Offseason Work

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Re: Offseason Work

Postby labman63 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:54 pm

I admire all the work you have put in. Not many do it that way nowdays,everybody wants to take the easy way. Glad you found the pistol!
labman63
hunter
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: North Carolina


Re: Offseason Work

Postby AR Dave » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:53 pm

Not going to get in the Guide Business, however my buddy called today and it looks like we're going to raffle off some hunting, to raise money for a kids foundation. He asked me to get the pics together for posters / fliers and such. Guess I'll let y'all know what we end up with. Any advice or warnings?
User avatar
AR Dave
hunter
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Offseason Work

Postby Crazy Cray » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:43 am

For starters, I'm new here so hi all! Second, Man!!!! Everyone has some nice looking places to hunt. I am jealous! I live in East TN and quite frankly the hunting is horrible but we still do it. I think last year we shot a total of 17 birds between my Brother-in-law and I. Everyone's places look awesome and I am sure you guys will do great this season!!

As to ARDave, Glad you found your .357! I know how special that can mean to a person when it is passed down. The only advice I can give you on your raffle is make sure first and foremost that the individual(s) sign waivers for liability. That way if anyone that hunts it and get hurts you are covered and they cannot sue you. Protect the investment!!!! I would also make sure you get their personal info as far as addresses, numbers, and alternate contact info in case they tear your land up so they can either fix it or be held accountable. Not much more to say about it except make sure you tell them your expectations and that they respect your land. I used to hunt a lot of farms in Illinois (originally from there) and I can't tell you the number of people that don't respect other people's property. It isn't rocket science to pick up your brass, garbage, or whatever else. And it isn't a 4-wheelin hole either. Hope it all works out!! Matt :welcome:
The only thing worse than going home empty handed is going home empty handed with half your ammo!
User avatar
Crazy Cray
hunter
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Kingston, TN

Re: Offseason Work

Postby firedawg1513 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:20 am

Crazy Cray wrote:For starters, I'm new here so hi all! Second, Man!!!! Everyone has some nice looking places to hunt. I am jealous! I live in East TN and quite frankly the hunting is horrible but we still do it. I think last year we shot a total of 17 birds between my Brother-in-law and I. Everyone's places look awesome and I am sure you guys will do great this season!!

As to ARDave, Glad you found your .357! I know how special that can mean to a person when it is passed down. The only advice I can give you on your raffle is make sure first and foremost that the individual(s) sign waivers for liability. That way if anyone that hunts it and get hurts you are covered and they cannot sue you. Protect the investment!!!! I would also make sure you get their personal info as far as addresses, numbers, and alternate contact info in case they tear your land up so they can either fix it or be held accountable. Not much more to say about it except make sure you tell them your expectations and that they respect your land. I used to hunt a lot of farms in Illinois (originally from there) and I can't tell you the number of people that don't respect other people's property. It isn't rocket science to pick up your brass, garbage, or whatever else. And it isn't a 4-wheelin hole either. Hope it all works out!! Matt :welcome:


AMEN on the E. TN hunting. There were days last season (atleast on watts bar) there weren't even any sea gulls flying. TERRIBLE!!! :beer:
savin lives & destroyin property since 2002...
firedawg1513
hunter
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:07 pm
Location: east tn

Re: Offseason Work

Postby AR Dave » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:22 am

Interesting thoughts Crazy Cray - thanks.

Are there legal do's and dont's on what we can do? Should we stay away from calling it a Guided Hunt (not having a Guide LIcense)? Is it legal to raffle a hunt? I think the charity is going to have a silent auction and we are donating a hunt...
Last edited by AR Dave on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
AR Dave
hunter
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Offseason Work

Postby Crazy Cray » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:06 pm

That's right firedawg!! Watts Bar sucks for waterfowl! That's where I hunt and I hope one day I can take a weekend and hunt west just to get the opportunity to slaughter some flyers. Probably next year though. Until then, stuck on Watts Bar staring at gullies all morning and seeing an occasional mallard. Usually don't see 'em until I have a cup of coffee or a piece of beef jerky in my hand :fingerhead:
The only thing worse than going home empty handed is going home empty handed with half your ammo!
User avatar
Crazy Cray
hunter
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Kingston, TN

Re: Offseason Work

Postby firedawg1513 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:48 am

Crazy Cray wrote:That's right firedawg!! Watts Bar sucks for waterfowl! That's where I hunt and I hope one day I can take a weekend and hunt west just to get the opportunity to slaughter some flyers. Probably next year though. Until then, stuck on Watts Bar staring at gullies all morning and seeing an occasional mallard. Usually don't see 'em until I have a cup of coffee or a piece of beef jerky in my hand :fingerhead:


that's about typical lol. i finally said screw it and managed to locate a lease in nea this year (near cash, ar) and hope to keep it for awhile. not gonna wast anymore time around here. lower watts bar is better than rockwood and kingston areas though, with the exception of a couple spots.
savin lives & destroyin property since 2002...
firedawg1513
hunter
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:07 pm
Location: east tn

Re: Offseason Work

Postby greenster » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:50 am

Dave, I would go ahead and get a guides LIC. they are only like $25. It will protect your ASSets, because you ARE accepting monies
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
User avatar
greenster
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4406
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: arkansas Green Timber

Re: Offseason Work

Postby AR Dave » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Wow! To be a Big Game Guide in Alaska, I had to work as an assistant for 7 years, take a test more complicated than the ACT, have like 8 clients recommendation letters, and pay $1,000 intitial and a couple hundred each year. I love this state! :lol3:
User avatar
AR Dave
hunter
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Offseason Work

Postby deliriousII » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:17 pm

Could you call it a "charity hunt" and not have to worry about the "guided" part?
quack addict
User avatar
deliriousII
hunter
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:42 pm
Location: St. Rose, LA

Re: Offseason Work

Postby greenster » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:35 pm

deliriousII wrote:Could you call it a "charity hunt" and not have to worry about the "guided" part?



charity fall's under other considerations. under AGFC determination a guide is someone who guides hunters for pay or other consideration.

"An Arkansas resident may guide hunters on land not owned or leased by the AGFC with a Resident Guide License ($25).

An Arkansas resident, who provides proof of at least one year’s residency, may guide hunters, but not waterfowl hunters, on land owned or leased by the AGFC with the Resident Special Guide License ($150). There is no nonresident equivalent of this license.

A nonresident may guide hunters on land not owned or leased by the AGFC with the Nonresident Guide License/Hunting ($150).

Hunting guide licenses expire June 30 and do not include hunting privileges. These licenses are available from AGFC offices. "
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
User avatar
greenster
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4406
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: arkansas Green Timber

Re: Offseason Work

Postby AR Dave » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:27 am

Definitely a charity thing - auction at the church. No different than other friends we take.

IMG_1099.jpg
User avatar
AR Dave
hunter
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Offseason Work

Postby AR Dave » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:15 am

I'm told the hunt went for $400. Buddy said that a kid had bid on it (silent auction) then stood guard over the table or something. Anyway everyone knew pretty quick that he was very excited about it. A local Doctor wanted to bid more, but bowed out for the kid. :beer: From my view point it couldn't have worked out any better. I know how it works with us, chances are the kid will end up part of our hunting gang. :smile:
User avatar
AR Dave
hunter
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Offseason Work

Postby Crazy Cray » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:33 am

Just wondering how the charity hunt went! I thought that was awesome that the doctor bowed out.
The only thing worse than going home empty handed is going home empty handed with half your ammo!
User avatar
Crazy Cray
hunter
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Kingston, TN

Re: Offseason Work

Postby AR Dave » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Crazy Cray wrote:Just wondering how the charity hunt went! I thought that was awesome that the doctor bowed out.


Waiting until colder, wetter weather and hopefully more ducks :smile:
User avatar
AR Dave
hunter
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Offseason Work

Postby Edge » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Good work Dave. Well done.
User avatar
Edge
hunter
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Offseason Work

Postby henny hen hen » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:05 pm

Have u tried any chemicals that kill aquatic broadleaves but not fish 2-4-d amine is pretty hard on duck salad and Lilly pads mix it with round up and it shouldn't stand a chance. It may save u a lot of time and effort.
henny hen hen
hunter
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:46 pm

Previous

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: banana0721 and 3 guests