SE Ark

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

SE Ark

Postby mgthunter » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:11 am

Still looking for a blind in SE Ark.

Thought I had one lined up. Farmer has a very large silver Diesel fuel tank in the middle of the field. Anyway the birds come in they would have to fly over it. It's sure to flare em.
mgthunter
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:37 pm

I dont think it would bother them... THey see them all the way down along with geese. If it came down to it you could put camo Burlap over it. or pile brush around it. Might want to ask owner before though.. Another thing you might not want to shoot it. BTW what general location are you looking for. or this blind in?
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

I agreee

Postby Total duck » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:22 pm

Their is no reason you can hunt beside it with some burlap over it and be beside it good lord how much are they charging you to hunt their.................If it was me,,,,,,,,,,,and its not but I would weigh the factors....... peace man but thats a good place to start!
Total duck
hunter

Postby mgthunter » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:27 am

It would have to be alot of burlap. It's about 15 feet tall and oh I guess 15-20 feet long. It's a big @ss tank on stilts : )

It is directly in the middle of the field.

price isn't bad...but it's not low enough to disregard the tank. Plus the river is at least 5 miles away. In my opinion it's not a prime location. It has not been hunted or flooded in 3 or 4 years. I was told by some folks in the area that it's not a bad spot just don't get the field next to the road. We are looking at the 2nd field from the road. the others are taken.

It is the only water in the area, so i might be one heck of a spot. If it's a flyway. I don't know. I just don't want to spend a couple of grand and it be junk. I know that is the chance we all take. I plan to do it if the land owner can move the tank and put the blind in the middle of the field. Farm said he does not want 4 wheelers in the field. :thumbsdown:

It is a rice field Farmer has Lazer leveled it or Zero graded it so it does not have levees except for the outside edge. He bailed the Rice stubble into hay bails. and Disc'd the fields (No trace from the air that it was a rice field). It will be a nighmare to walk in :yes:

Never seen a rice field done like that. especailly for it to be hunted.

and we are not sure if he will let us put a blind in the middle or if he expects it to go on the outside. I know he spent a ton of money grading it to be level.

Will have to work out the details w/ Farmer.

It will be one very large body of water 120 ac's i would be getting 40 of it w/ one pit blind.
3 blinds including mine.

it has potential, but no track record. i'm not an expert on these things and may be approaching it a little too cautiously.

Considering that as of now this is my only lead for a place to hunt this year. It might not be too bad :tounge:

Am I looking at this the wrong way?

this is near Bradley Ark, about 15-20 minutes away.
mgthunter
hunter

burlap to cover you

Postby Total duck » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:22 am

Make you a light blind near it and get some plastic and put your deeks on the plastic they will think its water ;) and you really think I am kidding ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NO telling the truth,,, now with that said and its about your only option,,,,,,,,,get back with me and when you shoot use both eyes ;)
Total duck
hunter

Postby mgthunter » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:00 pm

I've heard of that before. never tried it. Don't think i will ever be in the situation to try it. but you never know.

Water is not the issue...from what I am told there will be 120 ac of water about a foot or so deep, all surrounded by corn fields. whether the ducks will fly over it and lite in it is a different story.
mgthunter
hunter

if you have

Postby Total duck » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:01 pm

If you have that much water whats the problem ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,man get some deeks and do like the rest of us call`em down ;)
and if your having problems calling them down contact one of us :) I`ll be glade to bring 5 dozen deeks and bring them down but heres where I have found................................duck hunt like its turkey season,,,,,,,,,,no back of the hands exposed or at least camo,,,,face and so on............movement is important as well............think of it like this ,,,,, your sitting down looking at the ground and spot ants..............well think about laying down do you think you will spot them................thus movement is everything ,.......... shoot with both eyes and leave the woods as you came to see it for the next feller;)
Total duck
hunter

Postby mgthunter » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:37 am

TD,

I appreciate the tips, and my callin aint too bad (those I hunt w/ may take issue w/ me and my calling :smile: ).
I think you misunderstood the post, I am not asking for hunting tips. The original post was that I am still looking for a blind in SE ARK.

I thought I had one lined out but there is a very large very silver tank sitting in the middle of it. Exactly where I would put a blind.

If you have some input on whether that Tank would be a problem to the birds, I'm all ears. If you have ever hunted on a rice field that has a zero grade w/ no levees running thru it. Or a field that has been disc'd or plowed before they flood it. I would love to hear your input.

I just might have to give you a call to come down and hunt, you sound like a you eat, breath, sleep, & S*!T Ducks. I bet you are quiet the hoot in a blind... :thumbsup:
mgthunter
hunter

heres my idea

Postby Total duck » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:15 am

I have a stealth 2000 load the deeks and lets ride thru the flat fields take us some burlap thats cammo and i`ll bend some conduit ,,,,,,,,,,<-----ol union electrician and then make a j pattern spread and have some warm coffie together ,,,,,,,,,,break out them dirty rice calls and watch the smoke ;)
hecks fire you might even do some guided hunts I know a ton of folks beggin to be guided,,,,,,,,,,,I myself don`t like to take their money I had rather see that awsome smile for payment ................
I think your going to be just fine on a flat field with this tank,,,,,,,,,nows the time to scout,,,,,,,,,,,,,,don`t you see gadwalls and mallards in yet>>> I by gosh do ;)
Total duck
hunter

Postby mgthunter » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:47 am

might just have to do that.

No water, no birds here.
mgthunter
hunter

keep in touch

Postby Total duck » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:15 pm

You can come up here and kill these yankee ducks and we can follow them down south with the migration ,,,,,,,,,,I have taken off work just for this ,.,,, money saved kids raised its my time now ;)
Really,,,,,,,, keep in touch and be ready to drive over night I have 3 extra places to sleep ;)gun and run !
Total duck
hunter

let me say this

Postby Total duck » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:24 pm

in my 30 years of duck hunting never ever have I ever seen such a sight as I am about to explain..........I bought a woodie call 3 years ago and its loud ,,,,,but their again so are they and I got 12 woodie deeks,,, the cost is a little high but well worth the money ,,,,,,,,,anyway don`t let me go on a tanget but the moral of the story is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I seen woodies come to my call last year by the thousands,,,,,,,,,,don`t take my word for it I had friends along that see it too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we talkin woodie migration,,,,,,,,,,,like never seen before my mouth droped sayin good lord are you seeing what I am........we was dumbfounded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
has anyone seen groves of woodies flocked up by the numbers near a thousand in a group before ................. and one more thing they were comming in until noon ,,,,,,,,,now from what I know a woodie moves first thing almost before shooting hours ,,,,,,,,,,these son of a guns flew tell noon and that happen for 2 stright days .........whew thats alota typin....
Total duck
hunter

Postby mgthunter » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:25 am

been in flooded timber and they come in on ya in the hundreds, almost hitting you as they land. Could have reached out and choked em or hit em w/ the butt of my gun at times. Not that I shoot birds on the water :cool: , we could have taken a dozen or so out w/ one shot as they swim by on many occasions.

Woodies aren't much on the calls in my experience. Not to say that I haven't called them in or turn them from a mallard quack. I have had them swim up on me from the woodie call and a mallard call alot more than calling them while they were flying.

When I hunted the flooded timber, they were my Langiappe. Shot woodies early and waited for my mallards to fill my bag limit. And watched the Woodies swim around us until we spooked em by calling or kicking the water.
mgthunter
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:40 pm

I'm not sure that a Tank will bother them. They see them the whole way down... I hunted in fields for several years. no levee's eaither. Flooded by a rather large creek. (ran my truck in it once but thats a diff story) I cant even start to tell you how perfect of a place this was....Flooded Rice field Boarding a WMA and about 3,000acre's of a waterfowl rest area. needless to say mossyoak got the land for the MAN.. (for sale now i can give info if you want) but any-way back to the topic there was a few tanks out there. even hunted beside one a few times. never seemed to bother them

Sorry for any typos..
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackerattacker » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:35 pm

nah, a tank wunt bother em if they want n there....and ya can't make em lite where they dunt wanna go, dunt matter how purty ya call....i have a friend with an excellent pit right beside 2 silo's, farm equipment, etc...they want n there, yr after yr....good luck!!!
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby mgthunter » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:59 pm

Well it's a Mute point now.

The farmer doesn't seem to want to lease the deal as of now. He hasn't finished the blinds & has no intention of flooding the fields for 10 to 14 more days and poss. longer. Says he wants to do something to the field but has to wait till its dry. Who knows he may have a better offer ,but as of this morning he wouldn't talk money and would not commit to an agreement of any kind. This goes against what he told the guys that were leasing the other two fields.

SO, I am Now LOOKING for ANOTHER SPOT IN SE ARK.
& time is a tickin...

Thanks,
mgthunter
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting