Sled Blind In The Middle of Bean Field??

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Postby wpexhaust » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:17 am

So I am probably going to open up a can of worms but here it is.. We are hunting a new farm in AR this year. The whole farm is in beans. yeah, I know but it is what it is this year... We where supposed to have pits installed by the farmer before the season. Long story short, it didnt happen and he had a custom 20ft. sled blind built for us. Supposed to get pits installed next year. (Well see!!) It is currently sitting pretty close to the middle of the bean field, so obviously IMO it sticks out like a SORE THUMB! We brushed it pretty good but I am still not happy. We did not get an opportunity to hunt it the 1st opening split due to water issues that have recently been resolved. So my million $$ question is??? Do we leave the sled blind where it lies and continue brushing the hell out of it or do we take all the brush off and spend a day moving the blind up against the tree line? I like the idea of being able to hunt out both sides of the sled blind but if birds wont work the middle of the field because of the way it stands out, does it make sense to limit the wind you can hunt by moving the sled blind to the edge of the tree line?? Adding some pics for reference. Suggestions from folks who have had to deal with this before would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

wpexhaust
hunter

Re: Sled Blind In The Middle of Bean Field??

Postby steve-o » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:50 am

I have hunted out of sled blinds, brushed with cedar, in rice fields. I never seemed to bother the ducks.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dmadden7070 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:09 pm

no taller than that one is I wouldn't worry about it too much until you start having a consistent problem with ducks flaring. If the ducks want to be in the field they'll be there
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:23 pm

One thing I do notice is the levee. If you get a hard wind against the levee you'll run the rish of loosing the levee in the last picture and your water unless there is a bull levee around the whole field. Bean fields are notorious for this as many well know. Good luck with this.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:51 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:One thing I do notice is the levee. If you get a hard wind against the levee you'll run the rish of loosing the levee in the last picture and your water unless there is a bull levee around the whole field. Bean fields are notorious for this as many well know. Good luck with this.

One night of snows in there will do the trick, too. Snows can smash that levee to the point that its indistinguishable from the first of the field in 24 hrs.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby rabbitdundied » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:06 am

Wait is smashing the levee good or bad? We have essentially the same exact setup.
rabbitdundied
hunter

Postby wpexhaust » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:10 am

In the last pic that is actually a sub levy. You cant see in the pic but right behind it there is about a 5 ft wide ditch that runs the edge of the South and east side of the field, for water control. So the water could actually breach that sub levy and the main levy would still hold the water in place. As long as the pipes in the ditch dont break, but there is about 5 ft of dirt in front of the ditch culvert pipes....
wpexhaust
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:22 am

If I were a duck, I would land there. Your lucky to have such a great spot to manage. I personally would brush that sucker in and set my movement off to the side to keep the birds eyes off of it. Honestly, I don't think it looks bad as is.
dgram36
hunter

Postby gomersnerd » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:55 pm

killed many a duck out of similar blinds.
gomersnerd
hunter

Postby wingseeker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:36 pm

Cannon is exactly right with his reply. We have over 20 plus blinds in rice and soybean fields. Much easier
to hide your pit in the rice field. I guess about 90 percent of our blinds are sunken pits but we have a few
"spook blinds" that kinda stick out like a sore thumb but the ducks don't seem to mind.
wingseeker
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting