Anyone here hunt the early honker season?

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

Anyone here hunt the early honker season?

Postby quackerattacker » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:53 am

Jus wonderin if anyone here hunts the early honker season...i'm in the northeast n we dunt have many when the later season rolls aroun...any info on where a guy might go would be appreciated... :)
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:43 pm

Not I say's the greenster, ACtually i have never really hunted geese. not with deeks at least. tho it is something i would like to get into.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:59 pm

I chase the geese during the early season pretty hard if I'm not at the lake fishing and do pretty darn good.

Clarksville is supposedly the resident canada goose mecca of Arkansas. I hunt more up near Fort Smith because it's closer and they're just plain stupid sometimes. One thing that's great about the early season is you don't need 10 doz. fullbodies or floaters. Half a doz. to a doz. will work just fine for you. Also, you won't have to do a whole lot of calling either.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:13 pm

thanx fellas....i may jus give it a try this yr...i'm definately gonna try hittin the specs hard too...they're so thick n my area and seem ta be fairly easy ta get ta decoy...i'm gonna settup a blind n the pit that was n beans this yr and dedicate it ta the specs...they seem ta work better when the water aint so deep.... :)
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Where do you want to hunt

Postby Total duck » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:37 pm

I know some killer spots but its deep water hunting off sandy points,,,, you make your blind the day before and get ready to clean some geese! I just want to know where you want to go,,,,,, cause norfork holds `em year around and if you talk to the core they set aside weeks to clean them out then you have the latter part where they come in by the thousands and stay for weeks at a time........... easy shootin nothin to brag about ,,,,,, but when you come home with your limit ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,reckin thats bragin rights ,,,,, I am justa old feller its not that big of a thing to me ,,, I will say the newbees love it and I like to see people enjoy themselves. that is if your from arkansas !
Total duck
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:09 pm

I finally found a nice spot to hunt geese this year. This is about a 5th of what we actually saw.

http://yellerdawg.com/hollisgeese.mov
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby PowDuck » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:15 pm

I plan on joining my cousin and friends in teh LR/Conway area for next weekend. Usually we hunt the river somewhere. They know the area. i just tag along and pick up decoys. :tounge:
Romans 8:28
PowDuck
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:00 am

:yes: our early season opens up the 28th of sept and runs thru the 9th of october........ lots of geese were in the aera till the opening of teal season.............we hunt lakes most of the fields are a nono..... :pissed: most of the farmers around this aera wont let the hunters in to hunt.to many out of staters from texas and new mexcio came in here acouple yrs ago and tore up some fields now we are all out......... lost a prime canada field because of it..... someone shot up a tractor ....so it off limits to everyone now.
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:44 pm

How'd everyone else do this weekend?

Got my limit this morning and my hunting buddy didn't pull a feather. Saturday was a bust though.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:30 am

:pissed: didnt see a bird, after the teal season most of the geese went elsewhere. oh well.. duckseason is commin :thumbsup:
it better cool off no fun hunting in 90 degree weather :thumbsdown:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:12 pm

Shot myself another limit this morning. :thumbsup:

Last edited by ol' yeller on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby greenster » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:59 pm

ERGH...Nice birds. Question for you goose'rs how hard is it to blow a goose call compared to duck... Ive never blown one but might like to get into it very quickly.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:37 pm

It's not any harder than learning to blow a duck call, but it is quite a bit different. If you want to learn I'd suggest picking up an instructional CD or let me know and I'll make a copy of one of mine. It doesn't take much to get them into gun range around here, so all I do is honk and cluck.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:24 pm

:umm:most of our cans left the second morning,,,,,,,, and at 90 degrees i really havent had the urge.... spent friday 80 degrees movin my duck blind...... had duckd up the wazoo, mostly teal and woodies a few gads.
our cans went to a private lake where thewy can not be hunted. our main goose season, cananda, dosent reopen till the end of november and runs till end of jan. duck and snowgoose open the 29th of oct... hope the weather cools down.
lee

idenify before you shoot :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby PowDuck » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:53 pm

Well, we didn't do any good. Saw a few but didn't come our way.
Congrats, yeller.
Romans 8:28
PowDuck
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:18 am

well fella we all did our best but it seems the geese have made it through another early season un touched........ :pissed:
lee

idenify befeore you shoot :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby Daisycuttin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:39 pm

We did extremely well public property off of an island in the main river channel with about 8 floaters and 4 full bodies. 7 day total between three of us was 19 and 3 bands. Two of the birds were banded in Kibler, Ar. and the third was banded in Hartman. All in all a great early goose season. There are still roughly 8 or 9 banded birds walking around at the lock and dam 13 park. hahaha. maybe we can lure them out about january.
If ya don't like being peppered, don't set up near my spread..!!!!!

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:55 pm

well good luck right now they are buggin me to death our duck is oen but canada dont reopen till end of nov.

lee

idenify before you shoot :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting