WMA scouting

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

WMA scouting

Postby roadman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:25 pm

Question? Can you scout a wma that closes at 1? Can't find any info on this
roadman
hunter

Re: WMA scouting

Postby Slash LaReux » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:46 pm

No, not after 1:00 but your good to go from 4:30 am until 12:00 pm and you can even take tour gun...... You might want to go to the Arkansas Game and Fish website for mor info
Slash LaReux
hunter

WMA scouting

Postby steve-o » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:54 pm

This weekend we finished our hunt early and went scouting the rest of the morning. Worked out just fine.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AaronR » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:34 am

I have heard of people getting tickets for scouting after 2pm on Federal lands but not sure on WMA. But as mentioned above, the best scouting will be done in the monring time. You will see where the ducks are getting away from other hunters that day and you can be the one set up on them the following morning.
AaronR
hunter

Postby jdr » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:32 pm

I always thought I could still hunt the WMA just not for ducks, i.e. squirrels....
jdr
hunter

Postby AaronR » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:06 pm

jdr wrote:I always thought I could still hunt the WMA just not for ducks, i.e. squirrels....

yes you are correct I believe. just cant do anything duck related.
AaronR
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:34 am

This is a good question.
I thought there were no boats allowed from 1pm to 4am at almost all WMA's.
I usually will hunt until 9 or 10am and then scout for a couple hours.
Get back to the boat launch by 1pm. It works for me.
I find where the ducks are landing and then take note.

I'm going to a WMA to scout this week in fact. If nobody is killing any ducks or I don't see any I'll head further south to another and scout it.

There's always next season and having some good timber-holes pre-located is always good. I really like exploring/scouting the WMA's. They're huge.
I kinda doubt there are many ducks around where I'm going but ya never know, I may get lucky. :wink:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby lucas22 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:37 pm

for many people it is find were you hear the most shooting....... i have been walked in on now 6 or 7 times after having good shoots, and once lost my spot ,having not gotten there early enough.. oh well public hunting i guess. but if you want the easy way and unsportsman way of scouting there is one. but if your into the "adventure" of duck hunting, finding were people aint and were the ducks go after being shot at, you WILL limit out. there is a trick that most duck hunters will just throw away but throw out maybe a few decoys wen u find were they want to be maybe a mojo and do not really call just let them come in cause ur were they want to be already and if they see the decoys they will not circle but once or twice, so get ready to shoot.
Cut'em boys!
lucas22
Newb

Postby AaronR » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:16 am

lucas22 wrote:for many people it is find were you hear the most shooting....... i have been walked in on now 6 or 7 times after having good shoots, and once lost my spot ,having not gotten there early enough.. oh well public hunting i guess. but if you want the easy way and unsportsman way of scouting there is one. but if your into the "adventure" of duck hunting, finding were people aint and were the ducks go after being shot at, you WILL limit out. there is a trick that most duck hunters will just throw away but throw out maybe a few decoys wen u find were they want to be maybe a mojo and do not really call just let them come in cause ur were they want to be already and if they see the decoys they will not circle but once or twice, so get ready to shoot.

We see this a lot where I hunt. Yesterday we shot a good bit and killed our 3 man limit. As soon as we broke the tree line to the creek headed out with our limit, there was a group sitting there waiting to see exactly where we came out. Not to mention the group that walked in and we could hear every word they were saying; "Are we almost to them? No lets get closer and set up so we can try to call them off of em" Cant stand that mess but thats the joys of Public Hunting.
AaronR
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting