ARE THE DUCKS IN ARKANSAS YET?

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

ARE THE DUCKS IN ARKANSAS YET?

Postby wcutrout » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:05 pm

I am coming to Arkansas Dec. 26-30. I have heard many people say that the ducks just aren't there. With the cold weather up north, I was wandering if the ducks were incresing in numbers. I talked to my friend in Blytheville and he took a plane up the Mississippi and said that he say hundereds of thousands of ducks around St. Louis. Just wandering if the ducks are in Arkansas yet.
wcutrout
hunter

Postby auctioneer523 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:54 pm

With the cold weather pushing through the wayit is right now and the ducks we have had in NE Arkansas, I would say you are timing your visit just right.
auctioneer523
Newb

Postby WhiteRiverguy » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:18 am

I would have to agree...Monday morning I could tell a difference in the numbers of ducks I've been seeing. Killed 4 greenheads and 2 greenwings in a couple of hours. I'm still not seeing the numbers we really want to see, but with every cold front it is getting better! Your hunt should be right on time! :thumbsup:
A duck call, like a shotgun, is only as good as the man behind it. -Phil Robertson
WhiteRiverguy
hunter

Postby wcutrout » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:12 am

Another question...I will be hunting mostly flooded timber and they say if it gets too cold there and freezes everything up the ducks wont stay, they'll just fly on by. I think the dates I am coming it is supposed to warm up a little, but are these places frozen up now?
wcutrout
hunter

Freeze

Postby WhiteRiverguy » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:51 am

The freeze is supposed to last till Sunday. It's true that the ducks will pass by the ice...but...this will be prime time to hit a river (or an area with some current in the water) When those ricefields and shallow timber holes freeze....hit a river. :hammering: BTW....what area of the state will you be hunting?
A duck call, like a shotgun, is only as good as the man behind it. -Phil Robertson
WhiteRiverguy
hunter

Postby wcutrout » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:18 pm

In NE Arkansas around Blytheville, I think it is in Mississippi Co.
wcutrout
hunter

Postby e'villeduck » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:24 pm

If the ducks aren't there, call up Goosebusters (Hoot Gibson) in Alymara, just outside of Stuttgart and he'll put you on some geese and maybe even some ducks. Its a blast.
Time is of the essence, don't waste it.
e'villeduck
hunter

Postby wcutrout » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:31 pm

I was wandering how the weather has been the past few days and if you can tell a difference in the number of ducks?
wcutrout
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting