Goose decoys?

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Goose decoys?

Postby Trent_Rivers » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:49 pm

I just went to the pawn shop and was able to pick up a bag of dekes for pretty cheap and the bag had 5 G&H canadian goose decoys. So my question is... should I paint them white to resemble snow geese or leave them as canada's. I typically only see snows when im hunting and i plan to use them as a confidence decoy rather than attempting to decoy geese.
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Re: Goose decoys?

Postby AaronR » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:17 am

We found some Full Body Canadas at a garge sale cheap one time, think they were used as yard ornaments. It was pretty easy to paint them like Specs.
AaronR
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:47 am

We have been using Canadian Decoys as part of our spread. It seems to work real well. Put the Canadians away from Blind, to draw there attention away. I sat yesterday and watched a dozen Canadians and about that many Mallards hanging out together. Is it ethical to slip down through the woods and pop them on the water? Might have to keep an eye on em...
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:05 am

If you are capable of sneaking up on any waterfowl within range I see that being no less ethical than stalking any other animal. :grooving:
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:31 am

Well they're doing a lot of squawking these days, so I slipped down there to see about it and check out why the ducks are landing in this certain hole. Right through a Pine Forrest, with Bamboo on edge of water. The last 10 yds, I just waited till they started their little squawking fuss, so I didn't scare the mallards and some gadwall closer too me. The mallards were getting up on logs and taking mid-morning naps. Geese were swimming around in pairs. I just sat there trying to spot a band.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:37 pm

I just like being able to watch duck in there natural ways. I was out scouting and came across about a hundred or so birds swimming around and I could hear them doing their feeding and even watched them call at a group of ducks that came in. Beautiful. That is an interesting spot for ducks to be in though.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting