Frustrated Hunter

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

Frustrated Hunter

Postby jtwodrff » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:28 pm

I know that there is still a long way to go in this duck season, but this opening weekend was horrible in our area. We hunt near Earle and saw a good number of ducks way out of calling range. We had one on both Saturday and Sunday land in our decoys, but nothing else even looked interested in any field around. Every report that I have seen from surrounding towns is of multiple limits and great hunts...that is except another report from the Earle area that wasnt good either. What is wrong with our area? Are the large duck concentrations just scattered out this early? We were hunting over a rolled rice field with about 6-16 inches of water and plenty of food. :help:
jtwodrff
hunter

Re: Frustrated Hunter

Postby DuaneGrisham » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:50 am

I don't know why they would not use the field unless it's just not in a good flyway. I live in Arkansas county and have guide service, and we killed 18 limits sat and 10 Sunday hunting flooded rice fields also
DuaneGrisham
DHC Sponsor

Postby greenster » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:02 pm

I use to hunt out of a lodge in SE Arkansas. One blind was always Hot, Yet a blind 400 yards away on next field. Same Grain same cut time same flood time.. Everything the same, would get very little action.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:55 am

DuaneGrisham wrote:I don't know why they would not use the field unless it's just not in a good flyway. I live in Arkansas county and have guide service, and we killed 18 limits sat and 10 Sunday hunting flooded rice fields also

Telling him how many ducks you killed was very helpful to him.
I don't know much about Earle other than passing through on 40 at least 4 times a week, and I don't usually see many ducks. I think with the lack of water this year the ducks travelled further to raft up and thus left the smaller fields where they were getting pressured hard.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby jtwodrff » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:19 am

We have killed ducks in earle in the past. 2010-11 season was great. Last year was just a goofy season in a lot of places, but we saw and killed ducks. This year, though its early, we just havent seen the duck numbers in our area that other towns are seeing. What you said about not enough water is exactly what I heard the other day from another hunter who said they were west of Crowley's Ridge as a result of a lack of water. We just need to pray for more water, and I know the rest of the season will only get better.

Thanks
jtwodrff
hunter

Postby ducktrooper1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Don't feel too bad.....I think there are a lot of field hunters who aren't killing many right now. We have about 10 fields around Harrisburg, mostly rice, and none of them did real well over the first phase. Earle is a great area and in the flyway...you should see some ducks when conditions get better in Dec.
ducktrooper1
Newb

Postby DuaneGrisham » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:33 pm

It slacked of in the fields for us also after opening weekend. The full moon and temp def are not helping either.Canana got a real good freeze so we should be getting push of new birds before it comes back in
DuaneGrisham
DHC Sponsor

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Being on one side of the ridge or the other makes a difference. Have hunted Arkansas since 1971 and seen a lot of birds and the majority are on the west side of the ridge, expecially with the Mississippi River so low which doesn't help the east side. As said, location makes a big difference. Some fields in our area when even flooded won't kill ducks and others do no matter what is planted. Our area has been good with multiple pits killing multiple limits daily. Ducks shift from one area to another regularily and it might pick up, but this is a short water year so far and birds are getting shot everywhere there is water. One thing that helps us is not shooting our reservoirs and not hunting in the afternoons. Haven't had to so far. We need rain to help lessen the stress on the feeding birds as many are already nocturnal.

Does your field have a good history?
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting