Bayou Meto Boat Races are gonna end...

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

Re: Bayou Meto Boat Races are gonna end...

Postby Ga Woodrow » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:16 am

Sneak preview of the new BM model for 2013
Attachments
BM Boat.gif
BM Boat.gif (28.99 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
Ga Woodrow
hunter

Postby sigpi906 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:45 am

:lol:
I was told people wouldn't take me seriously without a signature.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby Edge » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:15 am

That's right. I just don't go. To many other good places to hunt without being bothered by idiots.
Edge
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:22 am

Edge wrote:That's right. I just don't go. To many other good places to hunt without being bothered by idiots.

TOO many Better places to go...
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Arkiewaterfowl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:34 pm

The boat races will not stop.. There just won't be a race down the main ditch. But when you hit brushy, double ditches, little bayou meto, 5 forks, etc, its on. I was in a boat during season at the front of the race, the GW's tried to stop us but we hammered on and didn't bother. No, we weren't being outlaws, but when there's 30+ boats behind running wide open, I'm not stopping. They can lower the HP limit to 9.9, but people will still be racing with littler boats. The only way to remove racing all together would be to remove the 4 a.m. rule.
Arkiewaterfowl
hunter

Postby Slash LaReux » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Arkiewaterfowl wrote:The boat races will not stop... The only way to remove racing all together would be to remove the 4 a.m. rule.

How will that help? If you are to let the ducks rest (by ending hunting at noon and having boats out of the woods by one) their must be a re-entry time. Before the the 4:00 a.m. time was instituted some would stay over night to hold a hole, professional hunters would pay for locals to do it for them. If safety is really your concern I contend abolishing the time won't achieve your goal. Of course asking those who insist that the only way for them to make it to their glory hole is to leave at 4: a.m. in a full sprint to use common sense and slow down is also a hopeless cause. I guess it's hard to use that which you don't possess.
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:53 am

Slash LaReux wrote:
Arkiewaterfowl wrote:The boat races will not stop... The only way to remove racing all together would be to remove the 4 a.m. rule.

How will that help? If you are to let the ducks rest (by ending hunting at noon and having boats out of the woods by one) their must be a re-entry time. Before the the 4:00 a.m. time was instituted some would stay over night to hold a hole, professional hunters would pay for locals to do it for them. If safety is really your concern I contend abolishing the time won't achieve your goal. Of course asking those who insist that the only way for them to make it to their glory hole is to leave at 4: a.m. in a full sprint to use common sense and slow down is also a hopeless cause. I guess it's hard to use that which you don't possess.

No, he's right. Abolishing the 4:00 a.m. rule WOULD stop the races. Those races didn't happen before the 4:00 a.m. rule, either at the Metro or on Hurricane. Of course, you also hit the nail on the head: no race means squatters. Face it, the only way to stop the problem would be to institute some rule limiting the number of people on the WMA and where they could hunt. Otherwise, it's a matter of competition, and by "competition," I mean races.

A few years ago, the rule was 5:00 a.m. on the Cache NWR. I loved it, because it meant I didn't have to get up so early to be in the spot I wanted to hunt. Of course, it also meant that getting there would require me to beat everyone else down the river, which was never a problem. Then they changed the launch time to 4:00 a.m., and I pretty much quit hunting the place.

It pisses people off, but I don't really care: I'd still advocate limiting the number of people allowed into a WMA, and I'd start by limiting the number of people whose residency was foreign to the state's land. And before someone starts giving me crap about how I don't want anyone shooting MY ducks, I'd also mention that I haven't hunted public land in 3 years. I hunt private ground. It just occurs to me that if over-crowding is the problem, limitations on hunting should start outside the state.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby AaronR » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:03 pm

I dont hunt Meto but do hunt other Ark public lands. The racing isnt just there it is everywhere. I saw a boat get towed back the ramp this year that had about a 5 foot long 10 inch tall gash down the side. They claimed someone ran them into a stump during the 4am race to their hole.

IMO, if they lift the 4am rule they should extend hunting hours until 2pm. In this case you would have 2 different groups of hunters. The squatters would show up at 2am or whenever and hold their spot, then the another wave of hunters would show up around 8 - 9am when the first wave is done.

My only objection with limiting hunters is that I live just across the state line in La. I think it would be unfair that people who live closer to some of the areas but just outside the state be punished. Its kind of one of those deals that no matter what you do there will be controversy.
AaronR
hunter

Postby Slash LaReux » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Ok I'll bite, we lift the 4:00 a.m. blast off time and I guess maintain the a.m. only hunting. Now that hunters never have to leave the woods except to retrieve 15 more shells how is the area going to "rest"? I guess this is what's best for the resource, burn it out fast and the boats will leave and we will all be safer for it. Or we could go with what Cannon eluded to designate holes with perminate blinds show up,draw for one, hope for the best. Of course one would need to look at the the covenant the original owner of Bayou Meto set forth ....that it be managed for the sportsmen of ARKANSAS. What really needs to be done is actually very simple. Have a warden at the ramp day one, release the early birds one at a time and space them out. If the guys in line get antsy have a warden check shells, life jackets, boater safety cards.
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby sigpi906 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:30 am

Slash, I actually really like your idea. I know it might not be reasonable to think the wardens have the time to do this day in and day out, but it's a good idea.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby Arkiewaterfowl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Slash LaReux wrote:

I'm not saying removing the 4 am rule would help ducks, I'm saying that's the only way to stop racing.

Let me say I am in favor of racing, I can be seen down there in like many times throughout the year.
Arkiewaterfowl
hunter

Postby Arkiewaterfowl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Slash LaReux wrote:Ok I'll bite, we lift the 4:00 a.m. blast off time and I guess maintain the a.m. only hunting. Now that hunters never have to leave the woods except to retrieve 15 more shells how is the area going to "rest"? I guess this is what's best for the resource, burn it out fast and the boats will leave and we will all be safer for it. Or we could go with what Cannon eluded to designate holes with perminate blinds show up,draw for one, hope for the best. Of course one would need to look at the the covenant the original owner of Bayou Meto set forth ....that it be managed for the sportsmen of ARKANSAS. What really needs to be done is actually very simple. Have a warden at the ramp day one, release the early birds one at a time and space them out. If the guys in line get antsy have a warden check shells, life jackets, boater safety cards.

One morning at lower game wardens showed up at 330. Walked over, pulled up his britches, (and in the most Andy Griffith way) said " boys, now here's what's gonna happen, y'all's gonna leave here at 4, first boats gonna be first to the cut. I don't care about wake, but this morning it's SINGLE FILE to the cut. Have a nice hunt "

Now there was no way he could enforce this, but he was very polite and sincere, so we all stayed single file to the cut. I had two Megas behind me that could easily blow my zuke away, but outta respect for the officers, we obeyed.

Not everyone in the race is an idiot. Most of the time, the 10 or so up front know who each other are, know who is faster and will shuffle according to speed to save the need for passing and make it safer.

If you don't like racing, and a lot of people don't and that's fine, wait till 4:03 to leave. I promise water will be calmed and every racer will be to the brushy cut.

Now on the time frame issue. I say leave the 4 am rule. No need for squatters, ain't nobody got time for that.

And I will agree with cannon, limiting the number of people will help, but I'm gonna be mad if I don't get in where I grew up hunting since I was 4 with my grandpa and raised in the little town of Stuttgart.
Arkiewaterfowl
hunter

Postby Slash LaReux » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:39 pm

One morning at lower game wardens showed up at 330. Walked over, pulled up his britches, (and in the most Andy Griffith way) said " boys, now here's what's gonna happen, y'all's gonna leave here at 4, first boats gonna be first to the cut. I don't care about wake, but this morning it's SINGLE FILE to the cut. Have a nice hunt "

See problem solved, 1 man, 1 hour a day for 60 days who knew it could be so easy FANTASTIC

Now there was no way he could enforce this, but he was very polite and sincere, so we all stayed single file to the cut. I had two Megas behind me that could easily blow my zuke away, but outta respect for the officers, we obeyed.

Responsible sportsmen following a reasonable request I would expect no less but for others who feel above the law noting hull numbers would help

Not everyone in the race is an idiot. Most of the time, the 10 or so up front know who each other are, know who is faster and will shuffle according to speed to save the need for passing and make it safer.

Nice to know that the cranial rectosis is limited to just 10

If you don't like racing, and a lot of people don't and that's fine, wait till 4:03 to leave. I promise water will be calmed and every racer will be to the brushy cut.

Your right

Now on the time frame issue. I say leave the 4 am rule. No need for squatters, ain't nobody got time for that.

Right again

And I will agree with cannon, limiting the number of people will help, but I'm gonna be mad if I don't get in where I grew up hunting since I was 4 with my grandpa and raised in the little town of Stuttgart.

So I guess 10 idiots might control where when and if WE hunt where WE want to I don't think so.......
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby steve-o » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:42 pm

I think the time should be changed from 4 to about 5:30 or 6.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Slash LaReux » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:43 pm

steve-o wrote:I think the time should be changed from 4 to about 5:30 or 6.

Now that would be fun to watch i'll vote for it. And hey an added bonus would be they could see how to properly park and the roads might stay clear. Yeh I really like 6:00!!!!
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby Arkiewaterfowl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:55 pm

Slash LaReux wrote:
steve-o wrote:I think the time should be changed from 4 to about 5:30 or 6.

Now that would be fun to watch i'll vote for it. And hey an added bonus would be they could see how to properly park and the roads might stay clear. Yeh I really like 6:00!!!!

You seem pretty judgmental, in fact I bet you're the on stuck in the turn around ditch and leave your trailer halfway in the road.
Arkiewaterfowl
hunter

Postby steve-o » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:56 pm

I was referring to sleeping a little longer and not having to sit in the dark and water for 2+ hours. :fingerhead:
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Slash LaReux » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:34 pm

You seem pretty judgmental, in fact I bet you're the on stuck in the turn around ditch and leave your trailer halfway in the road.[/quote]

Wow harsh words and here I've always thought of myself as highly opinionated and strong willed. I don't know if I have ever been judged,oops, labeled judgmental before. Not quite sure how I should react. What I do know is that Arkiewaterfowl, you Sir, are on to me. I am in fact the one who parks in that very turn around ditch. Guilty as charged and unless you show me who is boss I will continue to park that way. Will you help me, maybe the next time you see me parked that way you could break out all the windows on my vehicle that would teach me I'm sure of it. But I will not make it easy for you for I will be constantly changing vehicles.
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby B.Hud » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:20 pm

Slash LaReux wrote:You seem pretty judgmental, in fact I bet you're the on stuck in the turn around ditch and leave your trailer halfway in the road.

Wow harsh words and here I've always thought of myself as highly opinionated and strong willed. I don't know if I have ever been judged,oops, labeled judgmental before. Not quite sure how I should react. What I do know is that Arkiewaterfowl, you Sir, are on to me. I am in fact the one who parks in that very turn around ditch. Guilty as charged and unless you show me who is boss I will continue to park that way. Will you help me, maybe the next time you see me parked that way you could break out all the windows on my vehicle that would teach me I'm sure of it. But I will not make it easy for you for I will be constantly changing vehicles.[/quote]
:yes: :yes: :yes:
Shouldbeaguide wrote: We rolled donuts all weekend on green tops and specks. Make sure your facts are strait
B.Hud
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:38 pm

ah i waited for this type of post. i went last year and witnessed what i thought was gonna be a great memory in my life. well with that said, punches thrown and the "local" left scratching his head. DONT EVER threaten me or my child with a shotgun. the rest of the trip was amazing. great people and birds. other than a boxer break to my right paw, we are going back :thumbsup:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby sigpi906 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:07 pm

That's sad to hear Recoil... I hate that some idiot ruined a morning for you. It's hard for me to believe people are that stupid. I understand people get a little anxious in the morning, but I'll never understand the violence. I've had some good experiences in BM and I've met some jerks but nothing violent like that.

I know people want to protect their holes, but the level of snobbery and tight-lippedness (is that a word) that people around BM routinely show is weird. I mean, duck hunting is a social sport... a lot of guys in the parking lots in the morning won't even utter a reply when you ask how they're doing.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:49 pm

In 2009 I went and camped at the LV. Right there wbere the road y's. Just after Christmas. Stayed the whole week. On weekdays it was no big deal but weekends were kinda wild. The race isnt crazy til it gets off in the woods. I kinda kept outa the way. Killed my ducks n had fun. Not sure about the govt cypress but heard lotsa shooting over that way. I thought thats where everyone was racing to. Thats where all the boats were parked when I scouted. At that foot bridge.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Slash LaReux » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Sounds like you were at where You turn off to get to Beaver Dam and you are right it Is fun to camp down there. We usually camp around the end of Jan. but we like to get in at the camping side of the lower. One thing is for sure no alarm clock is needed!!!!
Slash LaReux
hunter

Previous

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting