arkansas mojos

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

arkansas mojos

Postby rivershark » Sat May 18, 2013 6:23 am

been hearing alot about another mojo ban... whatcha think?
i dont know who you are or where you're going, but its a race to get there!
there are 3 things that make or break a friendship: politics, religion and duck hunting
rivershark
hunter

Re: arkansas mojos

Postby ByersFarm » Sat May 18, 2013 7:22 am

I can only hope.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby rivershark » Sat May 18, 2013 8:12 am

keeping em on the private places wont bother me but taking them out of the wma would be just fine.
there are 3 things that make or break a friendship: politics, religion and duck hunting
rivershark
hunter

Postby steve-o » Sat May 18, 2013 8:43 am

I have never found them to be of much use.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Slash LaReux » Sat May 18, 2013 11:59 am

Motion wing decoys are to duck hunting what rohipnol is to lovemaking .........kinda makes you feel sorry for the guy who feels he needs to use it. Now do we lay low the user of the former as we should the user of the later? No. Now emasculation that's a different story. Now I hope your smellin what I'm stepping in here I don't expect the game and fish guys to carry a set of bands with them and place them on offenders, heck when a fella turns a mojo on its kinda like he's putting the band on him self. IMHO
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Sat May 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Run down the river and see a set up with 6 or 7 Mojos running and you'll all want them outlawed
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rivershark » Sun May 19, 2013 8:08 am

guess the game and fish will discuss it at the meeting in june. ive never been to one of their public meetings but ive been wanting to go. wonder if hunters opinions actually matter at those things?
rivershark
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue May 21, 2013 9:11 pm

rivershark wrote:been hearing alot about another mojo ban... whatcha think?

People still use those?
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby rivershark » Thu May 23, 2013 6:16 am

oh yeah they do. we tend not to, not because we necessarily feel that mojos are inefficient, but they end up screwing up at some point. i do feel like sometimes they help bring birds in but more often than not they are just a headache.
rivershark
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu May 23, 2013 8:55 am

Well for me there is a time and place for them. I have a little teal mojo (someone gave me), that I'll raise and lower out of my blind just to get their attention from a distance. It's a situation where they're flying the swamp looking for a place, no doubt they can see my mojo flapping wings from way down yonder. I then lower it into the blind and start that Jerk Cord a swimming. Also have a Dove Mojo (someone gave me), that I can set up. Sometimes put it in the sun - I have a switch to turn the thing off when birds take notice and I start jerking on that Cord. I could do the same thing by flashing a wing, so taking away the mojo's would be OK with me. As long as I have my Jerk Cords.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby TensasBayou » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:52 pm

Terry Denmon, who owns the company Mojo, was on Louisiana's Wildlife and Fisheries Board of Commissioners the last time it came down for a vote a few years ago. The entire Flyway was attempting to ban them and of course, the ban on spinning wing decoys did not pass, thus blowing up Arkansas's initiative. He did "recuse" himself from the vote.

Mojo is no longer on the Board here, so now it has a chance, at least for LA AR MS to set an example. There is no doubt these motorized motion decoys altered the juvinile mortality % due to hunting.

Terry also got indicted for some shady land deal down here at some point I heard, but the charges were dropped.
TensasBayou
hunter

Postby Lemonhead » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:13 am

Someone fill me in on why banning SWDs on WMAs is important. I've heard this discussed alot over the past few years and was curious about the reason. It seems to be something that the verterns are passionate about so its got to be a good thing, just would like to know why.
Lemonhead
hunter

Postby gomer snerd » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:58 am

Because I want you to hunt the way I enjoy it. My way is the right way. Your way is wrong and you shouldn't hunt that way because I don't like it. I don't like to use them so you shouldn't be allowed to use them. Next I am going to get dodge trucks , winchester guns , under armor clothing and diet Pepsi banned because I don't like them either.
gomer snerd
hunter

Postby cannon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:49 am

gomer snerd wrote:Because I want you to hunt the way I enjoy it. My way is the right way. Your way is wrong and you shouldn't hunt that way because I don't like it. I don't like to use them so you shouldn't be allowed to use them. Next I am going to get dodge trucks , winchester guns , under armor clothing and diet Pepsi banned because I don't like them either.

There's a little more to it than that, but I don't know that it matters down here. A joint study between the USFW & whatever Canadian authority does their thing found that the harvest ratios for Mojo's/no Mojos in fields on the border was 40/1. In other words, in side-by-side trials, people using mojo's killed 40 to every 1 killed without them. That finding was significant because it also found the decoys to be exponentially more effective on juvenile birds. The reasonable conclusion was that, by harvesting an inordinately high number of juveniles, the decoys and the hunters using them screw with the inprinting process and the natural migration patterns of the birds. Some scientists linked that re-direction of the imprinting process to large numbers of birds dying off from starvation because they failed to migrate.

Those convicted as such have called for a prohibition of the decoys based upon the fact that they see them as unethical. If you had hunted over one of them in 1997, you would have agreed. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. On the other hand, I'm not sure that they have a meaningful impact in Arkansas at this point, beyond annoying neighboring hunters because they don't work and tend to cause birds to circle for a while and then fly off, losing interest in any legitimate decoy spreads and callers in the meantime. Were there a serious discussion regarding banning their use in Canada and in border states, I'd have a stronger opinion on the matter, because I think those places have a legitimate inpact on harvest numbers running the length of the flyway. By the time the birds get down here, I sincerely doubt that it makes any difference.
cannon
hunter

Postby gomer snerd » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:34 pm

yes but what about those dodge trucks and that diet pepsi???
gomer snerd
hunter

Postby cannon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:05 pm

gomer snerd wrote:yes but what about those dodge trucks and that diet pepsi???

I'm absolutely in agreement. I say ban em and execute anyone who complains. Everyone knows that Chevrolet makes the only real trucks worth driving and diet Pepsi is the same thing as fat-free urine. Same goes for winchester shotguns. Benelli is the only REAL gun manufacturer to place a legitimate product for sale over the last 100 in this country. Oh, and Under Armor is for metro's that need to make a sporty fashion statement. Nobody should be allowed by law to obtain such obscene products.

I'm gonna run for cover now . . . you boys fire away!
cannon
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:14 pm

Holy Crap I didn't know all that. I didn't get back down here to hunt ducks until about 5 yrs ago and haven't thought they were all that great. My hunting buddies talk about how awesome they were when they first came out but say the birds got used to them.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby gomer snerd » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:37 pm

imho when they first came out you could get ducks to go to places they were not used to going. The guys that had the good spots claimed or rented saw that the less fortunate of us could kill ducks. Their ducks. Heresy!!! We can't have that!! "Foul!" they cried." Unfair! We are paying big bucks to kill our ducks and now these guys are shooting some of them." "That's not how pawpaw did it. I don't want to do it that way and they shouldn't either!"

I like how folks say they don't work anymore. Then why outlaw them?? If you don't like them then don't use them. You like diet pepsi then drink it.
gomer snerd
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:45 am

Like I said, I think the legitimate argument for banning them only matters far north of us. In 1997, I could kill ducks with them in a pothole in the middle of a highway. I said then that I didn't think that it was fair to the ducks, because it made killing them too easy. Of course, that DIDN'T stop me from using them until '01. I'm not a terribly ethical guy.

The guys who gripe locally typically are public land hunters. Their complaint is that having hunters using them in close proximity changes the natural tendencies of the birds.

I haven't hunted public land in three seasons, so I don't care who uses them down here. In Canada and the Dakotas, on the other hand, I'd certainly be in favor of banning them. They're certainly have far greater impact on juvenile mortality rates than lead ever did. If that means banning them across the entire flyway, I'd be in favor of it.

Personally, I don't use em. The argument about "our" ducks is the same one the northern states made last time AGFC banned em. Essentially, they said "screw the imprinting process. We wanna shoot ducks and want to shoot em now, by any means necessary. If ducks don't naturally use an area, we'll sucker em into it and shoot em anyway. You Arkansas boys are just jealous because we're shooting all your baby ducks in swimming pools in our back yards."

When AGFC banned em, they were trying to lead by example. That never works in a nation of complete narcissists. Frankly, I love folks using them down here on public land. It's that same "redistribution of wealth" mentality that has made our public hunting a fiasco, but the more those boys keep em stirred up in the woods, the better it gets in my back yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cannon
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:17 am

wish I had a dollar for every mojo ducks have seen by the time they get to NEA!!!! I say take um...and depend on good old fashion blocks and calling skills. just like every other faset of life, we have become toooo dependant on electronic devises for everything. a good call and a few dozen dekes then let the best man win....
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:00 pm

AR Dave wrote:Holy Crap I didn't know all that. I didn't get back down here to hunt ducks until about 5 yrs ago and haven't thought they were all that great. My hunting buddies talk about how awesome they were when they first came out but say the birds got used to them.

Only the mature ducks. Band harvest data suggests that the average age of a mallard killed in arkansas jumped from 2 years to 4 years between '99 & '04. It's only the juries that ain't making the trip anymore.
cannon
hunter

Postby Lemonhead » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Good thing is if you can fool a group of greenheads to commit to your spread in Arkansas you have really accomplished something. I like to think i was the one that talked them into givin it up. That's just my personal preference.
Lemonhead
hunter

Postby rivershark » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:01 pm

The funny part behind alot of this discussion is that a ton of people say "I don't use them" but if you drive through the woods on any wma id say 9 out of 10 holes has a spinner or 6. For so many people screaming I don't use them I sure do see alot in the woods.. if it helps me kil just 1more duck a year im using it. Maybe im not the ethical saint or mallard master most pretend to be but oh well. And also I do drive a dodge but I drink pepsi max lol.. love it.
rivershark
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:39 am

What's rohipinal?
Butta boom
hunter

Postby Slash LaReux » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:26 pm

Butta boom wrote:What's rohipinal?

Well lets just say rohipnol is not your daddy's Spanish fly........
Slash LaReux
hunter

Next

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting