South Carolina Hunters

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

South Carolina Hunters

Postby AaronR » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:10 am

I have noticed several posts mentioning a bunch of out of state hunters on public land in Ark. I just wanted to share my experience with a group from South Carolina this past weekend.

Long story short; we scouted a bunch of spots and on some public land began killing limits of mallards with not too much pressure around us from other hunters. On the 3rd day we had a group of 3 guys come in pretty close but were very respectful of us and did not interfere with our killing at all. After killing a 4 man limit, we invited the guys over to the spot to hunt over our decoys and the proceeded to kill another 3 limits. Cant say enough about how courteous these guys were and appreciative of us extending that invite to them. I told them to show back up the next morning to hunt with us and they were right on time and even cooked us breakfast out there. Super nice guys.

This goes to show that a little common courtesy on the water can result in some amazing hunts. 28 mallards died that day to make our best hunt of the season followed by 22 mallards the next day. Once again, show a little respect to the hunters around you out there and see what happens. I bet you will have more pleasant experiences than not, wether you are the one on the "x" or not.
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm


Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby cannon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:29 am

AaronR wrote:I have noticed several posts mentioning a bunch of out of state hunters on public land in Ark. I just wanted to share my experience with a group from South Carolina this past weekend.

Long story short; we scouted a bunch of spots and on some public land began killing limits of mallards with not too much pressure around us from other hunters. On the 3rd day we had a group of 3 guys come in pretty close but were very respectful of us and did not interfere with our killing at all. After killing a 4 man limit, we invited the guys over to the spot to hunt over our decoys and the proceeded to kill another 3 limits. Cant say enough about how courteous these guys were and appreciative of us extending that invite to them. I told them to show back up the next morning to hunt with us and they were right on time and even cooked us breakfast out there. Super nice guys.

This goes to show that a little common courtesy on the water can result in some amazing hunts. 28 mallards died that day to make our best hunt of the season followed by 22 mallards the next day. Once again, show a little respect to the hunters around you out there and see what happens. I bet you will have more pleasant experiences than not, wether you are the one on the "x" or not.


Nice story. Just curious, are you from Arkansas?
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
User avatar
cannon
hunter
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby AaronR » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:38 am

No I live in La just south of the line but I hunt Ark more than La on most years.
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby AR Dave » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:21 pm

That's a great sportsman's story and the way I typically find it - only thing that would make it better is pictures. :smile:
User avatar
AR Dave
hunter
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby AaronR » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Day 3 (1st with SC boys), 28 mallards. 1 hunter left with 4 mallards and 2 gads early(not pictured). The remaining 2 mallards were killed while i was taking this picture.
Attachments
image1-2.jpeg
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby AR Dave » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:09 pm

Cool Picture! :thumbsup:
User avatar
AR Dave
hunter
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 pm

South Carolina Hunters

Postby steve-o » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Good story A-A-ron
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
User avatar
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4422
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby rabbitdundied » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:01 pm

Everything works out best if you are respectful to other hunters.
rabbitdundied
hunter
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby AaronR » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:46 am

AR Dave wrote:Cool Picture! :thumbsup:


Thanks! Fun hunt, too bad we have to work...
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby jdr » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Good story, but my experience the past month with out of staters has been horrible. They want to roll in at 6:15 with their mud motors taking their sweet ass time. This happened twice this past weekend at Rainey Brake. Another weekend, we had a group of georgia boys roll in and set right on top of us...and again with mud motors...
jdr
hunter
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:54 am

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby AaronR » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:07 pm

Well i hate to hear you had a bad exoerience. Just know they arent all that way.
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby saltydog256 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:04 am

Aaron Im pretty sure you were hunting with my uncle 'B'. He came home talking more about the guys he met and hunted with than the birds you all killed.Sure is great to know that thier is still comradery in this sport and that southern hospitality carries over to the swamps .HAPPY HOLIDAYS PS. WE ARE
HEADED THAT WAY ON THE 26!
saltydog256
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:46 am

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby AaronR » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:30 am

saltydog256 wrote:Aaron Im pretty sure you were hunting with my uncle 'B'. He came home talking more about the guys he met and hunted with than the birds you all killed.Sure is great to know that thier is still comradery in this sport and that southern hospitality carries over to the swamps .HAPPY HOLIDAYS PS. WE ARE
HEADED THAT WAY ON THE 26!


Well I am glad to hear that. And yes us southerners can be easy to get along with if you remember 3 things: dont mess up my duck hunt, dont steal my beer, and dont mess with my ol lady! (in order of priorty) haha
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby 13space82 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:58 pm

I will be there the 27th....This Ky boy isn't looking for trouble, just a good hunt. I try to be one of the good OOSER's
TNAL45 wrote: Well done sir. I vote this best bitch slap in DHC history.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=174844

go get the bird wrote:Every time you post, Jesus lets a pitbull live.
User avatar
13space82
hunter
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: West KY

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby Koondog » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:10 am

There are good and bad hunters everywhere. Unfortunately, out of state guys seem to get classified as bad hunters. I've had two instances where I believe we were targeted because we had out of state plates. Both occurred at the same WMA. First, we had a dog box stolen from the back of the truck. We tried to blame it on the meth heads looking for some pawn shop booty. The second time the truck was keyed. I seriously doubt a meth head would travel to a ramp to key a vehicle. It makes you madder than a hornet and willing to set a trap and poke the perp's eye out with a .45. I strive to live my life by treating others with the respect that I would expect to receive. I truly believe there are more good hunters than bad out there, but unfortunately the bad ones end up ultimately ruining it for everyone with all the stupid stuff they do.
Ted K
Koondog
hunter
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:32 pm
Location: Flyover states, USA

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby greenster » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:51 pm

jdr wrote:Good story, but my experience the past month with out of staters has been horrible. They want to roll in at 6:15 with their mud motors taking their sweet ass time. This happened twice this past weekend at Rainey Brake. Another weekend, we had a group of georgia boys roll in and set right on top of us...and again with mud motors...




Must have been the same boy's that was down in my next of woods.. From GA, Mud motor, Came in at 6:00. their mojo was Setup 179yds away. (Range finders) We just sat quiet until around 8:30 and rolled out.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
User avatar
greenster
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4459
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: arkansas Green Timber

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby Koondog » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:49 am

greenster wrote:
jdr wrote:Good story, but my experience the past month with out of staters has been horrible. They want to roll in at 6:15 with their mud motors taking their sweet ass time. This happened twice this past weekend at Rainey Brake. Another weekend, we had a group of georgia boys roll in and set right on top of us...and again with mud motors...




Must have been the same boy's that was down in my next of woods.. From GA, Mud motor, Came in at 6:00. their mojo was Setup 179yds away. (Range finders) We just sat quiet until around 8:30 and rolled out.



I feel your pain and have had similar experiences. We work and have limited time to hunt. Unfortunately, public lands are available to all good and bad hunters. We don't notice the good hunters because that's what we expects. The bad ones will pizz you off to no end.
Ted K
Koondog
hunter
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:32 pm
Location: Flyover states, USA

South Carolina Hunters

Postby Arkiewaterfowl » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:41 am

Generally, if you have a mud motor and are from out of state, your a total douche.
Arkiewaterfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:53 pm

South Carolina Hunters

Postby 13space82 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:58 am

What if you bought your mud motor from a guy Ark? Still make you a doucher?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TNAL45 wrote: Well done sir. I vote this best bitch slap in DHC history.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=174844

go get the bird wrote:Every time you post, Jesus lets a pitbull live.
User avatar
13space82
hunter
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: West KY

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby steve-o » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:24 pm

13space82 wrote:What if you bought your mud motor from a guy Ark? Still make you a doucher?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
User avatar
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4422
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby jeffstally » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Just out of curiosity, why does someone having a mud motor make everyone mad?
jeffstally
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby AaronR » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:07 pm

jeffstally wrote:Just out of curiosity, why does someone having a mud motor make everyone mad?


I have no idea...I have owned a mud motor and have buddies that use em. I just use my outboard to get to the area fast and keep other out. mud motors come in next and tote all our stuff to where we set up. works out quite nice
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby Edge » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Most of em are pretty good sports. I have a mud motor and an Edge 650 with an outboard, I also have a farm that we hunt, but I do hunt public as well,just depends on where I want to hunt. For someone to claim that out of state hunters with mud motors are douches is close minded at best.
User avatar
Edge
hunter
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:18 am

South Carolina Hunters

Postby Ztkirkpatric » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:00 pm

Had some SC guys walk in at daylight and setup within a hundred yards of us a weekend or two ago... They sky busted like no other if it was treetop high it was getting shot at.. They ruined the few birds we got to work that day... I don't miss out on sleep and spend the money to go hunt to deal with that bull crap... They just so happened to be from SC and that's my first impression of SC guys I've had this season... That's why oosers get their bad rep.
Ztkirkpatric
hunter
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:41 am

Re: South Carolina Hunters

Postby Edge » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:27 am

We shot our limit one morning with a few guys in the area, don't know how close, but they were not shooting much. The next day, five guys walked inot our hole, one guy was clearly a guide saying he had three rookies and wanted to hunt with us, we told them we did not have room for 8 guns let alone three rookies, so the went abou 60 yds down wind of us a cut every duck we had working, and the guide wound up letting them have it for shooting cripples while his dog was in the water, talk about idiots........

we had to wait for them to leave and wound up only killing about six for the day. Now these boys were not from SC and most of the boys I hunt with are from Arkansas, so I know this is not common behavior. Every state has their share of idiots and people who just have no respect for anyone else, there are plenty of them to go around.
User avatar
Edge
hunter
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:18 am

Next

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests