Weather

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

Weather

Postby Folsom » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:38 am

Season is nearing and I have something that really has been bothering me and can't seem to figure it out. I hunt mostly fields with some timber mixed in when its right, but I would say fields 40 days out of the season. I seem to have a tough time on cloudy over cast days in the rice. I know the birds can see better during these days and the staying hid well is huge. Whats some other things you guys do on these cloudy days to keep the birds working? More or less decoys, calling no calling???
Folsom
hunter

Re: Weather

Postby dogmann » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:01 pm

we have the same problems you do we get birds to get a lot closer on a good sunny day. when we have clouds we have tried all kinds of thing but it always seems to be dif for us one day with clouds robo works next day they dont wont it. we try one man calling easy an hard we try two guys making a lot of noise but not being really loud, i know last year opening day it was cloudy i belive and we had to scream at them the whole time. it changes daily just be open to doing dif things.. we should have a good opener good luck
dogmann
Newb

Postby Folsom » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:34 pm

Yeah not the biggest fan of spinners and cloudy days gives me another excuse not to use them. The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is every decoys on jerk rig.
Folsom
hunter

Postby Scott. » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:52 pm

A jerk rig works just as good and sometimes better than calling ever will. On cloudy days we use a lot of decoys and a couple of jerk rigs plus we always try to set up with the wind at our backs.
"Honorable scars are not to be penalized."
"There are two kinds of people in the world without beards. Women and boys. I am neither."
WOOOOO PIG SOOOOIEEE
Scott.
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:00 pm

you gotta read the birds. see what they want. last year on a cloudy day we killed a 5 man limit in a rice field and never picked up a call. i noticed we had birds work the decoys right off the bat before we could get a call out. so we went with it and it worked. calling in field hunts sometimes is over rated. but you have to have self disipline and everybody loves to blowthe guts out of a call, BUT there can be a difference between hunting and killing.....good luck!
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting