out ofall that only about 100 snows. specks, specks and more specks. it appears that there will be a serious blood lettin in just over a week. :grooving:
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:32 pm

mitchmc wrote:it appears that there will be a serious blood lettin in just over a week. :grooving:

One would hope. Conditions are as close to perfect as they get right now, but we're a single 5" rain away from staring at a wasteland (EXACTLY what happened last season). I intentionally keep the floods light on dry years, 'cause in doing so, I can control where the birds go. There are too many ducks crammed into too small an area for me to give 'em free reign right now. I let 'em have one 70 acre field the last week in October, and they fed through it in less than a week.
cannon
hunter

Postby PC76 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:50 pm

Cannon, love that pic of the rigs and the crane behind that nice green field. There isn't anything other that a dark shade of brown here in northern Texas. Seeing pics like that gets me excited to be back, and I think I am gonna run around here to Lake Arrowhead to see if I can see anything since they got us here on Veterans day weekend with nothing to do for 3 days...I should be using this time to get ready, and put a few rounds through my Stoeger.
PC76
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:14 pm

cannon wrote:
mitchmc wrote:it appears that there will be a serious blood lettin in just over a week. :grooving:

One would hope. Conditions are as close to perfect as they get right now, but we're a single 5" rain away from staring at a wasteland (EXACTLY what happened last season). I intentionally keep the floods light on dry years, 'cause in doing so, I can control where the birds go. There are too many ducks crammed into too small an area for me to give 'em free reign right now. I let 'em have one 70 acre field the last week in October, and they fed through it in less than a week.

That's similar to what we do. I've only flooded one field that I like to hunt during the season, but it was in beans so it's unlikely that it would've produced like I wanted it to. I'm flooding one of my good rice fields now, but I won't roll it until next week. Two more bean fields to follow next week, then an additional 400 acres sometime later in the season if it stays dry. This next rain will help us out as long as it doesn't flood the world.
Come see us sometime if it slows down for you Gibby, or if you just want to see some different water. :thumbsup:

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby cannon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:05 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:

That's similar to what we do. I've only flooded one field that I like to hunt during the season, but it was in beans so it's unlikely that it would've produced like I wanted it to. I'm flooding one of my good rice fields now, but I won't roll it until next week. Two more bean fields to follow next week, then an additional 400 acres sometime later in the season if it stays dry. This next rain will help us out as long as it doesn't flood the world.
Come see us sometime if it slows down for you Gibby, or if you just want to see some different water. :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's a chess game right now. I've got to start the water on a hundred acre field that's only flooded on the bottom, but I don't want to crank it until at least Monday. Too much too soon and they'll wind up feeding in a part of the field where I don't have a blind.

Better watch out with those invites . . . I'll wear you out. :bow: and likewise, if you need a place to get your boots wet, there's always a open spot in the blind at Gibby's Place.
cannon
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:54 am

cannon wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:

Yeah, it's a chess game right now. I've got to start the water on a hundred acre field that's only flooded on the bottom, but I don't want to crank it until at least Monday. Too much too soon and they'll wind up feeding in a part of the field where I don't have a blind.

Better watch out with those invites . . . I'll wear you out. :bow: and likewise, if you need a place to get your boots wet, there's always a open spot in the blind at Gibby's Place.

It's the chess game, not the work, that wears me out.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby jtwodrff » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:29 am

One week from today! :grooving: ...But I have to work opening morning. :fingerhead:

Good luck this season everyone!
jtwodrff
hunter

Postby cannon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Like usual, we're a week out and the forecast is calling for volatile weather. It's a monopoly up here right now, but smart money says they won't hold out until the opener. It's a once in a decade thing when the conditions are perfect for us for the first split. Looks awesome right now, though . . .

Imageku
cannon
hunter

Postby PC76 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:46 pm

My goodness and I thought it was a big deal when I found 40 mallards piling into the lake here in TX. That is amazing, and man if I get into something like that I would be overwhelmed. I think I would forget that I brought my gun, and end up just sitting there in awe.
PC76
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:00 am

PC76 wrote:My goodness and I thought it was a big deal when I found 40 mallards piling into the lake here in TX. That is amazing, and man if I get into something like that I would be overwhelmed. I think I would forget that I brought my gun, and end up just sitting there in awe.

We usually end up "flock shooting" on groups like that early in the season. Folks are starting to pump around us, so the concentration of birds won't last much longer. For now, I'm just having fun watching the show.
cannon
hunter

Next

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting