This place is dead! Mud boat, calls, decoys, lights

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

This place is dead! Mud boat, calls, decoys, lights

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:48 am

Come on guys I need something to do while wasting a friday afternoon at the desk. I have a few questions that maybe some of you guys can lend some knowledge on.

1. Looking at getting a mud boat this spring, I run eastern oklahoma, NWA and pop my head out east half a dozen times a year. Any of you guys run a gator tail or similar set up? Looking for pros and cons, recommendations, advice you name it.
2. Calls, I have an old buck gardner that gets me by but I would like something a little different to mix up some sounds, any pointers on a quiet, realistic, soft sounding call. I heard the cocabola softens up a call nicely any experience?
3. wanting to pick up a dozen nicer dekes that have a bit more visibility. probably magnums of some sort thinking pintail or even spoonies, maybe black ducks. ideas?
4. Headlights for the boat, any one have any experience with rigid industries? solid looking lights but super pricey, thought there might be a knock off somewhere or alternative that is a bit cheaper but haven't had much luck finding one.

I'm sure we are all in the winter doldrums but this is he last weekend of the season, chipper up and whack a limit
UofAduckman1987
hunter

Re: This place is dead! Mud boat, calls, decoys, lights

Postby PC76 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:42 pm

I tell ya I picked up a ECHO XLT to run this season based on the recommendations of others. Although I don't have much experience with a wide variety of calls I am as pleased as can be. Nice range and has the ability to get alot of those soft whines too. I'd recommend it to anyone. Pretty sure I sold Rick Dunn a couple calls using it this year. I been calling/ hunting for what will be my second season now and it put plenty of em in the water.

As for decoys a friend of mine talked me into Higdons and based on what I can tell the quality and looks are top notches. Gonna set ya back 60-70 on 6 but they are nice. I think the ones that aren't foam filled are a little cheaper. On another note their customer service is top of the line.

For light weight check out the cherokee sports fusion series. Good looking decoys for what they are and with a little wind will
Move a whole lot.
PC76
hunter

Postby steve-o » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:09 pm

1. I don't know anything about mud boats.
2. RNT. After what this company has done for my little girl, I will recommend nothing else. (custom short barrel, pink, hand cut by Butch, and signed by Butch)Image
3. Visibility. Dakota Decoys. Don't have them, but saw them in a spread with other decoys. night and day difference.
4. Rigid is cream of the crop. for something less expensive check out seelite LED(Ark. company). also see sight sponsor, baja designs
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Slash LaReux » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Mud boat should tame any Ok bayou I guess don't know I've never used one. I prefer a Suzuki 25 2-stroke.
Calls are all you, what I mean to say is try a bunch and get what you like.
Decoys fresh paint on old decoys helps a lot, if your walkin in feather flex is the only way to go
Lighting well your first choice is top shelf, having said that one misplaced tree limb and it will me costly. Blitz pro LEDs are bright and will save you some coin, I have 2-18" double row light bars on my truck and they are VERY bright, and they draw a lot less current than 55 watt halogens

Hope this help
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby AaronR » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Hunted out of a 17x54 Gator Tail Extreme boat with a GTR35 on it and loved it. GPS showed us running 28mph with 3 full size grown men(all over 200lbs), a dog, and couple yeti's. Just ordered my own 2 weeks ago.

I have also chosen Echo calls. I have an acrylic Timber, Meat Hanger, and poly double reed timber. All of them sound good but you need to blow them before you buy one.

I own some Dakota Extreme Flocked Mallards and they are by far the most realistic. You can get them at Rogerssportinggoods.com for $133.99 per dozen.

I have a go-light mounted on the front of my boat, it is great for running rivers and bayous but not so much for going through bushes and thick timber.
AaronR
hunter

Postby PC76 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:00 pm

The dakotas are some awesome looking decoys and get alot of movement if you have em rigged loosely with a little wind or current. I am seriously debating the mud motor/ boat switch up for next season.

I have a xpress short side w a 25 Yamaha and it did a whole lot more than I though it was capable. Though I cringed when smacking those cypress knuckles and what not. Of course the mud motors are made for that kind of abuse and shallow water situations. They also want compensation for what the can do.
PC76
hunter

Postby AaronR » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:51 pm

PC76 wrote:The dakotas are some awesome looking decoys and get alot of movement if you have em rigged loosely with a little wind or current. I am seriously debating the mud motor/ boat switch up for next season.

I have a xpress short side w a 25 Yamaha and it did a whole lot more than I though it was capable. Though I cringed when smacking those cypress knuckles and what not. Of course the mud motors are made for that kind of abuse and shallow water situations. They also want compensation for what the can do.

Thats the TRUTH!
AaronR
hunter

Postby PC76 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Well you gotta admit that the price seems reasonable the first time your dragging that rig tilted up through some shallow water. and mr Mud Buddy comes cruising up the water way. I couldn't tell ya how many times I said " I am buyin' a damn mud motor in the offseason", but for some reason I am thinking when im up on the Norfolk tail waters hunting Trout that dang motor sounding like a Chevy with glass packs isn't going to be cutting it.

Maybe when I get back from Afghanistan later this year I may think differently though.
PC76
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:27 pm

Headlights.
This:
$20 from a farm store.
arkansas2013 307.jpg

Calls. I recommend you don't spend a lot of money on calls. Spend THAT money on doing some guided hunts. Pay attention to the calling and specifically the timing. Learn about calling on the corners, tips n tails, that kind of thing before you start looking for a magic call. (we all do that)

Decoys. Use the ones you have. Paint them and/or flock them to brighten them up. White is the most visible color in the field so exagerate the white parts.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:55 am

I went and salvaged this abandoned boat. Wood is still good. Looking for some suggestions on fixing it up.
Leave the blind frame as is? Switch to some kind of arc top, like bamboo? Opening - flip open doors?

AR Dave
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:59 am

New 4 yr old dog - testing floating platform.

AR Dave
hunter

Postby steve-o » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:45 pm

What are you wanting to do with the boat?

steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:09 pm

I'm going to move it up and down the slough, to where the ducks are landing, when they are not landing at one of our permanent blinds like the Beaver Hut. Sometimes they don't follow script. I was thinking I'd change the netting for chicken wire and brush it in with buck brush, which is everywhere I'd set it up. Prefer low profile. When I set it up, I'd use some additional brush from the surrounding area on it. Not sure on how I want to set the top up either. Ducks will be coming into decoy, when 3 or 4 of us raise up and pop em.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Slash LaReux » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Anyone know of a brick and mortar store offering LED lighting. I'm looking specifically for light bars tired of buying from the inter-web, nice place to shop but I want to lay hands on product for a change. Close to Little Rock would be nice. Thanks
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby steve-o » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:26 pm

Slash LaReux wrote:Anyone know of a brick and mortar store offering LED lighting. I'm looking specifically for light bars tired of buying from the inter-web, nice place to shop but I want to lay hands on product for a change. Close to Little Rock would be nice. Thanks

Seelite located in Russellville. They are also a sponsor here.

steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Slash LaReux » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:58 pm

I looked for his product here in town but the guys at Mack's said it was all in the back. They did go get some of the led strip lights in green ( which I bought ) but said they don't carry the light bars. Would like to shop local maybe Seelite will expand their offerings.
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:03 pm

I like the timber boss calls
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:57 pm

Slash LaReux wrote:I looked for his product here in town but the guys at Mack's said it was all in the back. They did go get some of the led strip lights in green ( which I bought ) but said they don't carry the light bars. Would like to shop local maybe Seelite will expand their offerings.

Slash I'm here in Russellville, if I can help let me know. Maybe I could take a pic or something.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:59 pm

OK I just got home from out of town and am told ducks are all over a couple of our blinds. I'm going pretend hunting for the next 2 weeks or until I start seeing snakes........ :help:
AR Dave
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:21 pm

I'm trying strike up something! :help:

I'm exited about the dove field, I'm putting in this year. Lot of doves there now.
What am I going plant? It's back in a pocket of soybean field, surrounded by trees.
Throw some millet in between beans I was going to plant wheat around the pocket (which is banked).
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Slash LaReux » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:29 pm

AR Dave wrote:
Slash LaReux wrote:I looked for his product here in town but the guys at Mack's said it was all in the back. They did go get some of the led strip lights in green ( which I bought ) but said they don't carry the light bars. Would like to shop local maybe Seelite will expand their offerings.

Slash I'm here in Russellville, if I can help let me know. Maybe I could take a pic or something.

Hey man thanks for offering. Have you seen any of the SeeLite light bars in your area? I pass through Russelville from time to time and would like to them up close.
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:41 pm

I need to catch up with what the Seelite bars look like and go find the store.
I'll put it on my checklist as soon as I find the address.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:16 am

Thanks for all the input guys. I will be a proud owner of a GTR35 in the next week and I am having a 18' 50" wide custom aluminum boat made in Texas. This thing should be a beast and can't wait to pick it up and post some pics. If any of you guys are in the market pm me and I can give you some details. mud motor talk is a helpful website as well, they were all very informative and helped me settle on choice. Once I get the boat I will begin all the riggging, interior lights, headlights, bilge, camo paint, seats etc. This has at least kept me occupied until the fishing picks up.

I've attached a 3D view of the boat let me know what you think and what else I should add
Attachments
2-28-2013 boat axon-01.jpg
UofAduckman1987
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting