What's going on?

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

What's going on?

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:01 pm

Are any of you guys across the state noticing the same thing I am? Out of the couple thousand acres I scouted for dove today only 3 fields have been harvested. Normally by this time most of the corn is out and they're starting on the soybeans.

Anyone have an idea why they haven't started?
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Pluckyduck » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:49 pm

I don't get to shot doves since I went broke. I see a few flying around the house.

Maybe the recent rain has got something to do with it? I know its hard to harvest when its constantly raining and nobody takes the chance when its looking like its going to rain.
Pluckyduck
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby greenster » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:09 pm

I know that it has been pretty dry this summer, without much water take corn longer to develope. my grandfather has a garden but the corn was harvested about 4 weeks ago. rain is also something. combines and wet fields dont do too good.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:41 pm

I went out and looked around a little more today before work and noticed that some corn fields were cut a month ago or more. There are already weeds 4 feet tall in the fields.

On a good point I did find a field that had quite a few dove in it yesterday. I'm just afraid that this cold front has pushed them out.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:18 am

COLD front? geez i knew I was on wrong side of the state still 95 or better here every day
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:00 am

greenster, yesterday's high was 77 and a low of 61 last night. This is killing me. I need to shoot something right now!
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:18 pm

Yea i didnt notice but it was like low 80's here, so i went and shot me a few crows to pass the day

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:50 pm

I need to get out and do some crow hunting. Got any tips?
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:56 am

well..... Crow call and some black trash bag deeks :toofunny: all you really need.. I made my deeks fairly large about 3/4 of a 50gal trash bag. I used a Featherflex turkey deeks for my outline. got some 1/2" sticks and used them to hold the deeks up. really eesy there STUPID.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting