Re-open Weather

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Re-open Weather

Postby greenster » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:16 pm

Seem's it's going to be extremely ducky weather for the 26th opener. Maybe those blizzard condition's will finally push some birds down here to SE part of the state. DEC 25th and I haven't fired a shot at a duck.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Re-open Weather

Postby steve-o » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:29 pm

greenster wrote:Seem's it's going to be extremely ducky weather for the 26th opener. Maybe those blizzard condition's will finally push some birds down here to SE part of the state. DEC 25th and I haven't fired a shot at a duck.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get a chance soon.

I'm looking out the window wishing I could go tomorrow, but I will be heading in to work. I won't get to go again until this weekend.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:43 pm

My truck is loaded and I'm excited about tomorrow morning. We're going hit our Roost Hole, going to be awesome with lots of bands. :biggrin: But my time is getting short, I have to go to work next monday for 2 weeks. We've had a pretty good snow storm over here in Russellville.
Last edited by AR Dave on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby AaronR » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:42 am

Unfortunatley Im stuck at work today and tomorrow as well. Any good reports from today???
AaronR
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Man we got SKUNKED in our guaranteed limit hole. All week, including yesterday, there have been hundreds hanging around our blind. The snow storm changed things. No Ducks Flying at all around the Petit Jean Area - reports from all our hunting buddies. We did find a lot of ducks held up at Hollabend WMA, on the open water. Now what? Gonna scout this afternoon - afraid they'll keep going south.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby AaronR » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:21 pm

Well getting skunked is no good but I have to say bring em on South! I will be out there waiting on em friday morning!
AaronR
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Skunked again. Did get a shot off at mallard hen in the Gail force wind. ... Afterwards stopped by one of my old trusty timber holes to check on water level's... This is what I found.

"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AaronR » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Looks ducky! did you see much in there??
AaronR
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:14 pm

Lot's of evidence floating around.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Love places like that... Well I found two dozen mallards sitting on our rice pond, these must be new - left them for maybe Friday. We have a pump, on timer, to keep ice free. Then went back to where all our Gadwalls have been. Lot of Gadwalls & Woodies, stacked up in these ice free sloughs. Going to wait until afternoon to hunt tomorrow. Let it warm up and ice thaw.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:28 am

greenster wrote:Lot's of evidence floating around.

always a good sign! I hope to find some evidence for myself this evening!
AaronR
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:39 pm

My place is locked down like a chastity belt. Had to resort to dove hunting.

Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby greenster » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Well... hole was LOADED with woodies. not very many mallards flying around.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gomersnerd » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:09 pm

wish mine looked that good
gomersnerd
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Three of us got 6 Gadwall this afternoon. At about 2 pm, we scared them out of a hole that wasn't iced over, then waited for them to come back a few at a time. We almost hunted doves yesterday also - lot of doves out there.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby greenster » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:56 pm

some new birds showed up this morning..Best day thus far. Put a couple groups of 15+ birds in the decoys. And a few of about 10. Every group of mallards I seen worked VERY well.. about 90% committed. Odd thing... They where mostly hen's. It was a struggle to find some groups with Drakes to finish out limit. Any-one else notice this?

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby steve-o » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:12 pm

nice strap greenster. I will find out in the morning if there is a hen problem.

steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby greenster » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:07 pm

Any-one do any good this weekend?

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Re-open Weather

Postby steve-o » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:19 pm

I had good intentions of going by myself for the first time. Alarm went off and I decided to sleep for five more hours.

steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:22 pm

greenster wrote:Any-one do any good this weekend?

Has been terrible. We hit em hard yesterday in the afternoon, but other than that, I haven't been able to buy a duck since Christmas.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby AR Dave » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:24 pm

Four limits on Gadwalls yesterday - went back today and it was so iced up bigtime, ducks looked first thing then left for good. Have to go to work for 2 weeks - a real inconvienence.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:02 pm

was A nice Strap of GAD's ARdave.

I have to go into work WED to get my vacation for 2013.. Then I'll be off again. :D

Been thinking getting some folks into the timber this year. Everyone I hunt with now day's either Cant call, or new and don't know what's going on. Cought a guy walknig through woods other day.. Invited him to a tree.. It was nice not calling or pulling on a string by myself.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AaronR » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:47 am

Not much luck for us this past weekend. Saw a lot of birds but nothing with intentions of coming into shooting range. Thinking about going a little farther north the next few weekends.
AaronR
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting