Bayou Meto Boat Races are gonna end...

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

Bayou Meto Boat Races are gonna end...

Postby sigpi906 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:37 pm

So what's this going to mean? I mean, Is it going to have an impact? I guess some of us more squeemish boaters might be more willing to get out there in the wee hours of the morning....
I was told people wouldn't take me seriously without a signature.
sigpi906
hunter

Re: Bayou Meto Boat Races are gonna end...

Postby greenster » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:41 pm

What are you talking about? how about a link?
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Slash LaReux » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:12 pm

Ahh the Bayou Meto boat races..........make me drift back to the good ol days. Robin and the his band of fools from the Palmeto state, complete with double decker trailers, and egos. To Kirk and his hot mess from down 'round Pinebluff. God it was GREAT watching their respective bitch boys (you know the two funkiest paid to go out early race to the hole throw out decoy bags one stays while the other goes back to help transport the Johns out to hunt) race out passing others at the spillway. Even better was when the lone hunter while racing back would encounter another slower boat riding low their boat nose up unable to plane from lack of weight in the bow nearly run up into the slower vessel. Uh oh yeh what are you talking about?
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby Ztkirkpatric » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:55 pm

Green, there was an article in the paper a couple days ago... Basically the races will end one way or another, I think they are going to saturate the place with game wardens and try to weed out some of the bad apples.
Ztkirkpatric
hunter

Postby Ztkirkpatric » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:55 pm

If that doesn't work more drastic measures will be implimented
Ztkirkpatric
hunter

Postby greenster » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Well there are only 3 real way's to.

1. Remove the 4:00am Rule

2. Lower motor restriction to a 9.9 or Ban outboards all together.

3. Have a boat launch Draw

But I fear what they will try to do is enforce law's and give tickets to line their pocket books.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Slash LaReux » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:07 pm

They need to saturate the area and yes enforce the laws isn't that the point of having them. I want tickets written. I and many others spend quite a bit collectively for the chance to hunt and fish. Part of that money not to mention the 1/8 cent sales tax goes to enforcement. I want wardens out of their truck, counting shells checking for unsigned stamps, hell it would be nice to run into them in the woods again. The last time I checked the wildlife of our state still belong to the citizens of this state, and the money from fines still return to those same citizens so yes "line my pockets".
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby steve-o » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:15 am

I have never experienced the BM boat race, but I have at Hurricane. If they are going to change BM they need to do it at Hurricane as well. I said I would never go back there. It was scary.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:37 pm

steve-o wrote:I have never experienced the BM boat race, but I have at Hurricane. If they are going to change BM they need to do it at Hurricane as well. I said I would never go back there. It was scary.

Nothing quite like running up that creek next to a champion with a 225, is there? That's a death race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby steve-o » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:10 pm

cannon wrote:
steve-o wrote:I have never experienced the BM boat race, but I have at Hurricane. If they are going to change BM they need to do it at Hurricane as well. I said I would never go back there. It was scary.

Nothing quite like running up that creek next to a champion with a 225, is there? That's a death race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we were most definitely the minority with at 25 hp hanging on the back. They race to get back to ramp too. I just don't get it.

One of my buddies beached his boat on the way out one morning. He was running faster than normal just to try to keep from getting run over. We came around a curve into the ditch and saw a boat up on the bank. We started laughing and said, see these dumb aces need to slow down. We just kept going at our slow pace. Got back to the ramp and didn't see our buddy. A few minutes later he pulls up asking why we didn't stop and help him. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: Didn't know it was him.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cut'm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Not being an AR resident, I've never done the boat race. I did however hunt with a buddy last year and we walked into the Government track. I was clueless, but he knew the gig. He said we will just walk....a mile later we r in our hole, nobody else around. 33k acres...why do guys race?
Cut'm
hunter

Postby AaronR » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:23 am

Cut'm wrote:33k acres...why do guys race?

Because my 25hp suzuki is faster than your 25hp Tohatsu!
AaronR
hunter

Postby Ztkirkpatric » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Cut'm wrote:Not being an AR resident, I've never done the boat race. I did however hunt with a buddy last year and we walked into the Government track. I was clueless, but he knew the gig. He said we will just walk....a mile later we r in our hole, nobody else around. 33k acres...why do guys race?

The WMA may cover 33k acres but only maybe 16k of it floods and holds water, big chuck of that is buckingham and temple. (Seperate pieces to north and south). There is a section that covers a couple thousand acres that is normally pretty hot.... That's where everyone races too.

I hope enforcement fixes the problems, you can call it lining their pockets but there's no reason to put new laws on the books if your going to throw a fit when the enforce current laws... I wish they'd look at motors too.
Ztkirkpatric
hunter

Postby rntmvp6 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:24 am

I have never been there so dont know the layout. In Missouri everything CA seems to be no wake laws. May be to far to idle so i dont know. I have watched the races on youtube. Looks like fun to me if you are the guy with the faster boat. :lol: :lol:
How many accidents have occurred during the races?
rntmvp6
hunter

Postby sigpi906 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:34 pm

I bet they go with something like a 9.9 and No Wake...
I was told people wouldn't take me seriously without a signature.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:59 pm

rntmvp6 wrote:I have never been there so dont know the layout. In Missouri everything CA seems to be no wake laws. May be to far to idle so i dont know. I have watched the races on youtube. Looks like fun to me if you are the guy with the faster boat. :lol: :lol:
How many accidents have occurred during the races?

More than ever will be reported. When you're racing and wrap your boat around a tree, if you survive, you unwrap the thing and go home quietly. It's kind if embarrassing. The last thing you want to do is call the GW'S and add insult to injury . . . and risk getting a ticket over the recklessness in the process.

I gave one boat to the Cache back in the day. Sinking in a river in January is NOT a good time. It's funny now, but definitely wasn't at the time.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Ztkirkpatric » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:46 pm

I've watched 6 boats this season sink in bayou meto.... Havnt seen any smack a tree at high spends but know of several that did. Know of some folks thrown from boat... More than once this season I was told "were waiting on the rest of the guys they got thrown out"....

I'd just go home.
Ztkirkpatric
hunter

Postby grassduck » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:09 pm

Ztkirkpatric wrote:
Cut'm wrote:Not being an AR resident, I've never done the boat race. I did however hunt with a buddy last year and we walked into the Government track. I was clueless, but he knew the gig. He said we will just walk....a mile later we r in our hole, nobody else around. 33k acres...why do guys race?

The WMA may cover 33k acres but only maybe 16k of it floods and holds water, big chuck of that is buckingham and temple. (Seperate pieces to north and south). There is a section that covers a couple thousand acres that is normally pretty hot.... That's where everyone races too.

I hope enforcement fixes the problems, you can call it lining their pockets but there's no reason to put new laws on the books if your going to throw a fit when the enforce current laws... I wish they'd look at motors too.

GW told me when I was down there last they are going to start popping covers.
grassduck
hunter

Postby Ztkirkpatric » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 pm

They need to
Ztkirkpatric
hunter

Postby Slash LaReux » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Then I guess alumacrafts 10ft. long 36" wide powered by 9.9 with a carb off a 15 hp will become the boat we will be discussing next year. If that's to fast we could upgrade to a 14 footer..... Guess it would suck to be a new owner of a mud boat unit I'm not sure if a 9hp Briggs and Stratton would fit the bill. Wait a minute maybe a pirogue with leaf blower and uh gosh the possibilities are endless.
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby gomersnerd » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:09 pm

I read that there is not a log anywhere of 25 mega Tohatsu outboards. Take the serial number and you won't find it anywhere.
gomersnerd
hunter

Postby gomersnerd » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:09 pm

I read that there is not a log anywhere of 25 mega Tohatsu outboards. Take the serial number and you won't find it anywhere.
gomersnerd
hunter

Postby Quack head 87 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:36 pm

This whole stopping the infamous boat race talk is all a little confusing to me. I am in line at 330 about 30ish mornings a season and rarely see any mishaps due to the 4 am starting time it's self, now I have seen some problems but mostly due to inexperience and ignorance. If you are not competent, confident, and comfortable driving a boat down a ditch at night with 20 other guys on your tail then WAIT TIL 4:05 TO LEAVE!!!!! I've never understood why a man that knows his boat will only run mid 20's thinks he can really get in the middle of 15 suzukis, 4 megas, and 9 Yamahas all running 37+, it's a little troubling to think why people can't understand you are putting yourself in harms way. The next problem is people that think they can drive to Arkansas, put in at lower at 3 and be in the first few boats, run the world famous boat race an then kill limits without ever stepping foot in the scatters. The next problem is this cry baby generation of duck hunters who think everybody should kill the same amount of ducks, just like our president thinks everyone should be entitled to something! Well guess what, with the current rules everyone has the same opportunity to hunt anywhere in the whole place, if you didn't do your homework or have never stepped foot in bayou meto you might as well play the lottery!!!!! Point is quit crying about people with fast 25 hp boat motors that do this God awful thing at 4 am 60 mornings a year and either lease some private ground, leave at 4:05, or find some other wma that you have never been to but think you are entitled to kill some of the ducks there!!!!!
Quack head 87
Newb

Postby AaronR » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Quack head 87 wrote:either lease some private ground, leave at 4:05, or find some other wma that you have never been to but think you are entitled to kill some of the ducks there!!!!!

This is golden! Couldn't have said it better myself!
AaronR
hunter

Postby Slash LaReux » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 pm

I just wish the guys pulling boats down would drive as fast from Cox Cyprus to the lower as they claim to drive their boats in the boat row from the cable to Brushey. Wait a minute maybe next season someone will put a go pro on their truck and video themselves chasing down guys pulling boat trailers and passing them just as the side boards fall off the trailer and post it on You Tube. Now that would take the present level of douchebaggery to a new level. I mean why should the Bayou Meto races be limited to just boats.... But hey if someone is serious about slowing things down put in some speed bumps, all that's needed is a couple of light poles set to float across the boat row well marked of course. Put a couple before the spillway and a couple after, I mean good Lord if you can't make it over a "floating log" maybe you should wait until 7:00 to leave the ramp. Or hire a guide?
Slash LaReux
hunter

Next

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting