Need Info/Advice on Arkansas public land hunting!

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

Need Info/Advice on Arkansas public land hunting!

Postby PurePassion » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:21 am

Hey fellas i want to be clear first of all im not asking for anybodies honey hole or anything, but me and and some buddies are planning a trip to arkansas next season to try some public land hunting. We are from kentucky and just want to experience real duck hunting. If anyone could help us out, just wondering about the WMA's timber or fields and what time of year you all would recommend...any info would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!!
PurePassion
hunter

Re: Need Info/Advice on Arkansas public land hunting!

Postby JoeFish » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 am

In Northeast Arkansas there is plenty of public hunting. I hunt Big Lake WMA and St.Francis River. There is a map with hole locations on Big Lake WMA not sure about the St.Francis. Just check AGFC.com. Good Luck.
JoeFish
hunter

Postby PurePassion » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:36 am

thanks sir i really appreciate it
PurePassion
hunter

Postby sigpi906 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:12 am

Are you wanting to use a boat or are you needing places where you can walk in?
I was told people wouldn't take me seriously without a signature.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby steve-o » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:28 am

sigpi906 wrote:Are you wanting to use a boat or are you needing places where you can walk in?

give him the coordinates to the foot bridges at BM :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :hi:
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sigpi906 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:33 am

haha. Touche, Sir. I actually got a good laugh out of that one. I'm definitely not opposed to helping some folks out. I know that makes me a bad person on here, but so be it.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby steve-o » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:02 am

It doesn't make you a bad person. It is just frowned upon by some. I help out when I can.

To the OP, I have my best success early season and late season. This may vary based on weather conditions as well as many other variables.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AaronR » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:59 pm

sigpi906 wrote:haha. Touche, Sir. I actually got a good laugh out of that one. I'm definitely not opposed to helping some folks out. I know that makes me a bad person on here, but so be it.

sigpi, I am not meant to be taken serious. I have never stepped foot on BM. Nothing wrong with a friendly debate though! :biggrin:
:beer:

Arkansas is BLESSED with a TON of public hunting. When and where to hunt is driven by water levels and weather. You will find more helping hands on Ark public land by using common courtesy and respect out there.
AaronR
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:53 am

Were planning the same thing but heading out from WV. I think were planning to go the second week of january 2014 as our date right now. I've been doing a ton of research on places and reading forums on the net. We've been looking at Bayou Meto and Rex Hancock Black Swamp, but the Bayou boat races doesn't look to interesting to me lol, but we'll just leave the boat ramp after the rush. Plus were gonna get a 5 day license and plan on hunting monday-friday so hopefully the week day rush isn't as bad. The Black Swamp sounds pretty good to, but seems like the water levels there are not as easy to plan on being right.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby PurePassion » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:12 am

sigpi906 wrote:Are you wanting to use a boat or are you needing places where you can walk in?

We would be fine with either myself i would be fine with walking in being that we wouldnt be familiar with the place at all!! Thanks
PurePassion
hunter

Postby sigpi906 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Here's the deal with the "boat races".... Well, I should preface this with, I don't own a boat.... but people boat into BM still have to do a little walking. They're generally not actually hunting out of the boat. If you want to walk in to BM, there is actually a pretty large area designated to only foot traffic, no boats allowed. The only thing you have to contend with is being able to cross Wabaseeka Bayou with limited foot bridges and a bunch of guys who don't like to share that information... 3 of the bridges and coordinates are clearly marked on the AGFC website and there are places you can cross without a bridge, but I haven't been able to get down there and scout that out yet... It's on my agenda for the next month or so. The area southwest of the walk-in at BM has a road that runs the length of the area called Longbell with some designated areas for people to camp and a large parking lot at the end where you can post up with your RV. You'll see people out there with some smaller RVs (trailer type) and even a few folks camping out of tents. I, personally, couldn't do the tent thing because you have to be out of the woods by noon every day and that's too much time to sit around and drink before bedtime.... I mean you can only tell so many lies.... err stories. You are about 20-30 minutes from Stuttgart and 30 minutes from Pine Bluff (Crime Bluff)... so there are places to stay relatively close.

Another place that I grew up hunting is Henry Gray Hurricane Lake WMA. But thats another one of those spots that you would have to search msg boards before you came down to get a feel for how much, if any, water there is. But it is a nice spot that is pretty conveniently located to a couple of small towns (Bald Knob/Augusta/McCrory) and one larger town about 45 minutes away called Searcy. It's pretty much boat-in only when the water is up. I've never walked in there, and I'm not even sure if people do.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby grassduck » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:02 pm

Won't have to worry about boat races next year.
grassduck
hunter

Postby QuackAttack31 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:15 am

grassduck wrote:Won't have to worry about boat races next year.

That's what I saw on here. What is there plan with that? Wouldn't it be best to lift the 4 am time, I mean if a guy is willing to set over his decoys all night then he deserves that spot. We have 2 boats a 1442 and a 1542 both with 9.9's so we wouldn't be doing any racing anyway. Plus we have no idea where we would be going the first couple day's.
QuackAttack31
hunter

Postby sigpi906 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:55 am

QuackAttack31 wrote:
grassduck wrote:Won't have to worry about boat races next year.

That's what I saw on here. What is there plan with that? Wouldn't it be best to lift the 4 am time, I mean if a guy is willing to set over his decoys all night then he deserves that spot. We have 2 boats a 1442 and a 1542 both with 9.9's so we wouldn't be doing any racing anyway. Plus we have no idea where we would be going the first couple day's.

No matter how you slice it, there is going to have to be some restriction on time since hunters are required to stop hunting at noon and be out of the woods by 1pm. So AGFC has to list some arbitrary time for people to go in... I guess they figured 4am is logical. And I agree.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby Edge » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:04 am

A 17 yo boy was almost killed this year, there will be changes.
Edge
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:29 pm

I've been in the boat race and it's not all that bad. I ran my 14-48mv SeaArk. Had 2 dozen dekes, a dog, and me in it.
15-horse Evinrude kept me right in the mix.
Nobody passed me and I didn't pass. It was not a big deal. Everyone was racing to a foot-bridge at the govt. cypress. I sat in my boat in the Brushy Slough and killed ducks. The water was DEEP and the current was strong. Went there in 2010 or '09 right after it rained 9".
It was different. Not as bad as they make it sound but I was at the Lower Vallier. I guess the boat launch by the ranger station gets to be a MESS and I can see why. It's set up all wrong. Parking and everything is messed up.
Too small and way too many boats. They didn't plan on BM getting all this internet attention I think.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting