AR River Questions

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

AR River Questions

Postby nware14 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:21 pm

So me and some of my buddies hunted a spot on the Arkansas river where we tied the boat up and walked to the hole which was actually just a small waterway off the river. They said it was public land. How do you know what is public and what isn't. not everywhere has a sign. Are there maps?
thanks
nware14
hunter

Re: AR River Questions

Postby whisperin' duck » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Post up the coordinates and we'll try and help you decide! :lol3:
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ShootinDrakes » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:56 am

I know there's a map of Corps of Engineers property somewhere online. If you search for the Corps district on Google, you should be able to find the Corps boundary. It's what we used a few years ago down there. Just watch out for the people that think they own all the land down there.
ShootinDrakes
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:43 am

The whole river is private. Arkansas families have been hunting the spot you want for 14 generations and you need to leave cuz you are messing up generation fifteen's hunt. Get ready to hear this. I am sick of hearing it.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:19 pm

aunt betty wrote:The whole river is private. Arkansas families have been hunting the spot you want for 14 generations and you need to leave cuz you are messing up generation fifteen's hunt. Get ready to hear this. I am sick of hearing it.

Some rivers are private. It's actually very complicated. The water itself is public but the ground, trees, bushes, etc. are all private. If the river is out you can go anywhere the water is as long as you don't touch the ground or anything on it. Confusing enough?
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby steve-o » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:34 pm

whisperin' duck wrote:
aunt betty wrote:The whole river is private. Arkansas families have been hunting the spot you want for 14 generations and you need to leave cuz you are messing up generation fifteen's hunt. Get ready to hear this. I am sick of hearing it.

Some rivers are private. It's actually very complicated. The water itself is public but the ground, trees, bushes, etc. are all private. If the river is out you can go anywhere the water is as long as you don't touch the ground or anything on it. Confusing enough?

I spoke with a game warden about this. He told me going beyond the high water mark on the bank of the river is trespassing.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:00 pm

steve-o wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote:

I spoke with a game warden about this. He told me going beyond the high water mark on the bank of the river is trespassing.

That's pretty much the deal. One can legally pass through in a boat in high water, but can't legally hunt. If you're walking, you're trespassing. If you throw out a decoy anchor, you're trespassing. If you tie off, you're trespassing. If you're inside the high water mark on a navigable waterway, you're legal.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:55 pm

cannon wrote:
steve-o wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote:

That's pretty much the deal. One can legally pass through in a boat in high water, but can't legally hunt. If you're walking, you're trespassing. If you throw out a decoy anchor, you're trespassing. If you tie off, you're trespassing. If you're inside the high water mark on a navigable waterway, you're legal.
sounds like Illinois. Are there any "navigable waterways" in Arkansas. Up here most rivers are not navigable so river hunting is just not done.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby nware14 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:47 pm

After some research I found that the core does own some land around the river. So it is not all private but I will say 99.9% is.
nware14
hunter

Postby ARduckcwby » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:30 pm

steve-o wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote:

I don't take much thought into what a GW says, ask 5 different GW's and you'll get five different answers.
ARduckcwby
hunter

Postby steve-o » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:48 pm

ARduckcwby wrote:
steve-o wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote:

I don't take much though into what a GW says, ask 5 different GW's and you'll get five different answers.

Yeah, but this guy I know, cannon, I know he knows what he knows.
cannon wrote:That's pretty much the deal. One can legally pass through in a boat in high water, but can't legally hunt. If you're walking, you're trespassing. If you throw out a decoy anchor, you're trespassing. If you tie off, you're trespassing. If you're inside the high water mark on a navigable waterway, you're legal.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ARduckcwby » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:58 pm

He might, and I hope he does. But, show me in the books.

Although.... "Well, game warden Billy Joe Jim Bob said so", doesn't hold up real well in court. :wink:
ARduckcwby
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:13 pm

ARduckcwby wrote:He might, and I hope he does. But, show me in the books.

Although.... "Well, game warden Billy Joe Jim Bob said so", doesn't hold up real well in court. :wink:

You obviously don't hang around here much. Cannons the resident attorney who has researched this, since it applies to his hunting too.
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ARduckcwby » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:02 pm

You're right. I'm pretty new to the site. Just stumbled on to the AR forum. I enjoy keeping up with the local talk in our state.

Good to meet you guys.

I wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes here, I had a run in with a two GW's years back who happen to have different opinions on a topic which one GW cited me for. Luckily, I was found not guilty after we went to court on it.
ARduckcwby
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting