Thorns Question

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Thorns Question

Postby tubbalowski » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Good afternoon.

I'm from NY, and I took my dog with me hunting in Arkansas last January. We had an awesome time. In fact, I'm going back again in January (different location and guide, however).

During last year's hunt, on the last day I noticed he started limping. I checked his paw, and didn't see anything stuck in it, or any blood. We finished the hunt and got on the rode to drive back to NY.

When we stopped for the evening, I noticed him licking the bottom of his paw. I checked and the paw was a little swollen and had a small puncture wound...smaller than a finishing nail. When I put a little pressure on his foot it started bleeding a lot.

I cleaned with saline, anti bacterial, and bandaged him up. The next day I was home and took him to the vet. The vet said he had a nasty infection and put him on 10 days of antibiotics.

I happened to speak with the guide we used about a week after the hunt. He said that the pond we hunted had a lot of thorn bushes surrounding it....which I knew. He also said that he's seen other dog's have the same problem because there is some sort of toxin on the thorn.

Is there any truth to this, or did he just have a cut that got infected? In other words, is this something I have to be concerned with this January?

Thanks.
tubbalowski
hunter

Re: Thorns Question

Postby greenster » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:09 pm

there are a few toxic/poisonous Plant's here with thorns but usually found in upland areas like cow pastures, I know of no bush's or tree's with thorn's that are toxic. very common for there to be bacteria on the thorns that can/will cause infection. Puncture wounds on a dog feet commonly get infected. Lot's of bad stuff lives in the waters of Arkansas.

I would suggest getting a bottle of Amoxicillin, or another broad spectrum antibiotic. available in pill or liquid. I no longer have a hunting dog, but something that was always on hand.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tubbalowski » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Thanks. I'll get him checked out before we leave on the trip and run getting a dose of antibiotics to have ready just in case by the vet.
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby Edge » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:11 pm

The Honey Locust has thorns about 3" long, my dog got one on the inside of his pad up to his ankle, this was during the mornig hunt and I didn't see it, I noticed later in the blind that he was limping on the way back, 14 retrieves later I saw it, it had started to swell and he had to be crated. I dug it out the next day, but did not hunt him for the rest of the week. I actualy sat on one and ruined a pair of waders.
Edge
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:58 pm

The thorns that I noticed were fairly short, maybe a 1/4"
tubbalowski
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting