Out of state hunters at Bayou today!

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Re: Out of state hunters at Bayou today!

Postby Edge » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Slow down. You haven't burnt any bridges yet. But what's with the menue? I only ask because a lot of guys over here have to tell everyone what make and model boat they have, and how many ducks they kill like it matters. I just don't get it. I think some folks forget that this is a tradition, and it is supposed to be fun, something to be passed down. Some guys want to treat it like a sport and make it a competition. Like Cannon said, it's not about the numbers, it's the experiance that counts. Watch the sun rise. It don't get no purtier than that. :wink:
Edge
hunter

Postby steve-o » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:50 pm

greenster wrote:Thanks EDGE!...

A public hunter should...

1. DO HIS/HER OWN WORK! Not impede on other people, or go shot chasing.
2. Keep his/her Favorite spots close to the chest
3. Be courteous 99.7% of the time.
4. Not give area specific detail's out online.

There is a reason why only 3-4 people here know where I hunt, There is only 1 other person who knows SPECIFICALLY the areas I like to hunt and the secrets to getting there. For those Who DO know where I hunt (Local people) I never share details about day-to-day hunts until season is over. The best places are the one's others can not figure out how to get to, or can not get to easy. Public land Key # 7 is getting away.

Make that 4-5 people :wink: :biggrin:

Hey AB. Pretty please, with sugar on top, re-read and follow # 4.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby greenster » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:16 pm

steve-o wrote:
Hey AB. Pretty please, with sugar on top, re-read and follow # 4.

You was counted in.. I never forget.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Out of state hunters at Bayou today!

Postby romeocadet08 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:48 am

As a OOS hunter, I understand that I am a "guest" in someone else's stomping grounds and I am completely fine with that. Ive been making the haul out to the Natural state for over 10 years now ...hunting private and public grounds. Over the last 5 seasons I've spent an average of 40+ days out there each season. The hunting dictates whether its on public or private but it's normally half and half.

Every year ..I have more and more people from home ask me for "help because they are going out to AR for the first time and need some advice"...99 times out of 100 that equates to "hey man, where exactly can I go to kill ducks"..I'll answer simple and general questions but it normally doesn't take long until it turns into a "show me on the map" deal or wanting coordinates/etc....people just don't realize that you don't ask others that!!!..it's sacred information!!!.duck hunting is like baseball...there are so many "unwritten rules" that its not even funny..if a book was to be written on all the unwritten rules it'd be wayyyy longer than the book of written rules.. ;)

The amount of time, effort, money, gas, resources, research, blood, sweat, tears, successes/failures that we have invested into all of our trips over the years is priceless and its protected in the same regards as you protect your family/siblings. When I was 16 a good friend of mine that is considerably older than me took me to AR for the first time to hunt green timber on the White river. I'll never forget what he told me before, during and after the trip before we got home..."loose lips sink ships" ..no truer words can be said about public land hunting!! To me, the "homework" side of the equation is one of the best parts of the equation...there's nothing more satisfying than looking at water levels/weather conditions/ timing conditions and making the call to go somewhere on public and have a successful hunt...that's way more gratifying to me than walking to a pit 20min before legal and shooting your 4 greenheads and 2 pintails and out of the field 30minutes after legal..

I've had some great experiences and some not-so-great experiences with residents out there on public land. The number of good experiences far more exceed the number of bad experiences....Out of the dozen or so bad experiences only 4-5 have been with AR residents. The other half dozen bad experiences have involved other OOS hunters. I've formed more than several friendships with some of the AR residents that have lasted for years and years. In fact, it's some of those very guys that will call me and let me know that I need to head West with the mutt and gun ASAP!!

That being said, it is what you make it!!! I know that OOS hunters, especially SC, are one of the very least-liked crowd in AR because of the actions/attitudes/lack of morals, ethics, and sportsmanship that some from SC have chosen to show while out there. In my years of venturing out to hunt the great state of AR I have always strived towards one thing and one thing only...and it's not to kill birds, but to respect what y'all have to offer and the resource that y'all are blessed with. And in every way possible...not just the hunting opportunities but everything from the people, culture, and heritage of AR.

T-minus 61 days!!! Can't wait...
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:32 pm

It took me twenty years of bumbling on my own to get halfway decent at killing ducks.
Why? Because I was on totally my own and every duckhunter was guarded.. I learned it all by trial and error.
Made tons of silly mistakes and had some incredibly dificult times. Adventures that went sour.
I only wish someone like me had taught me right.

Having said that...why would I deny a young man the benefit of my knowledge and skill? All he has to do is help an old man go hunting. I am getting old.

Part of this lifestyle, sport, whatever is passing it on.
We are always going to disagree on this issue. I feel a very strong need to help others to not be as miserable as I was them first 20 years.

Please forgive me.
I did break rule #4 by sending a whole lot of people to blind 16 at the Fish Hook.
Thats in Illinois. :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:50 pm

Right on romeocadet08 :thumbsup: If you ever need a place to hunt Let me know, always two extra seats..well spots on the floor of the boat available. 30-40 min boat ride, then a short hike and a little flooded timber walk.

AB: Utilize the PM system when dealing with specifics.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby romeocadet08 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:26 pm

aunt betty wrote:....and every duckhunter was guarded.. I learned it all by trial and error.
Made tons of silly mistakes and had some incredibly dificult times. Adventures that went sour.

I feel your pain on this one. I've been gracious enough to have several "seasoned veterans" take me in under their wing over the years and really help me. They wouldn't necessarily give me specifics but they would/have/still do steer me in the right direction. Most duck hunters are very guarded because they've been "burned" a time or two in the past. I was burned by a mutual friend of a good friend. My buddy called me ..who I've been friends with for 20years and have spent many cold nights in the bottom of a boat with waiting for legal...and said he had a good friend that he could vouch for. I made a deal with my buddy for me and his friend to go eat lunch and talk. We met and after about a hour we got down into the details. The fellow turned out to be a damn nice guy from what I could tell. I knew some of his family and friends and I felt comfortable doing what I was doing. He assured and reassured me that it would go no further than him but we all know how that ended...

Long story short...I gave him some very specific info on another state that I frequent a lot and it's now "overrun" with SC hunters. The 8 times I've been to this specific place in the state Ive never seen another SC tag. That's not the case anymore...we actually shared a hotel with another group that lived 1hr away from me that was from the exact same town as the mutual friend. I fully understood and assumed the risk as soon as I took it upon myself to help this guy and his son. I have no one to blame and I ultimately cut my own throat. I don't fault the guy at all. That being said.... I WILL NOT take that risk again, EVER ...I damn sure wont ask anyone where they kill ducks and I expect the same in return. It's me and 2 other trusted buddies and that's that.

I also share the same sentiments about "passing it on" ....that's a tough pill to swallow when it comes to specifics of location/tips/etc. i know that you are aware but just know that what you've worked so hard for in the last 20years to gain is put in the crosshairs of being raped, pillaged, and plundered. Word of a good duck hole in green timber on public land in AR travels faster than wildfire in SC...I don't know how if its the same in your neck of the woods but its insane around here...

Hopefully I'll have a few kids to pass it on to one day but until then...only thing getting passed around will be shells and turns calling the shot. Good luck to you this season!!

greenster wrote:Right on romeocadet08 :thumbsup: If you ever need a place to hunt Let me know, always two extra seats..well spots on the floor of the boat available. 30-40 min boat ride, then a short hike and a little flooded timber walk.

AB: Utilize the PM system when dealing with specifics.

May take you up on that offer!! ;)
I have a camp in Harrisburg and that's where I usually am most of the time but i have several friends throughout NE AR in Pocahontas, Newport, Clarendon, and DVB that'll ill crash with from time to time if I'm around. I usually don't venture to far south of i40 unless its to hunt the AR river...I need to pickup a contact down there..hahaha ;)
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby Edge » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:01 pm

aunt betty wrote:It took me twenty years of bumbling on my own to get halfway decent at killing ducks.
Why? Because I was on totally my own and every duckhunter was guarded.. I learned it all by trial and error.

Having said that...why would I deny a young man the benefit of my knowledge and skill? All he has to do is help an old man go hunting. I am getting old.

We are always going to disagree on this issue. I feel a very strong need to help others to not be as miserable as I was them first 20 years.

Please forgive me.
I did break rule #4 by sending a whole lot of people to blind 16 at the Fish Hook.

You just burnt the bridge. Teach them how to hunt, and you won't have to teach them where to hunt. I would never help anyone with that attitude.
Edge
hunter

Postby romeocadet08 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Edge wrote:
aunt betty wrote:It took me twenty years of bumbling on my own to get halfway decent at killing ducks.

Please forgive me.

Teach them how to hunt, and you won't have to teach them where to hunt.

Hands down, the best advice given in this thread!!
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:10 pm

Sorry but hunters in the delta cant comprehend living somewhere that has almost no ducks.
You know how many times I have been asked, "what kind of rice do y'all grow up in Illinois?" :lol3:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Cobra7 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:41 am

Edge wrote:
cannon wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Just having a lil fun and telling it the way I see it. Not bashing. The truth hurts sometimes.

I knew where you stood with it, and I wasn't trying to be pushy. It's just that OOS'ers on this sub-forum seem to like to make a habit of accusing the locals of not wanting them down here shooting "our ducks." Fact is, that ain't the issue, and it never has been. Unfortunately, if you're an OOS'er and/or didn't live here 20 or 30 years ago, you simply don't have a frame of reference.

30 years ago, I could walk out into the Bayou, as a resident of the Natural State, and have my self a good time, whether there were or weren't ducks in the area. I didn't get molested, I didn't have to race to a hole, and I didn't have to worry about being followed in by some shmuck with a GPS. I did the work, I found the spots I wanted to hunt, and I enjoyed them, away from the throngs of idiots.

You simply can't do that anymore. On the rare occasion when I travel to public lands nowadays and actually allow someone to go with me, I make them leave their cell phones and any other electronic devices at the truck, lay in the bottom of the boat, and cover their heads for the trip in and out. It's not because I don't want them to kill ducks. It's because I would love to be able to find a decent spot to hunt the next time I want to go without walking into a spot and finding that guest and 7 of his buddies in it when I get there. Now, given that I'm the guy that took the time to scout and find the spot, I don't think that being irate with someone who'd do such a thing to be that unreasonable. Hold on, I'm getting to a point . . .

With all the above in mind, old locals (like myself) can remember a time when every WMA wasn't a retarded free-for-all. We can remember a time when we actually did the work, without the aid of a computer or satellite system, and found ways to hunt in our backyard. We found the holes on Big Lake without the AGFC giving us a map to 'em. Heck, we went so far as to build blinds in those holes. People were kind and courteous, and there wasn't a knock-down, drag-out at the launch ramp every morning. It didn't matter whose boat was fastest and it certainly didn't have anything to do with an unwillingness to share "our ducks." It was about being able to enjoy rural recreation without the crowded crap associated with urban living. That fond memory leaves a bit of bitterness when you see the way things are on public lands today, and folks from out of state getting on public forums ranting about what a paradise it is down here leaves a bit of a sour taste in our mouths, because it magnifies the problem. Sure, every WMA in Illinois and South Carolina are probably the same way. However, the fact that it's crappy in your neck of the woods doesn't mean we like the idea of it being that way down here.

I've had some phenomenal harvest days on public land, and I probably still would if I could tolerate hunting 'em. Thing is, it ain't ONLY about the ducks. I love to kill ducks, but I love duck hunting even more. When going duck hunting becomes a high-stress, confrontational pasttime, it loses it's utility in my book.

Let's face it: you've personally told me that the inhabitants of your state have RUINED any opportunity for great public duck hunting up there. Why would someone like yourself want to take a stab at making this state the same way? If it's a "misery loves company" mentality, I can somewhat understand. On the other hand, I get the impression that you actually like hunting down here. Be that the case, I can't imagine why you'd want to make a mediocre situation into a bad one by taunting the locals to complain to congressmen until there's a quota or OOS'ers are forced to pay a price for admission that is prohibitively high.

Now, you know me well enough to know that I'm a straight-shooter and I mean exactly what I say, so consider this: With rare exceptions, I don't hunt public land anymore. That's because it tends to suck about 80% of the time, and by "suck" I mean that it's an over-crowded free-for-all, and any possibility of a good time is almost certain to be pissed on by some band of idiots that just can't keep to themselves. In the meantime, you haven't hunted public land too much over the last couple of seasons either, despite having to put up with some pretty rude crap to keep in the good graces of the proprietors. You've told me that the reason you've put up with that was because the private hunting was so much better, which is a fact that I can attest to. The point is, there was a day not so long ago that I did more than 50% of my hunting on public ground, even though I owned the same land back then that I own now. That's because, back then, the public hunting was just as good as the private hunting has ever been. Clearly, things have changed. My reason for cautioning you was that some of the crap you've been pulling on this forum is exactly the sort of crap that makes that situation worse. I can't imagine why someone who enjoys hunting down here would want to do that.

Just my $.02.

I am kinda the same way about fishing over here, especialy spearfishing. We find our dive sights while fishing off shore, if we have a good strike and the bottom looks good, we will roll over the side and have a look. If it is full of lobster and fish we will hunt it. If you take to many people back to that reef, they will whipe out every lobster and ruin it for years. We now have folks from Florida coming up here because we don't have the preasure they do and our lobster are bigger, much bigger. I was the same way about shrimping in Bulls Bay, for one thing the bay is shallow, and dangerouse in a NE wind, so we kept it a gaurded secret. Now we have people on Charleston Fishing posting maps and gps numbers on the internet. Telling friends is one thing, posting it for the world to see is just stupid. Last night the bay looked like a giant game of pick up sticks, there were poles everywhere. It was a cluster. So now I will never go back on the weekend. Oh and about AR, I lease a farm and hunt WMAs in the morning. We just have to many duck hunters here in SC.I have met a bunch of very good folks over the last twenty years or so, some of em come over here and stay with me and fish, some come just to see Charleston. Just like any other state, we have our share of people that realy shouldn't be hunting, hell some of shouldn't own firearms.

Good to see another SC native on here Edge. I moved to Arkansas 7 years ago just for the duck hunting and to become a " native ". It was hard to fit in at first out at Big Lake but I managed. First year I hunted there I killed 8 species of ducks. I was in heaven and still am. Dad lives in Key West so I have my fishing and diving spot but i'll die in the Arkansas flooded timber if I have a choice. There's nothing like it in the world.
Cobra7
hunter

Postby romeocadet08 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:23 am

Cobra7 wrote:
Edge wrote:
cannon wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Just having a lil fun and telling it the way I see it. Not bashing. The truth hurts sometimes.

I knew where you stood with it, and I wasn't trying to be pushy. It's just that OOS'ers on this sub-forum seem to like to make a habit of accusing the locals of not wanting them down here shooting "our ducks." Fact is, that ain't the issue, and it never has been. Unfortunately, if you're an OOS'er and/or didn't live here 20 or 30 years ago, you simply don't have a frame of reference.

30 years ago, I could walk out into the Bayou, as a resident of the Natural State, and have my self a good time, whether there were or weren't ducks in the area. I didn't get molested, I didn't have to race to a hole, and I didn't have to worry about being followed in by some shmuck with a GPS. I did the work, I found the spots I wanted to hunt, and I enjoyed them, away from the throngs of idiots.

You simply can't do that anymore. On the rare occasion when I travel to public lands nowadays and actually allow someone to go with me, I make them leave their cell phones and any other electronic devices at the truck, lay in the bottom of the boat, and cover their heads for the trip in and out. It's not because I don't want them to kill ducks. It's because I would love to be able to find a decent spot to hunt the next time I want to go without walking into a spot and finding that guest and 7 of his buddies in it when I get there. Now, given that I'm the guy that took the time to scout and find the spot, I don't think that being irate with someone who'd do such a thing to be that unreasonable. Hold on, I'm getting to a point . . .

With all the above in mind, old locals (like myself) can remember a time when every WMA wasn't a retarded free-for-all. We can remember a time when we actually did the work, without the aid of a computer or satellite system, and found ways to hunt in our backyard. We found the holes on Big Lake without the AGFC giving us a map to 'em. Heck, we went so far as to build blinds in those holes. People were kind and courteous, and there wasn't a knock-down, drag-out at the launch ramp every morning. It didn't matter whose boat was fastest and it certainly didn't have anything to do with an unwillingness to share "our ducks." It was about being able to enjoy rural recreation without the crowded crap associated with urban living. That fond memory leaves a bit of bitterness when you see the way things are on public lands today, and folks from out of state getting on public forums ranting about what a paradise it is down here leaves a bit of a sour taste in our mouths, because it magnifies the problem. Sure, every WMA in Illinois and South Carolina are probably the same way. However, the fact that it's crappy in your neck of the woods doesn't mean we like the idea of it being that way down here.

I've had some phenomenal harvest days on public land, and I probably still would if I could tolerate hunting 'em. Thing is, it ain't ONLY about the ducks. I love to kill ducks, but I love duck hunting even more. When going duck hunting becomes a high-stress, confrontational pasttime, it loses it's utility in my book.

Let's face it: you've personally told me that the inhabitants of your state have RUINED any opportunity for great public duck hunting up there. Why would someone like yourself want to take a stab at making this state the same way? If it's a "misery loves company" mentality, I can somewhat understand. On the other hand, I get the impression that you actually like hunting down here. Be that the case, I can't imagine why you'd want to make a mediocre situation into a bad one by taunting the locals to complain to congressmen until there's a quota or OOS'ers are forced to pay a price for admission that is prohibitively high.

Now, you know me well enough to know that I'm a straight-shooter and I mean exactly what I say, so consider this: With rare exceptions, I don't hunt public land anymore. That's because it tends to suck about 80% of the time, and by "suck" I mean that it's an over-crowded free-for-all, and any possibility of a good time is almost certain to be pissed on by some band of idiots that just can't keep to themselves. In the meantime, you haven't hunted public land too much over the last couple of seasons either, despite having to put up with some pretty rude crap to keep in the good graces of the proprietors. You've told me that the reason you've put up with that was because the private hunting was so much better, which is a fact that I can attest to. The point is, there was a day not so long ago that I did more than 50% of my hunting on public ground, even though I owned the same land back then that I own now. That's because, back then, the public hunting was just as good as the private hunting has ever been. Clearly, things have changed. My reason for cautioning you was that some of the crap you've been pulling on this forum is exactly the sort of crap that makes that situation worse. I can't imagine why someone who enjoys hunting down here would want to do that.

Just my $.02.

I am kinda the same way about fishing over here, especialy spearfishing. We find our dive sights while fishing off shore, if we have a good strike and the bottom looks good, we will roll over the side and have a look. If it is full of lobster and fish we will hunt it. If you take to many people back to that reef, they will whipe out every lobster and ruin it for years. We now have folks from Florida coming up here because we don't have the preasure they do and our lobster are bigger, much bigger. I was the same way about shrimping in Bulls Bay, for one thing the bay is shallow, and dangerouse in a NE wind, so we kept it a gaurded secret. Now we have people on Charleston Fishing posting maps and gps numbers on the internet. Telling friends is one thing, posting it for the world to see is just stupid. Last night the bay looked like a giant game of pick up sticks, there were poles everywhere. It was a cluster. So now I will never go back on the weekend. Oh and about AR, I lease a farm and hunt WMAs in the morning. We just have to many duck hunters here in SC.I have met a bunch of very good folks over the last twenty years or so, some of em come over here and stay with me and fish, some come just to see Charleston. Just like any other state, we have our share of people that realy shouldn't be hunting, hell some of shouldn't own firearms.

Good to see another SC native on here Edge. I moved to Arkansas 7 years ago just for the duck hunting and to become a " native ". It was hard to fit in at first out at Big Lake but I managed. First year I hunted there I killed 8 species of ducks. I was in heaven and still am. Dad lives in Key West so I have my fishing and diving spot but i'll die in the Arkansas flooded timber if I have a choice. There's nothing like it in the world.

Don't forget me cobra7!!! ;)
romeocadet08
hunter

Previous

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting