T Minus 3 Days & Counting

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Re: T Minus 3 Days & Counting

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:15 pm

AR Dave wrote:20 Gadwall yesterday - 18 Gadwall today. We have a lot of Gadwall between Morrilton & Russellville. Watched hundreds of ducks flying in to roost on one of our flooded fields tonight.. Going to be a great year.

I'm new to this forum - doesn't seem to be much duckhuntingchat from Arkansas, other than guide services. Maybe everyone has been too busy hunting.

Not that I feel like you were taking a shot at me, but several DHC members were involved in the making of those pics. Welcome to the forum, hang out and get to know everyone. Including the guide services.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby PC76 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:29 pm

I wish I laid into em like that. Went out 5 times and I would say 3 or em turned out to be scouting trips. My dog got her first retrieve on a nice wigeon drake. If anyone has a good reference on taxidermy around central ar let me know.

I see rain in the forecast so hopefully we get the woods filled up soon.
PC76
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:46 pm

went home for thanksgiving break. field hasn't caught water yet where the pit is and the cache river was too low to be worth trying. too many guys crammed into a little stretch of river by the launch. there are still ducks in the state though. also saw the most snow geese I have ever seen outside cache (the town) over in the northeast this afternoon while I was driving back. shaping up to be a good season. hopefully I can get all our areas lined out in time to kill a few. good luck and stay safe out there guys
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby Scott. » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:59 pm

The couple days I have been out this season. First one was in the fields up in northeast Arkansas, and the other two were around the house down in southwest Arkansas. Pretty good start I would say.

"Honorable scars are not to be penalized."
"There are two kinds of people in the world without beards. Women and boys. I am neither."
WOOOOO PIG SOOOOIEEE
Scott.
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:29 am

ByersFarm wrote:
AR Dave wrote:20 Gadwall yesterday - 18 Gadwall today. We have a lot of Gadwall between Morrilton & Russellville. Watched hundreds of ducks flying in to roost on one of our flooded fields tonight.. Going to be a great year.

I'm new to this forum - doesn't seem to be much duckhuntingchat from Arkansas, other than guide services. Maybe everyone has been too busy hunting.

Not that I feel like you were taking a shot at me, but several DHC members were involved in the making of those pics. Welcome to the forum, hang out and get to know everyone. Including the guide services.

I was among 'em. I've had the same gripe, but my beef has always been guides pumping their service without backing their BS up. I got into a huge exchange with one such guide who claimed to have killed "thousansS" of birds, but refused to post up a single picture. You'll note that Byersfarm ain't primping his service, just documenting the hunts. I wish more people were willing to do that. What you HAVEN'T seen is the pics of the 5 or 6 bands that the service has brought home since the opener. I'd say that the proprietor has been quite humble about it.

My back yard ain't too shabby for fowwlin', but I've been to Cason's place alongside no less than 10 other DHC'ers, and I can tell you that I'm covetous. It's waterfowl paradise, down there.

Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby AR Dave » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:27 am

ByersFarm wrote:

I definitely didn’t mean to point out anyone – I’m a licensed Alaskan Big Game Guide, all though I’ve moved back to Arkansas, so I understand the Guide side of the business. Now I’m excited about Duck hunting and want to talk Ducks. Have been talking about Ducks on a Pheasant Forum, for a year, it just dawned on me that I should try a Duck Forum. AND I want to chat with fellow Arkansawers. My hunting buddy (owner) and I have 2 dozen holes on different properties total over 1,000 acres. One 100 acre flooded soybean field is like a Waterfowl Sanctuary, we watch thousands of ducks come in to roost here. This year I’m going to make sure someone video’s this, if I don’t. Did y’all see the Beaver Hut blind, I just finished? I want to talk food plots, building blinds, strategies, how come I can’t get a band, how to use this Go Pro Hero camera, and etc.. What I’ve noticed is that a lot of hunters, hunt on public land so miss out on the fun of managing private property. I’m going to go blow a Beaver Dam, today or tomorrow.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby PC76 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:10 pm

I would love some of my own land in the future unfortunately being military it doesn't quite allow for me to get far enough from little rock to acquire a piece of land. One that I could afford or would like to own to make use of in the future . Honestly my wife and I grew up in very rural Missouri. When I say this I mean very rural population 89 type of deal. One steeple and a ConocoPhillips within range type of area. The town she is from ain't much different either. Anyways. I feel for my boys I mean part of the fun for us growing up was getting out on the land building forts, climbing trees, and getting the experience. At this point I am not too sure if its safe for a kid to be outside alone at all in town. That being said thank goodness we have about 400 acres of land they get to escape too a few times a year and grandpa is nice enough to save a few stalls full of manure for the boys to shovel. The thing is they actually enjoy it.

I envy you guys that can walk out the back door in whatever attire u desire toting a shotgun in one hand while the dog can run 100 yards and still be in the yard.
PC76
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:45 pm

Cannon,
How's the sign board coming along? I know you've been working on it.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby cannon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:10 pm

ByersFarm wrote:Cannon,

Hard times have befallen the Cannon. I somehow contracted the Ebola Virus, HIV, and TB, all at the same time, and I'm pretty sure I popped an craneial aneurysm yesterday. There is a river of snot pouring from my face and I'm coughing up lung tissue at regular intervals. I think I have a small tumor growing out the side of my neck and my stomach isn't right, so I'm behind on the sign. (Besides, I'm cleaning up the area behind the farm shop so that I can pour the concrete for the duck shack, which I'll need to have in place before I can decide on a proper placement for the dead-animal sign).

By the way, you're killin' me with those bands, bro. Nice work last week. Keep it up and there won't be any need for me to have a sign . . . I'll be camped out down at that gate by the ditch stop sign at your place waiting for invites for the rest of the season.

Meanwhile, if you start to develope a bit of a sore throat, I suggest shooting yourself before it's too late. I sure wish I would've.
cannon
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:12 pm

cannon wrote:

Hard times have befallen the Cannon. I somehow contracted the Ebola Virus, HIV, and TB, all at the same time, and I'm pretty sure I popped an craneial aneurysm yesterday. There is a river of snot pouring from my face and I'm coughing up lung tissue at regular intervals. I think I have a small tumor growing out the side of my neck and my stomach isn't right, so I'm behind on the sign. (Besides, I'm cleaning up the area behind the farm shop so that I can pour the concrete for the duck shack, which I'll need to have in place before I can decide on a proper placement for the dead-animal sign).

By the way, you're killin' me with those bands, bro. Nice work last week. Keep it up and there won't be any need for me to have a sign . . . I'll be camped out down at that gate by the ditch stop sign at your place waiting for invites for the rest of the season.

Meanwhile, if you start to develope a bit of a sore throat, I suggest shooting yourself before it's too late. I sure wish I would've.

I managed to take only one nap during the first split, but I am still worn out after two days of trying to recover. I can't believe I'm not sharing the same fate as you. I'll tell you the story the next time I see you about the scaup. We almost gave up on him before we found him. Lucky me. I also meant to give you two the 8"x10"s I printed out for you from the teal hunt. If the birds are still wiling to die, let's try to catch up after the split is over.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby cannon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:26 am

ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:

I managed to take only one nap during the first split, but I am still worn out after two days of trying to recover. I can't believe I'm not sharing the same fate as you. I'll tell you the story the next time I see you about the scaup. We almost gave up on him before we found him. Lucky me. I also meant to give you two the 8"x10"s I printed out for you from the teal hunt. If the birds are still wiling to die, let's try to catch up after the split is over.

No argument from me. I'm still mad at em.
cannon
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:00 am

Back at it.

Last edited by cannon on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
cannon
hunter

Postby steve-o » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:07 am

Who's shooting blindside? Only blindside could do that to the duck on the left. :fingerhead:
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:04 am

steve-o wrote:Who's shooting blindside? Only blindside could do that to the duck on the left. :fingerhead:

We have one guy that is yet to figure out that it doesn't take the same force to snap a mallard's neck that it takes to snap a giant canada's neck. He slings their heads off almost every time. :no:
cannon
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:05 pm

cannon wrote:
steve-o wrote:Who's shooting blindside? Only blindside could do that to the duck on the left. :fingerhead:

We have one guy that is yet to figure out that it doesn't take the same force to snap a mallard's neck that it takes to snap a giant canada's neck. He slings their heads off almost every time. :no:

Teal I could see, but a mallard? Nice pic and damn nice hunt. Glad y'all got after them. :thumbsup:

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby cannon » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:30 pm

cannon
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Is there a thread about bands? Would be interesting to see what kind of duck, where they were tagged, maybe age, where they were shot. It's a neat thing..
AR Dave
hunter

Postby steve-o » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:30 pm

AR Dave wrote:Is there a thread about bands? Would be interesting to see what kind of duck, where they were tagged, maybe age, where they were shot. It's a neat thing..

there is a thread about this in the honey hole i think

steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:04 am

Thanks found it.. Been a dry run on bands lately in our little group, started keeping an eye on the guys with the dogs.. :scooter:
AR Dave
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:22 pm

cannon wrote:Image

Way to go bud. :thumbsup:

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby steve-o » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:31 pm

nice pile cannon.

steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks, gents. We're short on scraps right now, but mallard limits are coming easy. We left the blind at 7:05 this morning. I'll be interested to see how this cold front shakes things up.

Last edited by cannon on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
cannon
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:50 pm

I must have your scraps cannon. 68 on Saturday.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:58 pm

cannon wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

I was among 'em. I've had the same gripe, but my beef has always been guides pumping their service without backing their BS up. I got into a huge exchange with one such guide who claimed to have killed "thousansS" of birds, but refused to post up a single picture. You'll note that Byersfarm ain't primping his service, just documenting the hunts. I wish more people were willing to do that. What you HAVEN'T seen is the pics of the 5 or 6 bands that the service has brought home since the opener. I'd say that the proprietor has been quite humble about it.

My back yard ain't too shabby for fowwlin', but I've been to Cason's place alongside no less than 10 other DHC'ers, and I can tell you that I'm covetous. It's waterfowl paradise, down there.

Can vouch
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:01 pm

ByersFarm wrote:I must have your scraps cannon. 68 on Saturday.

I can see that the teal are still around! We can't buy one. Mallard swarms should be headed your way. We've got red leggers in town. They're definitely new birds. I'm guessing they scrambled off the Black, because the day the big wads showed up at our place, the guys on the river said things went to hell in a handcart.
cannon
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting